What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbournes Money

What to do with Melbourne $8 million cash injection

• Total voters

Juniors
melbourne storm run down -

11 years in the nrl
3 premierships
5 grand finals
3 minor premierships
new world class 300 million dollar stadium
almost 10000 members
some of the greatest players and coaching staff in the world
under 20's premiers
under 16 's grand finalists
jersey highest advertising worth in the nrl
stand alone premier league team being introduced
respectible crowd and tv audiences
oh yeah did i mention 11 years old...

we arnt going anywhere fuc*ers, we are what other franchises dream they could be.

Last edited:

big_matt

Juniors
as a supporter of a club, my interest and investment (emotional and financial) is to see my club win the premiership. the agenda and goals of competitions such as the AFL and NRL in favouring certain teams and the benefits they're able to promote over others prevent this.

the AFL did the job in ensuring 4 of this decade's premierships, and 6 GF's featured teams in 'markets' they are targetting. the NRL has leant this way as well, with teams owned by News Ltd also winning 4 premierships, and featuring in 6 GFs this decade as well.

so why should i bother putting the time into the game as a supporter when the competition is simply used to satisfy agenda and administrators attempt to give certain teams an advantage to be competitive in the markets they choose?

that's right, the australian sporting public is dumb. its become more of a 'my sport is bigger and better your sport' BS, rather than achieving some sort of integrity within the compeition itself.

I still can't find your explanation of why being owned by News Ltd won us the grand final. We have identical wage bill to Parramatta (in fact I believe its a tiny bit less) for our playing squad, and our coaches receive similar salaries.

I also can't find out your explanation of why the Cowboys don't win anything when they were a news ltd team up until very recently. Does that not destroy the theory of 'If they're a news ltd team they will automatically win things'?

Its not about my sport is bigger than your sport at all, its the fact that without significant TV money no sport will survive here in Australia in such a small market. The salary cap is too tight as it is and players are moving to England, but you think 9 will pay up for a much bigger tv deal if its only a small comp between sydney and south east queensland teams? If you do you are kidding yourself. Losing the Storm, Cowboys etc would put well established Sydney teams like Parra, Bulldogs etc in big trouble in the long term. Only 1 million people in Sydney watched the GF and that was the highest figure for 5 years. That tv audience alone can't sustain a sport on tv contracts.

I agree with your point that sport shouldn't be about tv, but thats the way of the world.

Sydney teams that are not well run can easily use the excuses "storm had the pick of the best players". "they are owned by news ltd" etc.

Look at the Roosters. They are paying 400k a year for Willie Mason. That's what we are paying GI and Cam Smith! Do clubs like that deserve to do better than the storm cause they have been around for longer and aren't owned by news ltd, or should they be doing badly because they are paying silly wages for average players?

Another point I'd note is that the storm have developed lots of talent. GI has himself stated that he credits the storm staff and culture for turning into the player he is. He may not have ended up entertaining us all at the level he's at if he had be scouted to another team.

As for us just being handed the best talent, many of our important players were unwanted and Bellamy has turned them around:

1) We took Lima from a lower tier club in france and turned him into one of the best front rowers in the NRL

2) We took a guy no-one wanted (Finch) on minimum wage and he became a big part of our GF success

3) We took Tandy at the age of 28 from NSW club football and he played a big part in the GF

4) We took Dallas Johnson after he was rejected by 7 other clubs (including Sydney sides) and made him into a Kangaroo and QLD stalwart.

5) We took in Brett White after Sydney teams passed on him due to knee problems and poor form and made him into an SOO and Kangaroos front rower.

6) Cronk was passed over by other teams and was destined to play back row in QLD Cup.

I could go on and on but yeah its hardly just a case of the best talent being put into our lap and us not having to do anything.

And for the dragons fan above saying we don't have locals in our junior system: LOL at YOU! Every single player in our U16's is a born and bred victorian!!!

taxidriver

Coach
all helped by the millions of dollars spent to prop you up.

is this an advantage other clubs don't have?

big_matt

Juniors
all helped by the millions of dollars spent to prop you up.

is this an advantage other clubs don't have?

You're right, it took millions to recruit Dallas after every other club rejected him and he came to us absolutely desperate for a contract. There is just no way any other NRL club could have pulled that off without getting millions a year from News ltd.

You get money from pokies in your leagues club. We get it from news ltd. But we use it better, and thats why we win.

Money from News Ltd is an advantage the Broncos have, and I dont remember them winning the GF on Sunday. Cowboys had it till very recently, and dont remember them making the 8.

matt

Juniors
I have to say dont all of these news LTD execs have something better to do then push the storms agenda hidden behind names like tiger this ,bears that.
Actually it is quite well done,What better way to push their propaganda than their papers.

storm f**k off and take that horse you rode in on.

thanks.

meltiger

First Grade
Matt, can only guess you're a Canberra supporter given your posting levels on that board?

ozjet1

is it simply a coincidence then that the News Ltd group have investments in both the storm and broncos?

im sure somewhere along the line, its dawned on them that both these 'clubs' are single-town teams in markets which can provide big financial awards for their investment in the game.

Last edited:

Juniors
maybe the storm should follow newtowns footy club rules of running a successful club, maybe just maybe then we can feed to the wooden spooners and have sub par seasons in nsw cup.... d!ck

big_matt

Juniors
is it simply a coincidence then that the News Ltd group have investments in both the storm and broncos?

im sure somewhere along the line, its dawned on them that both these 'clubs' are single-town teams in big markets for the game.

They were also in control of the Cowboys. Townsville is a huge market though as well - maybe the biggest city in Australia.

Shouldn't mention the cowboys though cause they don't support the conspiracy theory very well since they don't win anything despite all the news ltd advantages they had.

And the Roosters team that got to 3 straight grand finals earlier this decade must have also been owned 100% by News Ltd given their success.....eh...actually they weren't.

Loving the conspiracy theories on here. You could write a book on them.

What's next?

Did News Ltd tear Cayless's hamstring?
Did News Ltd instruct the Parra players to stand around looking at each other while GI scored?
Did News Ltd tell the dragons forwards to be frightened of an average broncos pack?
Did News Ltd employ GI's girlfriend to make up a story to get him arrested?

Where does it all end?

Actually, come to think of it we did recieve some huge favours, maybe News Ltd were helping us out after all:

Keating got to play against us despite a chicken wing in the prelim
Hayne got to play against us despite kneeing someone in the head in the prelim
Our skipper was banned from last years GF
Some of our very best players had to leave the last few years

Without News Ltd helping us out with all that we would have got nowhere near the GF!!!

_Johnsy

Referee
maybe the storm should follow newtowns footy club rules of running a successful club, maybe just maybe then we can feed to the wooden spooners and have sub par seasons in nsw cup.... d!ck

Princess,

If your "franchise" could stand on your own two feet without copping a $6,000,000 handout per year from uncle rupert (to keep your club afloat), then you may have grounds to take pot shots at clubs like newtown. Until your "franchise" can do that, just be thankful you're in the NRL.

meltiger

First Grade

im sure somewhere along the line, its dawned on them that both these 'clubs' are single-town teams in markets which can provide big financial awards for their investment in the game.

Way to avoid all arguments made against your initial statements and simply put forward conspiracy theories :lol:

big country

Juniors

Newtown doesnt get the $8mil a year from good ole Ruperrrrrt;-)

matt

Juniors
They were also in control of the Cowboys. Townsville is a huge market though as well - maybe the biggest city in Australia.

Shouldn't mention the cowboys though cause they don't support the conspiracy theory very well since they don't win anything despite all the news ltd advantages they had.

And the Roosters team that got to 3 straight grand finals earlier this decade must have also been owned 100% by News Ltd given their success.....eh...actually they weren't.

Loving the conspiracy theories on here. You could write a book on them.

What's next?

Did News Ltd tear Cayless's hamstring?
Did News Ltd instruct the Parra players to stand around looking at each other while GI scored?
Did News Ltd tell the dragons forwards to be frightened of an average broncos pack?
Did News Ltd employ GI's girlfriend to make up a story to get him arrested?

Where does it all end?

Actually, come to think of it we did recieve some huge favours, maybe News Ltd were helping us out after all:

Keating got to play against us despite a chicken wing in the prelim
Hayne got to play against us despite kneeing someone in the head in the prelim
Our skipper was banned from last years GF
Some of our very best players had to leave the last few years

Without News Ltd helping us out with all that we would have got nowhere near the GF!!!
that is part of the spin..some are put forth to throw the hounds off the scent,but the blood hounds are circling now..their days are numbered.

ozjet1

my last post was in the same form as you and others here. debate with a question. if i havent provided anything new, then neither of any of you.

its obvious that im dealing with storm fans or folks who take the propaganda and views of the DT and programs on Fox as gospel. because only they would also agree that the 'independence in appearance' test has not been breached.

j5o6hn

Juniors
and when theres only you and three friends watching the Rugby League while down the road the AFL is dragging 50,000 through the gate you can blame NEWs LTD.
Some of you have no idea of the real world it has taken the Swans 35yrs and they are still not that popular the storm has had ten and they are doing OK.
I dont think I would put anyone from NSW in charge of anything you lot can think beyond yesterday.
Look at the Leagues clubs all the for site of a gnat,smoking the lot they did not think it would happen so like some on this thread they stuck their heads in the sand and look what happened