What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Member Information Evening - May 16

Parko1310

Juniors
Parko , just how do you get rid of the board ? How about we work on what is achievable?
Ah, but we can get rid of the board. It's a long, long process though. Are we as fans taking the Dragons way out and not doing anything about the board because it's all too hard? Protests, member boycotts, merchandise boycotts, etc, etc. That sort of thing over long periods of time is what will eventually see the Gordon's sell up. Preferably St George Leagues should sell up too, we need one owner, or at the very least owners that are on the same page and want genuine success.

Paddles

Juniors
I’m not a member. I wrote to Webb to cancel after Griffin’s racist Twitter crap, asked if he reckoned this was the guy to rebuild a club culture around, and said I’d sign up again when he goes. But if anyone is going and looking for a question can I offer:

‘Griffin’s treatment of Sullivan on the weekend was personal and vengeful. It made no sense in the context of the game, and showed a lack of leadership and class. He’s now doing damage to the team in the short and long term. When will you sack him?’

BTB

Juniors
I’m not a member. I wrote to Webb to cancel after Griffin’s racist Twitter crap, asked if he reckoned this was the guy to rebuild a club culture around, and said I’d sign up again when he goes. But if anyone is going and looking for a question can I offer:

‘Griffin’s treatment of Sullivan on the weekend was personal and vengeful. It made no sense in the context of the game, and showed a lack of leadership and class. He’s now doing damage to the team in the short and long term. When will you sack him?’
Yes, Griffin must not be the Coach for one more Game.
He is trying to damage to this group. This useless Board must act now.

Dragon David

First Grade
Ah, but we can get rid of the board. It's a long, long process though. Are we as fans taking the Dragons way out and not doing anything about the board because it's all too hard? Protests, member boycotts, merchandise boycotts, etc, etc. That sort of thing over long periods of time is what will eventually see the Gordon's sell up. Preferably St George Leagues should sell up too, we need one owner, or at the very least owners that are on the same page and want genuine success.
I know that we are more or less in dire straits at the moment, but do you think that if the club ends up in a bad way by all of the protests, boycotts etc that the NRL could cancel our licence or rid us out of the competition? Just enquiring!!

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
I know that we are more or less in dire straits at the moment, but do you think that if the club ends up in a bad way by all of the protests, boycotts etc that the NRL could cancel our licence or rid us out of the competition? Just enquiring!!
Good question. My limited knowledge is yes, the NRL could cancel the license but they would need very sound grounds on which to do so. There might be commercial and financial reasons which could initiate a cancellation, but I don't think the club is travelling so poorly that that would happen. We still have plenty of members and fans, people still turn up to games and watch on the TV, and there would a huge outcry as there was for South Sydney if cancellation were to be flagged. I think it's more likely that the NRL would call the Chairman and CEO into a meeting and read the riot act to them if they weren't happy - and we would probably hear about it in the media if this ever happened.

Carrera28

Juniors
Replacing the board is straight forward, there is nothing dodgy or untoward.

1) Join the St George Leagues Club as a voting member. Half the board plus the Chairmen are appointed by the St George Leagues Club. Get involved, support alternative members of the St George Leagues Club Board that you believe will better perform. Campaign on their behalf and present articulate and well structured arguments that convince Leagues Club members to vote for your preferred candidate who then votes for new baord memebrs for football club.

2) Buy shares in WIN Corporation. The other half of the board is appointed by WIN Corporation. Win Corporation have an annual shareholder meeting. At this shareholder meeting present an articulate and thoughtful position to the board members present articulating why the current football club board is not doing a good job and campaign for alternative membership. If enough dragons fans bought shares in WIN they could form a voting block that gives their proxy votes to a single representative which would give the fans a real say in the other half of the ownership block.

Both these paths require hard work, discipline, structure and the development and presentation of cogent and structured arguments that influence others. Protests and banners are much easier but unfortunately in a business environment it is usually business processes that ultimately win the day.

justadragon

Bench

1) Join the St George Leagues Club as a voting member. Half the board plus the Chairmen are appointed by the St George Leagues Club. Get involved, support alternative members of the St George Leagues Club Board that you believe will better perform. Campaign on their behalf and present articulate and well structured arguments that convince Leagues Club members to vote for your preferred candidate who then votes for new baord memebrs for football club.

2) Buy shares in WIN Corporation. The other half of the board is appointed by WIN Corporation. Win Corporation have an annual shareholder meeting. At this shareholder meeting present an articulate and thoughtful position to the board members present articulating why the current football club board is not doing a good job and campaign for alternative membership. If enough dragons fans bought shares in WIN they could form a voting block that gives their proxy votes to a single representative which would give the fans a real say in the other half of the ownership block.

Both these paths require hard work, discipline, structure and the development and presentation of cogent and structured arguments that influence others. Protests and banners are much easier but unfortunately in a business environment it is usually business processes that ultimately win the day.
I think the Gordons are the biggest share holders in WinCORP, and the reason we would never see them at games or giving a shit is because they are based in Bermuda, so who gives a crap what the Dragons are doing.

denis preston

First Grade
Bloody hell , these bans will send the club to Perth for sure ! So who do you envisage would be interested in a club that has decreasing membership , merchandise sales and owners willing to fire sale the lot ?

Draginzaaar

Bench

This is why no one tries. We don't know any alternative members that could do a better job and will they? Who knows, they may be just as bad.

Well im expecting by tomorrow night the board will have acted and will think the fans will now be happy.Bullshit they are-theres far more questions to be answered than just the coach. Its hard to tell how much feedback the board gets or reads for themselves. If i was them id secretly be on all the fan sites to see what the fans are talking about. Im hoping they sense our anger, but i guess we'll find out tomorrow night. Its sad that the number attending is so low-but thats what you get when you hold it down in the Gong early on a week night. Hopefully the Zoom numbers will be big and we get a chance to voice our opinions. We live in hope!!

Mojo

Bench
WIN Corp is a private company. The public can't simply buy shares.

The only way to change the Board and achieve sole ownership is a buyout of WIN's interest (which I believe has a preemption clause applied to it - ie; it can't just be sold that easily, even if WIN was receptive to an offer). But, I reckon the only way is for StGI members to create a pool of funds and start direct negotiations with WIN - as a starting point. Obviously, they'd demand a premium, or simply refuse regardless of the amount offered. But, Gordon is a businessman first and foremost.
Better still, raise about $20m and try to buy out both sides. It will be decades before earning a return on investment though so we'd need a whole lot of people to be prepared to pay the price.
Alternatively, try to find a new suitor with lots of money to burn. Careful though, because we could end up with a single owner that could be worse than the JV.

Mojo

Bench
Of what's happening.
JDB talked to media he didn't know anything that's Hook has been told he's officially gone.
Players now called to a meeting to be informed.
Fair enough. I'm sure they'll be promptly informed.
Personally, I would say it's advisable not to inform others beforehand in a situation of a person's contract being terminated. JDB also said it didn't really concern him very much because it's a management decision.