What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Merger whispers

denwatts

Juniors
Has anybody heard anything about a possible merger between,GET THIS,The Eels and the Doggies.to be called Parramatta Bulldogs.The reasons given are that when the new non smoking laws take effect that all clubs and pubs are excepting a massive downturn in income from the pokies and that no club will be able to afford the money to give to their football clubs.
Appartenly that is why the Eels were so strong in the area of bringing the new Under 20's comp in so to cut costs and this team will be the only Parramatta Eels playing when the Merger takes place.
The proposed jumper has already been seen..thats the one with blue,white,and yellow that the Eels played in, in the early rounds this season, the Eels never ever had white in the jumper before.
Its not going to happen this year but by the end of 2008 it will be a done deal,like it or not.
I know your going say who's this Den Watts and what crap is he going on with,just ask the Parramatta BIG BOYS who they had meetings with on their recent trip overseas and what the meetings were about.
Also why is Parramatta Stadium going to have work done a new southern stand to take in another 5,000 supporters when they cant fill it up the stands they have now...
Also ask yourself what were the rumblings at the Bulldogs club a couple of weeks really about,do others know of this whisper at the doggies and they are trying to knock in on the head by getting rid of the Bulldogs board members who support the merger.
Now ask yourself which club tried to merge with firstly Balmain and then Penrith to have them both fall over, the Eels board have been trying to get in bed withsome since the end of the Super League wars, now its like its going to happen.like it or not.

big boppa eel

Juniors
denwatts said:
Has anybody heard anything about a possible merger between,GET THIS,The Eels and the Doggies.to be called Parramatta Bulldogs.The reasons given are that when the new non smoking laws take effect that all clubs and pubs are excepting a massive downturn in income from the pokies and that no club will be able to afford the money to give to their football clubs.
Appartenly that is why the Eels were so strong in the area of bringing the new Under 20's comp in so to cut costs and this team will be the only Parramatta Eels playing when the Merger takes place.
The proposed jumper has already been seen..thats the one with blue,white,and yellow that the Eels played in, in the early rounds this season, the Eels never ever had white in the jumper before.
Its not going to happen this year but by the end of 2008 it will be a done deal,like it or not.
I know your going say who's this Den Watts and what crap is he going on with,just ask the Parramatta BIG BOYS who they had meetings with on their recent trip overseas and what the meetings were about.
Also why is Parramatta Stadium going to have work done a new southern stand to take in another 5,000 supporters when they cant fill it up the stands they have now...
Also ask yourself what were the rumblings at the Bulldogs club a couple of weeks really about,do others know of this whisper at the doggies and they are trying to knock in on the head by getting rid of the Bulldogs board members who support the merger.
Now ask yourself which club tried to merge with firstly Balmain and then Penrith to have them both fall over, the Eels board have been trying to get in bed withsome since the end of the Super League wars, now its like its going to happen.like it or not.
and u know this how?

Glenn

First Grade
Well the clubs are going to be hit when the new smoking regulations come in place, but to suggest that Parramatta be put in a position of a merger I suggest your sources are either incorrect, or you have misunderstood what was said.
As for the extra 5000 seats at Parramatta, that has been on the board for sometime, and I question that they have trouble filling the stadium as it is, if I recall correctly there has been a sellout this season at Parramatta, and/or near sellouts.

dio

Juniors
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

we may find this funny how about u post this in the nrl section and stay and defend it!

Stagger eel

Staff member
I love a good conspiracy theory..can't wait for MITS to sink his teeth in this :D

this is what I know.

* the directors are still very very concerned about the pokie tax and how it would bite into the leagues club profits, they're bracing themselves fo that one..

* Ovo and Fitzy definitely went to Macau on an overseas trip, not much was said about it but the Canterbury head honchos had also went overseas not sure where though..

* there is big rumblings on the board level at Canterbury, I know that for a fact.

I believe at the end of the day we will have to merge with another NRL club, however I don't believe it's be in the side of the decade.

denwatts, you're either a sh*tstirrer, genius, paranoid or stupid...the problem is I'm not sure which one at the moment, because imo anything can happen. ;-)

fish eel

Immortal
Glenn said:
Well the clubs are going to be hit when the new smoking regulations come in place, .

there are actually counter views and research that says that should not be the case, that the clubs can benefit by attracting non smokers back, whilst at the same time providing smoking areas to keep existing clientele.

In any case, I could cop a merger depending on the circumstances, but under no circumstances with canterbury. I'm sure dogs fans would feel the same, it would be doomed from the start.

fish eel

Immortal
eelavation said:
I believe at the end of the day we will have to merge with another NRL club, however I don't believe it's be in the side of the decade.

why?

If Parramatta cant be sustained as a stand alone side, then plenty of other clubs will be in bigger trouble imo.

Stagger eel

Staff member
fish eel said:
why?

If Parramatta cant be sustained as a stand alone side, then plenty of other clubs will be in bigger trouble imo.

why? because as denwatts rightly pointed out, our club has flirted with the idea on a couple of occasions what denwatts didn't mention was the club had also made enquiries to North Sydney ;-)

from the conversations I have with some people they are still very very concerned about the implications of what the tax may bring to the club..

I really don't think denwatts theory, prediction or whatever is as loopy as what people make out, I just don't think it'll happen at the end of 08, that's way to soon.

fish eel

Immortal
eelavation said:
why? because as denwatts rightly pointed out, our club has flirted with the idea on a couple of occasions what denwatts didn't mention was the club had also made enquiries to North Sydney ;-)

from the conversations I have with some people they are still very very concerned about the implications of what the tax may bring to the club..

the key word that grabbed my attention was 'have to merge'....a necessity out of need?

Stagger eel

Staff member
fish eel said:
the key word that grabbed my attention was 'have to merge'....a necessity out of need?

maybe they will have to merge..;-)

you're not trying to play down what your mates at the labour party did to the clubs of NSW are you? ;-)

I personally don't know what the implications of this pokie tax is, they say it's bad, the labour say it ain't...we'll see sooner or later who's correct.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
lol at this thread. Dennis may have flirted with the idea just he's flirted with the idea of a logo change etc.

It wont happen, the fans of both clubs wont allow it and it could possibly destroy both clubs and affect the NRL in a huge way.

Clubs will find otherways to compenstate the pokie taxes etc, either through higher prices in alcohol, tickets etc

The idea is stupid, and would cause widespread damage, it's not like a merger between St George & Illawarra...it would be more a case of Northern Eagles scenario.....and we know how that ended up lol

Just on a curious note? how did the club make money before they had all these pokies? i think Dennis & other clubs are exagerating the effects of the pokie machine tax in the hope that the government abolishes it, they will continue to piss & moan untill it's abolished.

Suitman

Post Whore
I'll put it this way.

If the Eels EVER merged with the Bulldogs, I would never follow League again.

Sydney FC forever.

Suity

Ron Jeremy

Coach
eelavation said:
true, and you can add the millenium bug as well...but would you rule it out??

:lol: I remember seeing doco's on people preparing bunkers and developing drills into how to live underground when the millenium bug hits:lol:

Funniest sh*t i've ever seen:lol:

Stagger eel

Staff member
Suitman said:
I'll put it this way.

If the Eels EVER merged with the Bulldogs, I would never follow League again.

Sydney FC forever.

Suity

and I'm sure they'd be an army of you...I sincerely mean that.

Latest posts