What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mergers and Premiership Tallies

How Many GF's have they won

• Total voters

adamkungl

Immortal
This again? Really?

St George Illawarra's 1st premiership.

St George Dragons 16th, if the fans wish to celebrate it as such. St George are not dead, but they are not what they once were, either. That said, their history doesn't suddenly get deleted.

The records will (when it happens - not on Sunday!) rightly show
St George - 15
St george Illawarra - 1

Willow

Assistant Moderator
No one ever said that The Wests Tigers win in 2005 was their 16th premiership.
Then you better look away... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYM0-NlM_pA&feature=PlayList&p=908791F689845938&index=0&playnext=1

At the end of the video...

WestsTigers-vs-DragonArmy_2005_500x319.jpg

I also see a lot of WT supporters wearing either Magpies jerseys or Balmain jerseys. Saw a number of them last Saturday at the game. I'm curious, do all of them think the team they grew up supporting doesn't exist anymore?

dclayw

Juniors
I'll be celebrating our 16th premiership on Sunday evening :p

Then only 4 more to catch those wascally wabbits.

_STING_

Juniors
You are all wrong.
It is actually 0.5 to St George and 0.5 to Illawarra.

Actaully to be more accurate it would be 0.1 to St George and 0.9 to Illawarra based on where the players originate from.

Special K

Coach
You're saying St George Dragons didn't win 15 premierships between their inception and 1979? :?
Yeah and then they left the nrl in 1998.

St George Illawarra Dragons inception was 1999 and they haven't won anything since.

It isn't that hard to understand... West tigers fans seem to get it.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
they would be wrong too.
No, you're wrong, they're right. See? Opinions cross over into brown shirt territory in a blink of an eye.
meltiger said:
In fairness, You either claim 1, 5 or 12
Yes sir! LOL! Or should I say mein fuhrer?
meltiger said:
Do you disagree with my point that whilst you will (fairly) see it as the 16th premiership your team has won, that the official records should note it as St George-Illawarra's 1st?
Is that the same official records from the NRL, established in 1998.

Look, I have been supporting St George all my life. That doesn't stop just because anyone here, or David Middleton, says so. The NRL, established in 1998, are happy to exploit the history of St George in their promotions. The NRL, established in 1998, are also happy to take ownership of the NSWRL/ARL records and claim them as part of their continuing history.

However many they want to.

Yeah, that sums it up nicely for me. I know it's all about how the individual feels, especially if they personally witnessed watching Saints triumph in 1979, it's like telling a Storm fan they've only won one. Or whether it's about making their team look better. ;-)

I know, well, we all know what the record books will say. It doesn't matter to many, and good for them.

Whether fans will praise their 1st or 16th, just say to yourself who cares, and enjoy a moment that doesn't come often.

Then again, I'm hoping to witness that moment in just a few days.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Then you better look away... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYM0-NlM_pA&feature=PlayList&p=908791F689845938&index=0&playnext=1

At the end of the video...

WestsTigers-vs-DragonArmy_2005_500x319.jpg

I also see a lot of WT supporters wearing either Magpies jerseys or Balmain jerseys. Saw a number of them last Saturday at the game. I'm curious, do all of them think the team they grew up supporting doesn't exist anymore?
their teams do exist in NSW Cup, sure it may be a lesser grade, but the teams still exist there.

Thats the difference between Wests Tigers and St.george-Illawarra.

And just because some numbskull thinks it is 16 premierships don't make it fact.

Fact is:
Wests Tigers - 1 premiership
Balmain Tigers - 11
Western Suburbs - 4

St.George-Illawarra Dragons - 0
St.George Dragons - 15
Illawarra - 0

drake

First Grade
I'd like to thank the kind people for telling me how to think, and how to support my team.

Here I was thinking that it was up to me, not News Ltd, but now I know better, all thanks to a bunch of experts I found on the internet. I mean, the NRL has only been around since '98, so the pre-merger premierships don't count at all. Brisbane Broncos, inaugural NRL premiers.

Yep, Souths has 0 premierships in the merged competition.

I'm especially grateful to the Sharks supporters, who are the foremost experts on calculating years without premierships.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Off point, I know.
But did I hear correctly that the two NSW Cup sides are merging?
from what I gather, Balmain are becoming Wests Tigers and Wests Magpies are remaining as is.

meaning Balmain will effectively be dead as of ...well now I guess.

I fear this will not auger well for the merger. Wests side won't be too pleased with this and rightfully so.

Fein

First Grade
Well, well, well, what have we here then?

More bullsh*t from Willow.

Imagine my surprise. :lol::lol:

If the Dragons fans are going to invent premiership tallies we may as well all get in on it.

I say Souths have won 20 Million premierships and don't tell me how to support my club you brown shirts.

Ner.

Gaba

First Grade
Yeah and then they left the nrl in 1998.

St George Illawarra Dragons inception was 1999 and they haven't won anything since.

It isn't that hard to understand... West tigers fans seem to get it.
western suburbs magpies black & whte
Balmain tigers orange & black
become wests tigers black,white & orange

western suburbs and balmain lost their names

Stgeorge Dragons red & white
Ilawarra steelers scarlet(red) & white
become
Stgeorge Illawarra Dragons red & white
both kept their colours and name

Last edited:

cleary89

Coach

If the Dragons fans are going to invent premiership tallies we may as well all get in on it.

I say Souths have won 20 Million premierships and don't tell me how to support my club you brown shirts.

Ner.

Yayfein is back

Willow

Assistant Moderator
FMD, did someone just come in and stink up the room?

madunit said:
Thats the difference between Wests Tigers and St.george-Illawarra.
Of course you're entitled to your opinion.
And just because some numbskull thinks it is 16 premierships don't make it fact.
Ah, so they are numbskulls for holding a view that is contrary to your own? LOL!

This just keeps getting better.

Thanks again for sharp 'think as I think' counter arguments. Should you ever run for Chancellor, you'll have my vote, assuming that voting is allowed in your new world order.

Of course, you're in good company with those that agree with you.

Oh and Baron, please refrain from posting pics of yourself.

gregstar

Referee
so if my team wins on sunday, should i clap vigorously or cheer?

what if they're wearing the same big red v jersey that my team seems to have always worn?

do i go to the same clubhouse across from the same oval my team has played from for many decades?

i'm confused.

can someone please tell me what to do?

gregstar

Referee

Ner.
g'dday stupid!

still f*cking your hand?

how's the annual holiday been for the last month?