What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mental Strength

Tony Bongo

Bench
Yes it's everyone elses fault that Kearney is the worst coach we've ever had. He should have been given at least 5 years to make a go of it.

I think he should have at least seen out the three he was signed for. The way our team is playing he wouldn't have been given anymore than that anyway.
It still amazes me how well they played after Kearney's sacking was announced. How sad though that the enthusiasm was so short lived. In any case it is now obvious that all along the coach wasn't the problem.
This year we have thrown away close to a million dollars just so a board could save face but they have still ended up with egg on their faces anyway. They had a wonderful opportunity to show true leadership and stand by the man they appointed and their decisions, but they chose instead to cave into the masses and as it seems much of the playing group. The fact is that if we are to be successful this cycle that leads to continued failure has to stop at some point and I hope it stops with Ricky.

Last edited:

Someone

Bench
Commando from the biggest loser should come the eels, he would be right at home with the biggest losers of the nrl.

#mentality
#weak
#poverty
#Positioning

caylo

Bench
Or until they get some more first grade under their belts.

Sio, Tautai, Api, Paulo, Kelepi, Allgood etc. The reality is we have lots of young inexperienced players and our most experienced players are still very young (Sandow, Hayne, Mannah) or near over the hill (fui, Matuia).
We defiantly need some experience on the edges and our current squad will take a couple of years to become consistent. Folding when under pressure and losing tight game is normal with an inexperienced squad which is a big reason why Stuart played Smith over Pauli last week.
In a year or 2 this squad will be much better for the experience IMO, Hayne and Sandow are on the verge of exploding in the next year and guys like Normal and Hopoate will only help this.

byrner

Juniors
Gives some indication as to the importance of internal scouting and recruitment though. Signing proven first graders means you don't get to observe your new recruit until he's already in the NRL squad. However bringing kids through the academy lets you know what kind of character he has long before he's in the NRL team or signed to a long expensive contract.

Good point

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Sio, Tautai, Api, Paulo, Kelepi, Allgood etc. The reality is we have lots of young inexperienced players and our most experienced players are still very young (Sandow, Hayne, Mannah) or near over the hill (fui, Matuia).
We defiantly need some experience on the edges and our current squad will take a couple of years to become consistent. Folding when under pressure and losing tight game is normal with an inexperienced squad which is a big reason why Stuart played Smith over Pauli last week.
In a year or 2 this squad will be much better for the experience IMO, Hayne and Sandow are on the verge of exploding in the next year and guys like Normal and Hopoate will only help this.

Good post mate. I agree 100% they are on the verge of exploding. Sandow and Normal will be massive next year.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

I dont think too many people would disagree with a lot of this. It is clear that we don't have an experienced squad so performances will reflect this at times.

However, you have failed to address the main frustration of fans (and I dare say Ricky based on recent post match conferences). You can forgive inexperience but not lack of effort. In fact one might argue that a younger player trying to establish himself in first grade should have more to prove, so effort should not be an issue.

If we had people tearing in but executing poorly then I would say "great post". However, how do you explain the fact that in far too many games we just haven't even bothered to turn up? That to me suggests a bigger issue than an inexperienced squad.

If we dont address why the players aren't putting in and make sure that players turn up every week then it won't matter if the players become more experienced in the next 1-2 years. We will still get out-enthused most weeks and as a result most likely soundly beaten.

Last edited:

Eelementary

Post Whore
I dont think too many people would disagree with a lot of this. It is clear that we don't have an experienced squad so performances will reflect this at times.

However, you have failed to address the main frustration of fans (and I dare say Ricky based on recent post match conferences). You can forgive inexperience but not lack of effort. In fact one might argue that a younger player trying to establish himself in first grade should have more to prove, so effort should not be an issue.

If we had people tearing in but executing poorly then I would say "great post". However, how do you explain the fact that in far too many games we just haven't even bothered to turn up? That to me suggests a bigger issue than an inexperienced squad.

If we dont address why the players aren't putting in and make sure that players turn up every week then it won't matter if the players become more experienced in the next 1-2 years. We will still get out-enthused most weeks and as a result most likely soundly beaten.

You people can try to belittle Poupou Escobar all you like, but he's 100% right - we have mental weakness rife in the squad and no genuine leadership.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
You people can try to belittle Poupou Escobar all you like, but he's 100% right - we have mental weakness rife in the squad and no genuine leadership.

We agree with Poupou. We just can't believe all these weak merkins were signed when Kearney clearly knew how weak they were.