What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbourne, Whats The Point ?

HAL

Juniors
It is no surprise to see the melbourne storm recieve little or next to nothing coverage in melbourne on the day the play in the grand final.

Nice try NRL but i think it's time to pack the melbourne up and leave find some place better because this is just f**king pathetic after ten years nothing looks like changing.

Can the you get anymore ignorant ?

effnic

Bench
If the storm win tonight i agree with you piss them off. If we win i think they are good for the nrl.

Bezant

Juniors
Thank you people. We can feel the hatred. Its nice to get the respect we deserve from the bitter supporters of lesser clubs.....:D. I'm starting to understand what made Manly tick when they where the league's most hated team...success. We at the Storm welcome your continued bitterness as a response to our success.

babyg

Juniors
If they get tv ratings of a million tonight then they're probably worth more than half of the sydney clubs combined.

nqboy

First Grade
Geez, did the staff at the asylum leave the doors open? So many loonies around.

winnyason

Juniors
the facts say that it is not working off the field crowds of only 12 thousand still no local juniors.

If the plan of the nrl is to have a team in a AFL city then i have always thought perth would work larger enough to support team & a culture for the sport with the expat kiwis & south afrcians plus the huge unflux of east coast people through the mining boom.
History showed that locals where coming through at perth after only two years.

mark123

Juniors
Turns out my second post back. Last mayhaps.

Some people have no clue, do they?

You want a little sydney competition.....dont you?.....you want to have smaller player payments...dont you? (i bet some of the players would want to come over and BEAT YOU UP!! dork....)....you want less exposure.......dont you? ......

you want all the good players to go to the ESL or Union......thanks man.....millions of league supporters world wide want to string you up and quarter you!!

Dont you see?

You clearly dont....kill melbourne and you kill the games reach, you deny it sponsors dollars and tv exposure and money, and you can expect the game to shrink, and perhaps even wither to the point where you'd sell your soul to have it back to the way it was.

Nothing truly good was ever easy.

And you can expect the same fight over in perth when league goes there.....do the hard yards and reap the rewards....

melbourne may not translate into bums on seats, but it gets viewers at the big end of season, sponsors, tv exposure, bigger tv contract....

they have a new stadium soon, may just help. It takes years to become a part of the culture....

look at Lions.....20 years, 3 premierships, but only a few fans in comparison to broncos.

They still fill stadiums....but no one laughs at them....and i dont think many people are laughing at storm

except for fools like you who have an inferiority complex, and think by shrinking league back to two main markets is the way to go.....you belong in the juvenile basket buddy....go back to your x box...toys for little boys.

innsaneink

Referee
,..............Walking through the Manly Corso yesterday you could think even Manly hates Manly. There was precious little evidence the local team was about to play in a grand final. One lonely Manly flag flew at the town hall and most shops and bars were maroon-free zones.
James Gibbs, manager of The Element clothes store, was one of the few to have balloons in his shop window.
A Sea Eagles fan, Mr Gibbs was disappointed with the lack of visible local support.
"There's a lot of support for Manly around here but you just can't see it," he said............

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/storm/its-a-hatehate-relationship/2007/09/29/1190486633194.html

t-ba

Post Whore
It doesn't help that it's the Manly Jazz Festival this weekend.

There's more colour the further North you go. But yes, it's not massive.

Also: More people watched the GF in Melbourne last year than Sydney. Frankly, that's point enough for me...

Misty Bee

First Grade
Storm fans, no one is denyiong your on field sucess. But what inroads are being made in to the fabric of Melbourne?

33000 was a good crowd. However, in terms of what codes can draw in the capitals, it's not crash hot. All 4 codes can and have drawn that number in Sydney and Brisbane.

For mine, Melbourne hasn't been accepted as a resident in it's own city. Pity, because there couldn't be a better ad for League than the Storm has been down there. Sucessful, has bred fueds with other clubs, has exciting players (Slater on his day sin the most exiting sportsperson south of the Murray), plus the code's undying support.

But it's typical of the Super League influenced clubs to blame everything on Sydney. The problem lies in your backyard. Your media is arrogant. The general populace has a chip on it's shoulder against anything from NSW. It is turning it's back on League generally - despte the contradiction that draws with it's claim as the sports capital of Oz.

Most of the arguments Storm fans are using is about the future of the code. You are 100% right - Melbourne Storm is there to break down barriers and expand our great game. It's not there to average 13000 to matches or get 33000 to a GF Qualifier. North Sydney did all of that. Hence the comparison to Gosford.

So why not relocate them to Gosford? We would lose nothing in the way of gate revinue, would we. The reason is to grow League into Victoria. That is done by getting the media, and tehrefore the gemeral populace - to accept you. You haven't done that. That's why people still talk about moving Melbourne.

Stop blaming Sydney. Start doing YOUR job.

pantherz9103

First Grade
Another anti Storm thread. Alot of people are going to be pissed if the Storm win and I have no sympathy for them at all.

how can we expect to have an international game when in our own country we give support to less than half of it? keep melbourne, ur a f**king genius if u think otherwise.

joshreading

Staff member
what was North Sydney's average in their last couple of years?

I am all for ressurecting the Bears at the right time on the Central Coast but this rubbish about the Storm honestly has to stop. The more rubbish talk that goes on the more RL fans and others ignorantly start to believe the lies.

The potential of a million plus fans in Melbourne as seen in Grandfinals can be translated in time as is being done into general fans of the Storm that in time will tune in regularly. Nine just needs to be consistent.

The core attending supporter base of Melbourne is probably larger than nearly any Sydney club - it always helps when away fans can show up regulary because they live 15 minutes away.

The Corporate support of Melbourne is already larger than the Central Coast could ever hope for. People talk of melbourne losing some money - can U please put your hand up if your Sydney club made a profit this year?????

If Syndey clubs don't grow beyond their Leagues clubs as the Storm needs to grow beyod the assistance of News you might find some want to move to new fertile territory yourself.

Billythekid

First Grade
pennywisealfie said:
how can we expect to have an international game when in our own country we give support to less than half of it? keep melbourne, ur a f**king genius if u think otherwise.

Finally someone sais it. I get sick of hearing people talk about expanding the game and exlude melbourne from that conversation it's ludicrious.

realredhillboy

Juniors
gee lack of media coverage? what with the big colour spread and the run down and stats of both teams in the herald sun .... gee thats lack of coverage:roll:

StormChaser

First Grade
I think the problem lies with having the two grand finals on the same weekend. Maybe if the people in melbs had a week to get over their AFL GF they might have been more supportive of the storm.