What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melon's Rankings for 2006

Bicey_18

Bench
Frailty said:
Jono78.... you gave the Knights a 7 for depth? Are you joking?

THe sharks have a 6 yet when both teams lost their halfback, Cronulla managed to win games unlike Newcastle.

Newcastle has no depth at all

lol no depth at all?

1. Seage, Thaiday, Cooper
2. Carney, Salkeld, Cooper, Carmont
3. M Gidley, Carmont, Cooper, Tighe,
4. Tighe, Carmont, Cooper,
5. Quinn, Cooper, Salkeld, Carmont, Thaiday
6. K Gidley, Mullen, Tighe, Lowrie, Brown
7. Johns, Campbell, K Gidley
8. Smith, Davico, Perry, Woolnough, Worth, White
9. Buderus, Quigley, Spiteri
10. Perry, Woolnough, Smith, Davico, Worth, White
11. Simpson, Lowrie, Tanner, Snowden, Abraham,
12. Newton, Abraham, Lowrie, Tanner, Snowden
13. Abraham, Reynoldson, Tanner, Lowrie, Brown

I think we have most positions pretty well covered

At Full Strength

1. Milton Thaiday
2. Brian Carney
3. Matt Gidley
4. Brad Tighe
5. Anthony Quinn
6. Kurt Gidley
7. Andrew Johns
8. Craig Smith
9. Danny Buderus
10. Josh Perry
11. Steve Simpson
12. Clint Newton
13. Daniel Abraham

14. Adam Woolnough
15. Luke Davico
16. Kirk Reynoldson
17. Riley Brown

Add to that players like Lowrie, Tanner, Seage,Salkeld, Carmont, Mullen,Snowden,Cooper... there is a fair bit of depth imo

You cant tell me that full strength side isnt a top 8 team?

Bicey_18

Bench
Jono078 said:
When we lose Johns our X-Factor goes down.

And plus it wasnt just Johns missing, we had almost half our FG team missing for most of the season.

And howcome everyone forgets 2004? I beleive we won 8 games without Johns.

Selective memories I think Jono....

Frailty

First Grade
None of that 'depth' I would say is anything special over any other sides reserve grade and thats why i disagree with a 7 for your depth when it is very average when considered against most sides

nqboy

First Grade
The fact that Carmont is listed in the depth for four positions concerns me for a start.

Parra Guru

Coach
Raider_69 said:
pigs arse mate, that Parra - Raiders game, parra played quite well, just the Raiders played out of their skins... helped having Todd Carney show some of his potential in that game... all he needs is consistancy

Borderline. Not as bad as the other games mentioned.

Perhaps I just had the sh!ts that day because I crawled out of bed with the flu, and had to go to the local just to watch it. :lol:

thickos

First Grade
Bicey_18 said:
Selective memories I think Jono....

No... in 2004 Johns' support cast (Kennedy, RobbieO etc..), the class players you used to have before they all left the sinking ship chipped in and helped you with a few wins in 04.

Its Newcastle fans with the selective memories ignoring the fact they didn't jag their first win in 05 until Rd 16 or whatever it was. That's a stat that can't be ignored, injury crisis or not.

sooperdooper

First Grade
if that is what you call depth for newcastle i am beginning to think we are a 10. sure now alot of your reserve graders have played nrl, however i dont think any of them carry the flag for newcastle.... meaning that they are not that great!

Snoop

Coach
Bicey_18 said:
At Full Strength

1. Milton Thaiday
2. Brian Carney
3. Matt Gidley
4. Brad Tighe
5. Anthony Quinn
6. Kurt Gidley
7. Andrew Johns
8. Craig Smith
9. Danny Buderus
10. Josh Perry
11. Steve Simpson
12. Clint Newton
13. Daniel Abraham

14. Adam Woolnough
15. Luke Davico
16. Kirk Reynoldson
17. Riley Brown

Add to that players like Lowrie, Tanner, Seage,Salkeld, Carmont, Mullen,Snowden,Cooper... there is a fair bit of depth imo

You cant tell me that full strength side isnt a top 8 team?

For starters you'd have Cooper instead of Gids and Seage at the back with Thaiday on the wing cause Quinn is crap. Perry would be benched cause he's soft and Davico will partner Smith in the front row, zimmerframes optional.

As for your list of backups, they are nothing special. They've got first grade experience but they contributed to an unprecidented losing streak. Salkeld and Tanner improved but the rest of that lot are not worth watching.

Raider_69 said:
pigs arse mate, that Parra - Raiders game, parra played quite well, just the Raiders played out of their skins... helped having Todd Carney show some of his potential in that game... all he needs is consistancy

Even though the Raiders won that game, I still think he didn't do much. I've seen Carney play in the Reserves but nad he is really good he just hasn't transferred that form over too 1st grade.

Jono078

Referee
snoopster77 said:
And how many did you lose without Johns in 2004?

More than we won...

But that is besides the fact. Most teams would lose with their 'backup' halves.

It was just an opinion and I dont know why most are getting all fussy about me giving Knights a 7 in depth...

Which teams would be higher besides for the ones that are higher in my list?

Snoop

Coach
Jono078 said:
More than we won...

But that is besides the fact. Most teams would lose with their 'backup' halves.

So why bring it up in the first place?

Jono said:
It was just an opinion and I dont know why most are getting all fussy about me giving Knights a 7 in depth...

Most of the posts on this forum are opinions and funnily enough people have differing opinions. It seems that other people don't agree with your opinion.

Jono said:
Which teams would be higher besides for the ones that are higher in my list?

The Broncos and Roosters have better depth than the Knights. I'd say the nights are closer to the bunch of teams on 6. Then again, that's simply my opinion.

Jono078

Referee
So why bring it up in the first place?

Because someone said we cant win without Johns.

For the rest of what you said... Fair Enough.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
YAWN

Why is it that most topics relating to the Knights (I know this isnt entirely about them) automatically turn into a sledging of Johns? Its getting quite tiresome, I would have thought the novelty would have worn off by now ...............

Snoop

Coach
Jobdog said:
YAWN

Why is it that most topics relating to the Knights (I know this isnt entirely about them) automatically turn into a sledging of Johns? Its getting quite tiresome, I would have thought the novelty would have worn off by now ...............

How's you knee? You must have jerked it right off.

Most of what has been said is that the Knights are dead in the water without Johns which would mean that most people think he is crucial to the team. How that is sledging Johns?

Smartman

Juniors
Good post Melon, didnt know you had it in you. :eek:

The stats look very ugly for Canterbury with a piss poor year and one of the worst injury tolls in the modern era.

Thats the biggest flaw in these stats is that its only based on last year.

The rooters and the dogs will get back in the 8 with the sharks and storm dropping out.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Parra Guru said:
Borderline. Not as bad as the other games mentioned.

Perhaps I just had the sh!ts that day because I crawled out of bed with the flu, and had to go to the local just to watch it. :lol:

:lol: fair enough that
better that then driving 3 hours there and back with the flu down to canberra to watch us get pumped by souths :lol:

Raider_69

Post Whore
Jake the snake said:
Even though the Raiders won that game, I still think he didn't do much. I've seen Carney play in the Reserves but nad he is really good he just hasn't transferred that form over too 1st grade.

on the hole i agree
but in that game he was one of our best. Easily his best game for us in FG so far and a small glimpse of what we know he can do

Roosters cannot win the comp without Comrade Finchnikov it is like the Soviet Russian Government trying to regulate the alcohol content of vodka - doomed to fail.

Latest posts