What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbourne storm stripped of two titles adn 2010 points wtfffff

TheRev

Coach
Spot on.

They seem to think it's like a foot race. The winner gets disqualified so everyone goes up a notch. Of course it doesn't work that way in a team v team contest and competition.

A few teams were beaten by a cheating Storm in preliminary finals. Silly to say they should be runners up.

Yep, the Storm had an unfair advantage (lets say 10%), but they still won those games on the day, its not like they paid off the opposition or guaranteed a win..

There is no point trying to go back and deciphering who beat who, and which finals result would have led to a different premiership result etc.. every side has their bunnies and their bogey sides.

STG-Dragon

Juniors
Spot on.

They seem to think it's like a foot race. The winner gets disqualified so everyone goes up a notch. Of course it doesn't work that way in a team v team contest and competition.

A few teams were beaten by a cheating Storm in preliminary finals. Silly to say they should be runners up.

f**k oath it's ridiculous! Anyone that says that is an absolute f**king fool!

sting

Bench
On another note, didn't Jeremy smith stay there one more year after we first negotiated with him? I really hope he wasn't involved in this...

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The vast majority (if not all) of the players don't know. The ongoing corruption was very much in the office amongst a few of the suits, and recorded in second books. Jeremy Smith is quite clear of all that.

Gaba

First Grade
Guys this is seriously terrible for the game. This will have a major impact on the next tv deal, Victorian sponsorship and Storm's following in Melb with the Rebel's coming in. Be very p*ssed off at News Limited, but don't be happy, as this is a dark day in rugby league.
Why union isnt a threat in Australia , the game isnt really a Australian sport anymore its an overseas game dont be surprise people wont be supporting the rebels as people think.

AFL support would not be harmed by union as it was by league

DirtyHarry

Juniors
I’m not too sure about this notion that the players didn’t know what was going on.

How can they sign contracts which appear to balance the books, & then receive sweeteners without knowing?

For the 5 years the Storm was rorting the salary cap the NRL audited them like every other club & everything appeared honky dory. If players then received extra payments / benefits on top of those contracts inspected by the NRL how could they be oblivious to what was taking place?

How often does your employer throw a bit extra your way without you knowing? I’m not suggesting all the players knew but surely those on the receiving end were aware that a bit of fiddling was going on. They probably just didn’t know the extent of it.

Maybe I have a simplistic view of things but the NRL is going to investigate players as well as officials. I don’t think the players are in the clear just yet.

big pat

Coach
so if storm win on the weekend, they get nothing and warriors get nothing, is their a point in their some where.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The point is they get nothing.

Not a perfect system, that's for sure. But I don't know what else the NRL could do.

Godz Illa

Coach
I’m not too sure about this notion that the players didn’t know what was going on.

How can they sign contracts which appear to balance the books, & then receive sweeteners without knowing?

For the 5 years the Storm was rorting the salary cap the NRL audited them like every other club & everything appeared honky dory. If players then received extra payments / benefits on top of those contracts inspected by the NRL how could they be oblivious to what was taking place?

How often does your employer throw a bit extra your way without you knowing? I’m not suggesting all the players knew but surely those on the receiving end were aware that a bit of fiddling was going on. They probably just didn’t know the extent of it.

Maybe I have a simplistic view of things but the NRL is going to investigate players as well as officials. I don’t think the players are in the clear just yet.
It's possible the players didn't perceive it as a sweetener - merely the money the expected to get under their "contract". The Storm promised a bit more and if they needed it just made another dodgy payment to the marquee. Adds new spice to the term "marquee signing"

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...mperfect-storm-20100422-tfzs.html?autostart=1

Dragons23

Juniors
Boys seriously,
the players knew.
if they are recieving cash money on the side on game day, then they know something is going on.
The way i see it when a company(cause lets face it the storm and all nrl teams are business) gets done for fraud or something as criminal as this,
the whole company goes down, players included.
they should not be in the comp.

secondly if it was up to me when the recods of 2007 and 2009 are looked up it
should read Manly minor priemers2007, Stgeorge Illawarra minor priemers 2009
i know i'm a saints supporter,
but who's to say that manly n parra deserve it when the whole finals serious was bullsh*t.
the minor priemership means you were the most consistent side in the year.
to look back at 2007 and 2009 and see nothing is ridiculous

silverex

Bench
Since the cheating scum have been exposed, a lot of people have come out and said that Melbourne will survive because ‘we need Melbourne in the comp’.

I disagree with this BS wholeheartedly. Why do we need Melbourne? There isn’t a team in Adelaide, or Perth, or Darwin, so why do we need Melbourne? Will you stop watching the game if there’s no team in Melbourne? Will you not renew your Red V membership if there’s no team in Melbourne? Will you be disappointed if there’s no team in Melbourne?

Then people mention TV audiences and income from advertising. Let’s face it, Melbourne is an AFL city. The number of people who go to games in Melbourne fade into insignificance when compared to AFL crowds. This being the case, you’d have to expect that the TV audience in Melbourne would be similar. So not having a team in Melbourne is going to have minimal affect on the income from TV advertising.

I say, throw Melbourne out. Concentrate on having teams in NSW and Qld where the true followers are.

We don’t need Melbourne!

So endeth the rant!

Steel Dragon

Bench
Since the cheating scum have been exposed, a lot of people have come out and said that Melbourne will survive because ‘we need Melbourne in the comp’.

I disagree with this BS wholeheartedly. Why do we need Melbourne? There isn’t a team in Adelaide, or Perth, or Darwin, so why do we need Melbourne? Will you stop watching the game if there’s no team in Melbourne? Will you not renew your Red V membership if there’s no team in Melbourne? Will you be disappointed if there’s no team in Melbourne?

We need melbourne in the comp because its a gateway to getting teams in Adelaide Perth and Darwin.

The NRL cant afford to think so narrowly on NSW and QLD. There are thousands of fans in places outside of those two states, and if the game is going to grow we need to think larger. If the game doesnt grow it dies.

The NRL should be a NATIONAL competition not just some game played on the east coast.
I'm not saying what Melbourne did was right, I'm not saying that we need new teams at the expense of current clubs (though would anyone miss the sharks if they moved to Adelaide?) But I like to imagine a NRL comp with teams playing in all the capital cities of Australia, a team on the central coast, another QLD team, another NZ team, a PNG side.

Wouldnt it be great to have your team only play everyone else once and its still a 24-26 round comp?

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
These f**kers should be kicked out of the league this season. Why should they be allowed to keep playing? Imagine losing against them and getting players injured? The NRL is f**king useless

BigNormProvan

Juniors
Humiliate them until they hand their licence back in. I'm still on a high after yesterdays news came thru.

Big Norm

big pat

Coach
i was thinking the same thing, what happens if a storm player connects with a high shot, and the other player gets hurt and is out for a couple of weeks.

Latest posts