What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mental Health

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Yeah, I’m going to try to adhere a bit closer to the idea tomorrow at work. See how I go.

Im teaching the daughter to drive, her first go was last weekend. She reached 20kph and thought she was fangio, she cleaned up a few overhanging branches in the carpark and her foot slipped off the brake onto the accelerator and we got intimate with the kerb. Daddy driving school, she’s all good…but I’m biting my tongue and losing my hair faster than Bea.

I hear another voice in the car by surprise and find out her friend is on the phone on FaceTime in the backseat. So much for focus! That’s not happening again I can assure you.

Im tough. Her penalty for that indiscretion was no signing of her driving book!

Cruel to be kind and hopefully save her and someone else’s life one day. The car is a lethal weapon. Especially the 2jz 3 litre engine she’s driving.
I'm also teaching my daughter to drive. Fmd what a time. I didn't have an anxiety issue before I had a 16 Yr old.

I'm also teaching my daughter to drive. Fmd what a time. I didn't have an anxiety issue before I had a 16 Yr old.
Yeah, my one is 16 too.

Im surprised she’s not trying to do her hair while reversing.

Before anyone goes me for being sexist, this is 16 year girl stuff.

Many youngsters love all that glam business for some unknown reason. I suppose she wonders why I love rugby league. I must be a complete and utter freak from her perspective.

That’s probably an observation for our mental health issue. We make a lot of assumptions about people based on our own experience and learning. But people see the world differently. Changing peoples perspectives can be challenging and vice versa. We’ve all held our ground vehemently only to be corrected later.

She doesn’t even follow the Tigers ( ‘spose I should be grateful). I might have to fork out for lessons. Get the experts in. Follow my own advice!

In the big scheme of things, is it that important to be right all of the time? I don’t think so tbh.

Life is too short. Thinking about the present, the object of this post was to share an experience, maybe raise a laugh and make some general observations. Pretty neutral.

Last edited:

Suitman

Post Whore

Myself and my ex taught my then 16 yo to drive. She is now 18, has her red P's and drives what I would call rather competently. It was the amazing the difference between the two approaches to this driver training.

I taught my daughter in my manual Mazda BT50 work ute. A huge car AND a manual. A very difficult car for a 16 yo girl to learn on. All our lessons were calm, relaxed and beneficial to her driving skills. I took her to the industrial area around Rose Hill racecourse on Sundays, when there was little to no traffic (besides the odd large truck or petrol tanker) and we had the roads to ourselves. She learnt so much. Yes, she made some mistakes but I would point them out and encourage her to learn from them.

The ex took her straight out onto local roads in her latest BMW M3 with all the bells and whistles. My god, the amount of arguments those two got into was incredible. Absolute screaming matches. Yelling at someone who is learning to drive seemed counter-productive to me, but, it is what happened.
It got to a point where my daughter only wanted lessons from me in the more difficult car to drive simply because the lessons with her mum were so stressful.
Anyway, she is now quite a decent driver for her lack of experience. I'd like to think I was responsible for her confidence.
It's tough work teaching someone to drive but calm and patience is the best way.

Myself and my ex taught my then 16 yo to drive. She is now 18, has her red P's and drives what I would call rather competently. It was the amazing the difference between the two approaches to this driver training.

I taught my daughter in my manual Mazda BT50 work ute. A huge car AND a manual. A very difficult car for a 16 yo girl to learn on. All our lessons were calm, relaxed and beneficial to her driving skills. I took her to the industrial area around Rose Hill racecourse on Sundays, when there was little to no traffic (besides the odd large truck or petrol tanker) and we had the roads to ourselves. She learnt so much. Yes, she made some mistakes but I would point them out and encourage her to learn from them.

The ex took her straight out onto local roads in her latest BMW M3 with all the bells and whistles. My god, the amount of arguments those two got into was incredible. Absolute screaming matches. Yelling at someone who is learning to drive seemed counter-productive to me, but, it is what happened.
It got to a point where my daughter only wanted lessons from me in the more difficult car to drive simply because the lessons with her mum were so stressful.
Anyway, she is now quite a decent driver for her lack of experience. I'd like to think I was responsible for her confidence.
It's tough work teaching someone to drive but calm and patience is the best way.
I will probably sign her book thanks to you and @Soren Lorenson.

I should give her at least a warning.

Cheers.

Bandwagon

Staff member

Lolz, I had so much the same experience teaching my daughters to drive, the ex had like some kinda panic button thing going on which just made every one edgy. My eldest seemed always to find a reason not to go driving on mum days. The younger one just dealt with it.

Suitman

Post Whore
I'd just like to wish everyone here a Happy New Year, particularly those doing it a bit tough at the moment.
I hope everyone has a better '23, if '22 hasn't been your year.

I paraphrase, but I read something like this on fb today...

"May your tears of despair from this year water your seeds of hope you have planted for next year".

Or something like that.
Take it easy and take care merkins.

Avenger

Immortal
Guys

I’ve been meaning to post this for some time and I spoke about it to a couple of friends and they agreed. They felt the same way.

Have you noticed things just feel different since the pandemic? I’m no conspiracy theorist but the world isn’t the same. I appreciate we have all been through some tough times with work, the lockdowns, vaccinations and the disruption to our lives but ever since we returned to ‘normal’ things just feel different. I don’t know whether we are just older or traumatised by the experience but I personally don’t seem to be as happy and content as I once was.

Things on the surface appear to be normal and nothing has changed that much for me personally (I did lose dad which was awful) but it just doesn’t feel right and I fear we will never get back to that ‘world’ again. It’s like we are living in some sort of matrix now. Maybe I’m still grieving, I don’t know but stuff doesn’t excite me as much as it used to.