What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mergers and Premiership Tallies

How Many GF's have they won

• Total voters

simostorm

Bench
Titans are the Chokers of the comp now.. after that dismal display to the Roosters.. they choked right from the opening minute.. Saints can hand the tag over to Prince and his over rated Titans.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
As said before, it will be their first premiership.

St.george Dragons and their 15 premierships are a different entity, and are in no way attached to this current team.

so they have only been choking since 1999.

lol. CyberKev's right. The Saints haters want it both ways.

To the OP, as if a brown-shirt opposition supporter is going to make a difference to how I think. I know which team I support. But please don't let that stop anyone stamping their feet.

I don't doubt that at all, but there are those who want to include the 15 in the current tally.
Whatever they want.

TheDalek079

Bench
how have Saints been choking since before 1999?? 1992/93/96 they were against better opposition. Only since the merger has the choke been happening

CyberKev

Staff member
Of course, if there's any confusion over this one it should really be fully and unequivocally clarified in the appropriate fashion...

Daily Telegraph poll.

Its a result we could all have confidence in.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Definitely their first ever premiership.
IF we win it'll be No.16. You're wrong, I'm right.

Bobby DIGital said:
The Saint George Dragons are dead.
I support St George. You're wrong again, I'm right again.

See the fine line between 'opinion' and telling others how to think? Of course that'll go over your head too. LOL.

meltiger

First Grade
I think its quite clear that if the Dragons win on Sunday it will be the first premiership in the club's 11 year existence...

And if the Dragons lose on Sunday it will be a record equalling sixth loss from the club's last 6 GF appearances during its 31 year premiership drought.

lol. CyberKev's right. The Saints haters want it both ways.

To the OP, as if a brown-shirt opposition supporter is going to make a difference to how I think. I know which team I support. But please don't let that stop anyone stamping their feet.

Lads, do Wests Tigers own claim to 16 premierships, or 1 ?

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't doubt that at all, but there are those who want to include the 15 in the current tally.
Whatever they want.
Its odd to think that the Dragons supporters see this as their 16 title.

Do the Steelers fans see it as their 16th as well?

No one ever said that The Wests Tigers win in 2005 was their 16th premiership.

It was and still is dubbed as their maiden.

And if the Dragons win on the weekend it will be their maiden premiership. make no mistake about it.

And the record books will show it that way as well.

You can't win 15 premierships in 11 years

manly40gimps0

Juniors
As said before, it will be their first premiership.

St.george Dragons and their 15 premierships are a different entity, and are in no way attached to this current team.

so they have only been choking since 1999.
Correct the choke didn't start till 99, the previous 20 something years was complete failure.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
and are in no way attached to this current team.

:? I understand your point but that is a bit of a stretch.

It's like saying Balmain and Wests are in no way attached to the Wests Tigers. Didn't they have the catchline "Over 200 years of history" on their 2008 merchandise? :lol:

CyberKev

Staff member

However many they want to.

I'm not overtly fussed by the whole issue, as the only premierships that really matter to me are the last one (well, normally, but obviously this doesn't apply to the 2009 result) and the next one.

I posted initially just to make reference to how conveniently malleable the politics of hate can be.

meltiger

First Grade
However many they want to.

I'm not overtly fussed by the whole issue, as the only premierships that really matter to me are the last one (well, normally, but obviously this doesn't apply to the 2009 result) and the next one.

I posted initially just to make reference to how conveniently malleable the politics of hate can be.

Oh I know what you were up to :)

More just I'm making the point, our two clubs are unique to the other 14 clubs with our circumstances.

I understand Dragons fans will see it as their 16th premiership and in a way, that is actually correct - Teams they support have won 16 premierships.

The official records however should reflect it as their 1st title.

*touch wood* Assuming Saints win.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
:? I understand your point but that is a bit of a stretch.

It's like saying Balmain and Wests are in no way attached to the Wests Tigers. Didn't they have the catchline "Over 200 years of history" on their 2008 merchandise? :lol:
They are three different teams. Just because they did that (mind you the maths was wrong because in 2008 both clubs would have turned 101, meaning 202 years, but meh) doesn't mean that it is fact.

Clubs do that sh*t to try and appeal to their alienated fan base from prior to the mergers, thats the only purpose of it.

Furthermore, Balmain and Wests are still in existence in the NSW Cup, so their claim to such a ludicrous concept (202 years etc etc) has some basis of fact about it.

St.George and Illawarra are different in this regard

Willow

Assistant Moderator

Don't care, that's up to them.

Funny you should mention it though. In 2005 when Balmain/Wests won the preliminary final, a group of their supporters did a Youtube production that celebrated their win and mocked Saints supporters. It was quite well done actually. You may have seen it.

One of the taunts was that they had moved ahead of Saints in the total premiership tallies. At the end of the footage, they had the words "West Tigers 16 - Dragons 15".

So we can assume that it's an individual's choice, even if you're a Tigers supporter.

Tom Ace

Bench

Funny you should mention it though. In 2005 when Balmain/Wests won the preliminary final, a group of their supporters did a Youtube production that celebrated their win and mocked Saints supporters. It was quite well done actually. You may have seen it.

One of the taunts was that they had moved ahead of Saints in the total premiership tallies. At the end of the footage, they had the words "West Tigers 16 - Dragons 15".

So we can assume that it's an individual's choice, even if you're a Tigers supporter.

Either choice for St Merge supporters is horrible.

Failure since 1979 or 12 year old club with no history or premierships.

Last edited:

meltiger

First Grade

lol

& they would be wrong too. In fairness, You either claim 1, 5 or 12 :)

Do you disagree with my point that whilst you will (fairly) see it as the 16th premiership your team has won, that the official records should note it as St George-Illawarra's 1st?