What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbourne Storm V super 15 rugby

griffo346

First Grade
so theres going to be 4 clubs out of this new stadium

the melb heart and victory
storm and the new super 15 side

It says alot about the mindset both cities.

Another thing I like how you live in the 'sporting capital of ...' I take it you live in Melbourne. I have lived in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane. Melbourne is NOT the sporting capital of ANYTHING. To be a sporting capital, the residents and media need to be accepting of many sports THROUGHOUT the year. Melbourne is ANYTHING but accepting of more than one sport during Winter.

But then again Melbournians are gullible fools who believe any propaganda their government/media gives them

Perth Red

Post Whore
Depends on how much money and energy the ARU has to invest in them. In Perth they gave the force a start up grant of $12mill and also have thrown their support into it by scheduling Wallabie games here and running lots of clinics for schools and jnrs.

Storm still has the big advantage of better profile through FTA in NSW and Q'land to attract better sponsors but we simply have to get the NRL on FTA in Victoria to give the Storm the boost they will need to keep in front of this new side.

Billythekid

First Grade
Both teams will be fine.

The storm get a whole year in the new stadium before the rugby team is brought in and it will almost certainly be a successful season (top 8 minimum).

I expect we will average more than 16,000 next year and will have more than 10,000 season ticket holders before the new S15 team is brought in. So we should have a solid base to build from.

All we need is to get coverage of the game in Melbourne and i can see the storm growing pretty quickly regardless of the S15 side.

El Diablo

Post Whore
May want to read the article.

With Super 15, the season is going to 19 weeks and will be almost parallell with the NRL and AFL seasons.

RIP Yawnion

it was lucky to get anyone watching v no competition

Super 14 was often outrated by Toyota Cup games

May want to read the article.

With Super 15, the season is going to 19 weeks and will be almost parallell with the NRL and AFL seasons.

& that will help it how?
The ratings for S14 are poor when they have no competition (pre NRL,AFL seasons),& drops off the radar completely when these comps kick off.

How will it help if it runs parallel?..

Another thing I like how you live in the 'sporting capital of ...' I take it you live in Melbourne. I have lived in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane. Melbourne is NOT the sporting capital of ANYTHING. To be a sporting capital, the residents and media need to be accepting of many sports THROUGHOUT the year. Melbourne is ANYTHING but accepting of more than one sport during Winter.

But then again Melbournians are gullible fools who believe any propaganda their government/media gives them

Yeah, second that. Sydney, Brisbane and even Perth to some extent support four footy codes. Also look at the difference in approaches between Sydney and Melbourne when it comes to big events. Sydney put on an Olympic ceremony that was full of Australian icons, it was an event for everyone. By contrast at the commonwealth games, we had to sit through flying trams and an Aussie Rules parade. Yeah yeah there’s the Swans, Crows and what-not but it was still a Melbourne-centric thing. In Sydney we could have had a footy player kick a flaming ball to light the cauldron but we didn’t. Second thought – we should’ve.

aussies1st

Staff member
Can't see this effecting the Storm. As long as they stay successful the crowds will come in.

Noa

First Grade
Most people will go to a game and when the Webels fullback gets the ball they'll be waiting in anticipation to see if he has the moves of Billy Slater.

And as the ball goes flying over the sideline near halfway they'll be......... "WTF".

Evenflow

Bench
Yeah, second that. Sydney, Brisbane and even Perth to some extent support four footy codes.

What a load of tripe. You only have to read this forum for 10 minutes to see how much people from Sydney and Brisbane "support" the 4 footy codes. The hatred for yawnion and fumbleball is ferocious. How can you honestly say with a straight face that AFL is supported in Sydney and Brisbane when the ratings are absolutely abysmal in those states even when the home team is playing? Hell even the Storm rate higher in their home town when they're not shown at some ungodly hour.

Some people like to have it both ways depending on what argument they're trying to make. On one hand there's a million threads on here clearly proving that AFL has very little support in the northern states (which it doesn't) by quoting ratings, how nobody knows who kelvin spacey is, how nobody ever talks about it etc etc yet also say in the next breath that these states support AFL when it suits their agenda, namely when it comes to trying to refute that Mexico is the sporting capital. You can't have it both ways as much as some try to.

As for the other code, NSW and QLD do NOT support soccer anywhere near as much as Melbourne do the Victory yet you're saying that NSW and QLD support all the 4 footy codes. Have you seen the crowds for Sydney united, Gold coast united, Brisbane roar and Nth Queensland lately? Sure Sydney soccer fans might jump on the bandwagon when things are going well but for the most part their crowds are sh*t. If you call that support then that game is in bigger trouble than i already thought :sarcasm:

The facts are NSW and QLD only support 2 codes and that's league first and union second. The other 2 have a niche market and a very small minority of supporters. I'm not for one minute saying that Melbourne support all 4 either but to say NSW and QLD do is nothing short of laughable.

Most people will go to a game and when the Webels fullback gets the ball they'll be waiting in anticipation to see if he has the moves of Billy Slater.

And as the ball goes flying over the sideline near halfway they'll be......... "WTF".
& will not have a clue why the toffs in the crowd are clapping.

Green Machine

First Grade
This is the worst thing for Australian Union. They will probably end up with 1 good Super 15 team and 4 average to pitiful teams. My heart bleeds for them,

LESStar58

Referee
Most people will go to Storm and the Rebels. Plus, how long is the Super Rugby season anyway? 3 months or so? Storm will have 3 months of "rugby" supporters all to themselves.

We've done too well to f**k it up beacause of a kick and clap provincial side.

Hanscholo

Bench
I'll be attending both at the new stadium.

This is Melbourne, not Sydney, there will be no code rivalry. If it's a team and it local, they'll come. All codes.

Not if they play that Northern Hempisphere/ SA style of rugby and bore the f**k out of everyone. Most league supporters liked rugby at one stage, the way it was played in the 80's and 90's was really great to watch. These days, i flick to a commercial when it comes on.

RL = great produt, RU = broken product.

Big R

Juniors
Ok, my first post. Yes I’m from Melbourne and recently with all this AFL / NRL code war going on, have been in the recent months scouting your forums.... there really are some NRL ignorant dics on here! But having said that we have someone eyed AFL dics on our side too. So lets call that one even.

First of all let me say I love AFL, but I do follow soccer and NRL. I am a Melb Victory member and watch at least couple of NRL games (not just the storm) every week (especially if I have a bet on) and find them quite entertaining. So you can't call me one eyed.

Ok, now with this Super 15 announcement I have to say that there is very little talk about it right now. Most people do not care. I can tell you although that many people will say that they will support this team, I can't see that happening. People can barrack for a team (like Sydney swans is the most barracked for footy code team in Australia), but when it comes to supporting them like going to games, watching them on TV etc. that is a different story).

The Super 14 missed their boat when they gave Perth their license. People were excited back then cause Melbourne had nothing to support before then as a whole city. In that time the Melbourne Victory have came, peaked (crowds of 25-40k weekly) the dust has settled and a lot of fickle supporters stopped caring and crowds have stabilised at around 20,000. People used to be really excited about supporting Melbourne for anything. That soon wears off. Now it is more about Melbourne Victory representing themselves instead of representing the city of Melbourne.

Even though I think it won't succeed and the International aspect won’t help it that much either, It might still survive. What we call a failure down here in Melbourne (crowds of 15-20k), you guys North of the border might call a raging success. I call that surviving.

One thing I do think that makes the AFL look a little pathetic is trying to be International when AFL fans don't care. When some of my fellow AFL bloggers talk about AFL becoming International, I cringe too....Luckily it doesn't matter though. What is all this talk of AFL will never succeed because it isn't international?? Soccer is international (A-league is going pathetic), Hockey is International (anyone watch their recent championship in Argentina?), league (seriously.... how many proper countries??? 3/4?) ... union (pretty pathetic crowds considering they have a shorter season). Biggest average crowds in the world for sport leagues

(it won't let me post the wikipedia link cause I need 20+ posts:roll:). Search it if ya really want - List of Sports Attendance Figures.

- 5 out of the top 10 are NOT international sports, including the NFL (which a lot of people hate for some reason) right at the top. Why do a lot of you guys hate the NFL anyway? If it only because it is American you have a lot of growing up to do. Just as bad for hating AFL only because it is played in Victoria.

Also why do people think AFL is trying to take over Sydney? They are just after a small Niche market. Even if they get 20% of people in western Sydney supporting them in some form (even minor), that is 400,000 people to try and encourage to watch AFL on TV and attend games. It might increase their dominance as Australia's No 1 football code, but they will never take over.

Being a Storm supporter of kiwi origin I will actually go to both and get season tix for both as well...

Union has quite a solid following in Melbourne and both will co-exist well.

Storm should actually jump on this and offer joint season tickets with the super 15 franchise at discounted prices...both teams will then get good support.

Butters

Bench
Bout time they made it official. I can't wait for the new Super 15 comp, i'll be supporting them all the way.

If anything this strengthens both codes in Melbourne.