What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mental Health

hindy111

Post Whore
Guys

I’ve been meaning to post this for some time and I spoke about it to a couple of friends and they agreed. They felt the same way.

Have you noticed things just feel different since the pandemic? I’m no conspiracy theorist but the world isn’t the same. I appreciate we have all been through some tough times with work, the lockdowns, vaccinations and the disruption to our lives but ever since we returned to ‘normal’ things just feel different. I don’t know whether we are just older or traumatised by the experience but I personally don’t seem to be as happy and content as I once was.

Things on the surface appear to be normal and nothing has changed that much for me personally (I did lose dad which was awful) but it just doesn’t feel right and I fear we will never get back to that ‘world’ again. It’s like we are living in some sort of matrix now. Maybe I’m still grieving, I don’t know but stuff doesn’t excite me as much as it used to.

I feel a lot of people have become less social. Including me.

lingard

Coach
Myself and my ex taught my then 16 yo to drive. She is now 18, has her red P's and drives what I would call rather competently. It was the amazing the difference between the two approaches to this driver training.

I taught my daughter in my manual Mazda BT50 work ute. A huge car AND a manual. A very difficult car for a 16 yo girl to learn on. All our lessons were calm, relaxed and beneficial to her driving skills. I took her to the industrial area around Rose Hill racecourse on Sundays, when there was little to no traffic (besides the odd large truck or petrol tanker) and we had the roads to ourselves. She learnt so much. Yes, she made some mistakes but I would point them out and encourage her to learn from them.

The ex took her straight out onto local roads in her latest BMW M3 with all the bells and whistles. My god, the amount of arguments those two got into was incredible. Absolute screaming matches. Yelling at someone who is learning to drive seemed counter-productive to me, but, it is what happened.
It got to a point where my daughter only wanted lessons from me in the more difficult car to drive simply because the lessons with her mum were so stressful.
Anyway, she is now quite a decent driver for her lack of experience. I'd like to think I was responsible for her confidence.
It's tough work teaching someone to drive but calm and patience is the best way.
I learnt to drive in the 70"s behind Rose hill race course. I wonder how many others did?

lingard

Coach
Guys

I’ve been meaning to post this for some time and I spoke about it to a couple of friends and they agreed. They felt the same way.

Have you noticed things just feel different since the pandemic? I’m no conspiracy theorist but the world isn’t the same. I appreciate we have all been through some tough times with work, the lockdowns, vaccinations and the disruption to our lives but ever since we returned to ‘normal’ things just feel different. I don’t know whether we are just older or traumatised by the experience but I personally don’t seem to be as happy and content as I once was.

Things on the surface appear to be normal and nothing has changed that much for me personally (I did lose dad which was awful) but it just doesn’t feel right and I fear we will never get back to that ‘world’ again. It’s like we are living in some sort of matrix now. Maybe I’m still grieving, I don’t know but stuff doesn’t excite me as much as it used to.
I've had Covid twice, and each time, after the acute illness was over, I had residual symptoms which seemed to last ages: tiredness, lack of energy, loss of motivation, listlessness, lack of stamina, loss of enthusiasm, etc. All symptoms so closely related to depression that I can't really tell the difference sometimes. And to be honest, I don't really think I've come out of it yet. It feels like I've been depressed for six months and just going through the motions.

strider

Post Whore
Guys

Im not sure we've come out of it all yet - so think it just lingers on .... covid has died down (maybe), but then floods, war, shortages, climate emergency ..... theres seemingly a never ending stream of next things .... if shit goes down in china and taiwan, then bugger me, all our shit is made there 😱

Rocket man

Juniors
Covid hasn't died down, it's just not reported as much now.
Booked a cruise.
No mask required when I booked on Wednesday.
Saturday morning I received notification mask are required indoors because of Covid sub variant in Aust and rising numbers.
I thought numbers were going down.

IFR33K

Coach
Guys

the pandemic has left a shit stain. People are still reluctant to do things. Everything is expensive and still so much uncertainty. Many people have lost their livelihood and had to start from scratch.

when we were in lockdown we decided to not defer our mortgages, loans and leases. We are slowly just starting to get on top of things again. And it’s been over a year. It hasn’t been easy at all.

Suitman

Post Whore
the pandemic has left a shit stain. People are still reluctant to do things. Everything is expensive and still so much uncertainty. Many people have lost their livelihood and had to start from scratch.

when we were in lockdown we decided to not defer our mortgages, loans and leases. We are slowly just starting to get on top of things again. And it’s been over a year. It hasn’t been easy at all.

In time, we will just all move on. I'm sure of it.

hindy111

Post Whore
Well I've been in Nambucca for 3 days and have only today started to unwind.

Teeing off at 7.45am tomorrow for a round of golf and nothing else to report as yet.

Thanks for asking.

Do a write up in Eelos travel thread. Amd post some photos.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Guys

I agree.

I used to be super obsessed with anything Eels related.

I haven't been to a live game in over 4 years, and I've only watched a handful of games.

I used to get upset when I missed a game - I don't care anymore.

Noise

Coach
I’m the opposite (and I assume the mental health thread can be positive too?). I was pumped when everything (including borders) reopened. Went to more Eels games this year than ever before, had a couple of quick overseas trips plus a few trips to Byron and the South Coast. Feeling the pinch a bit with interest rate rises but that was always going to happen eventually.
Not long until kickoff for 2023!

Rocket man

Juniors
I agree.

I used to be super obsessed with anything Eels related.

I haven't been to a live game in over 4 years, and I've only watched a handful of games.

I used to get upset when I missed a game - I don't care anymore.
I stopped attending games when the Children came along, and work prevented me going.
Both adults now and work is a long-lost memory.
Hardly miss a game now.

the phantom menace

First Grade
Guys

This is so so true, for me as well.

Also have the grief aspect at play (with similar timing), but had been feeling the impacts of the overal pandemic experiences and the sense of things not being right or feeling as exciting or happy/contented for a few months prior to that as well - and have observed similar in many people around the place.

And there's still a lot more of this Covid stuff to play out unfortunately. But not much else we can do but apply hope that things will get better, and more interesting/exciting/engaging and feeling right again, for everyone.

the phantom menace

First Grade
That said, I've been taking more interest in all the bullshit off-season rubbish News Corp league articles than I normally would... not sure if that's due to us finally cracking the final four/two last season, or from a lack of excitement about much else at this time of the year :D.

Gronk

Staff member
Reading Harry's biography - The Spare. He should post in this thread to get some love.

Poor merkin has been through the washing machine.