What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mergers and Premiership Tallies

How Many GF's have they won

• Total voters
Thommo - this is the best argument I have read on LU for you point of view, yet. In fact - it is just that - an argument. Your collegaues have spouted nothing but mere assertions. However, there is a key factual oversight in your analysis.

The St George Dragons RLFC and the Illawarra Steelers RLFC are defunct as far as the NRL first grade comp goes. Neither has a license. They merged and the resulting club St George Illawarra RLFC has the license. But good try.

With regards the Olympics - clearly Australasia won medals - not Australia or New Zealand as those countries were not there in singular form. Just a hybrid ad hoc regional team. If a World XI beats the Australian Cricket team with Shoiab al Hasan in the side can Bangladesh claim the victory? No, they cannot. Same for the Olympics. Bangladesh may celebrate Shaqib's success - but not as their own. Same for the Olympics.

With regards constitutional matters - a constitution creates the birth of a new country. The country exists from when they constitutional is judically recongised and the country ceases to exist when no longer judicially recongised. The land and people of that land clearly have a history prior to the constitution and post the end of the consitution but that particular nation does not. Quite simple really.

Timing can be perplexing. For instance - take the USA. There were Americans in North America before July 4, 1776. But they were not part of the USA. The USA was not recongised as a nation until 1783. Their famous constitution was brought into force in 1788 replacing previous ad hoc constitutions. The nation we know as the today as the USA was formed in 1788. Sure the people celebrate the history leading upto the event (July 4) - but that history is the background to the new nation, as that particular nation did not exist during the war of independence. It just set the scene for the new nations birth.

Bit like St George Illawarra RLFC really :) United States and United Clubs. New entities.

:)

But both the AOC and the IOC recognise the Australian medals won in these olympiads, including recognition of Fanny Durack as the first Australian female gold medalist. We even count in the official Australian gold medal tally the 1912 4x200 freestyle relay which included a Kiwi.

You can not ignore the history that predates the formation of an organisation - it is an integral part. We don't consider Ned Kelly a mad Irishman or a Victorian. Matthew Flinders was not a sunburned pom. We proudly display our Boer War artifacts athe Australian War Memorial. We count achievements prior to 1901 as part of Australian story, even for those that were born before the Commonwealth began.

We have grown up with this, it is recognised in texts and documented history. It forms the basis of much of our legal history and jurisprudence. It goes to the very nature of our culture. Why is it so hard to fathom that other members of a Joint Venture choose to also celebrate their history in full, including the wins, the losses, the heroes and the villians?

The St George Illawarra RLFC has a proud history that predates its formation in 1998. It is a histroy that can not be ignored - it can be envied (as it apparently is on this forum) but it can not be put aside. Followers of the JV partners lived the history and have seen it grow into what it is today - you can try to tell them to forget it and not associate those memories and achievements with the current evolved entity but ultimately it is down to those with standing (fans, players, sponsors) to decide how it will be celebrated.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
But both the AOC and the IOC recognise the Australian medals won in these olympiads, including recognition of Fanny Durack as the first Australian female gold medalist. We even count in the official Australian gold medal tally the 1912 4x200 freestyle relay which included a Kiwi.

You can not ignore the history that predates the formation of an organisation - it is an integral part. We don't consider Ned Kelly a mad Irishman or a Victorian. Matthew Flinders was not a sunburned pom. We proudly display our Boer War artifacts athe Australian War Memorial. We count achievements prior to 1901 as part of Australian story, even for those that were born before the Commonwealth began.

We have grown up with this, it is recognised in texts and documented history. It forms the basis of much of our legal history and jurisprudence. It goes to the very nature of our culture. Why is it so hard to fathom that other members of a Joint Venture choose to also celebrate their history in full, including the wins, the losses, the heroes and the villians?

The St George Illawarra RLFC has a proud history that predates its formation in 1998. It is a histroy that can not be ignored - it can be envied (as it apparently is on this forum) but it can not be put aside. Followers of the JV partners lived the history and have seen it grow into what it is today - you can try to tell them to forget it and not associate those memories and achievements with the current evolved entity but ultimately it is down to those with standing (fans, players, sponsors) to decide how it will be celebrated.
Brilliant.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Thats nice of the AOC and IOC to do that for Australia. It sounds to me like abit of generosity and a rewriting of the actual history. I would say given the Australian flag was not present at those Olympics and disrepectful to Team Australasia. Imagine if Thorpe suddenly became an American citizen and wanted the IOC and AOC to credit his medals to the USA. You'd be pissed.

Absolutely - United States persons celebrate thanksgiving even though that was a century or more before their present nation was born. All part of the story.

Of course, but you cannot have your cake and eat it too. I could celebrate the successes of my father or grandfather - but I cannot celebrate them as my own. St George Illwarra RLFC has one premiership St George RLFC had 15 before they ceased to compete or exist in the first grade comp. They are metaphorically the deceased father. Of course the son may celebrate Dad's successes - but others are going to scoff if he claims them as his own. That is what is happening here.

Celebrate the history of that glorious club but do not try and subsume that history into your present club. Its ridiculous. Its like me claiming the 1967 dash my father did. He did it as a person. I have my own successes. The two persons have their own successes just like the two, three even clubs do. But not one club can claim it all. The club that 15 premierships is gone and has not been in the NRL since 1998. Thats a fact.

St George Illawarra has no history before 1998. There is a history that led to its conception, but your individual history starts when you are born. Bit like the American war of independence and thanksgiving... But the nation of the UNited States was born after all that... Clearly you are passionate, and with passion comes emotion, and with emotion comes the decreased ability to reason. You are being sentimental but not logical.

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
You're being sillie now.
Bottom line lubie - you're being smashed in this argument.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
If you understood the argument, you might rate. RedAndWhiteThommo completely outclassed you. You replied with nothing other than a rambling mix of random words and self contradictions.

Don't take this to heart antiflute, but you're a lousy debater.
eight said:
nine said:
Just 7 to go until sweet sixteen.

Ulysseus

Bench
Of course, but you cannot have your cake and eat it too. I could celebrate the successes of my father or grandfather - but I cannot celebrate them as my own. St George Illwarra RLFC has one premiership St George RLFC had 15 before they ceased to compete or exist in the first grade comp. They are metaphorically the deceased father. Of course the son may celebrate Dad's successes - but others are going to scoff if he claims them as his own. That is what is happening here.

ANTiLAG, its good to see some decent comment in here, although given the thread is populated by Fein, some under grad f**khead and Baron that isn't going to be hard.
I don't personally give a sh*t about the tally issue at hand, I have more of a stance on Baron saying that they needed to beat a cheating storm side etc etc, and basically anything those other two geniuss wrote before I decided it'd be best if I just ignored them.

To elaborate on why I bolded that bit, how do you feel about the situation when your theoretical "deceased father" has basically paid the bills for his "sons" present day success?, as is the case here - if Saints (the football club) are deceased as you say.
I know I'd want some credit if I were footing a large chunk of the bill.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
If you understood the argument, you might rate. RedAndWhiteThommo completely outclassed you. You replied with nothing other than a rambling mix of random words and self contradictions.

Don't take this to heart antiflute, but you're a lousy debater.
Just 7 to go until sweet sixteen.

Haha. I don't think the person who couldn't tell Thommo raised constitutional matters is fit to deliver judgment. Not only did I understand the argument, I analysed it, broke it down and revealed its flaws. Then delivered a stronger counter view which holds up to analysis.

Don't take this the wrong way Willow - but I do not think you finished High School and certainly you'd never get through University with honours. You just leave the "smart theory" stuff to others okay.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
To elaborate on why I bolded that bit, how do you feel about the situation when your theoretical "deceased father" has basically paid the bills for his "sons" present day success?, as is the case here - if Saints (the football club) are deceased as you say.

Analogously - the deceased father has merely given his son an advantage - like an orphan who has a trust fund. Any credit given to the parents taken from that actually decreases the gloss off the son's success in a lot of people's eyes as they were placed in an environment more likely to succeed.

However, the actual achievement is the sons; it was just easier for them to achieve the success. For instance - rich kids are more likely to goto university and pass (maybe tutoring - fancy laptops - extra books - buy notes - no financial pressures - no stresses) and become professionals. It was easier for them to do so. But the success they have in their career is theirs... albeit they are far more likely to be in the old boys network which makes their success far easier. The more credit the parents take - the less of an achievement the kids success was.

I mean this is common sense really - whats more impressive to you? But you cannot take the achievement solely away from the kid - as some rich kids fail.

Last edited:

Puff

First Grade
SoftSydney
Juniors
rank0.gif

icon1.gif
Re: Mergers and Premiership Tallies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puff
post_old.gif
Today, 10:36 AM
SoftSydney
Juniors
rank0.gif

I love it when a 50uffs supporter derps him/herself. Its not a question of how many are produced we are arguing here. Its how many we have. In this case if he has 15 and adopts one, he now has 16, same as the might dragons. Because let me tell you, if your paying to put food on the table for the little f**ker, your in charge noone else. And when the govt comes around giving handouts for how many children you have, whats an unemployed bunnies supporter going to put down as the benefit to receive, I bet you its 16 too.

No thats STGI go, you are the ones making fraudulent claims and numbers fixing... get it right puff pastry lol

Rule 2.... 50uffs Grand final is, and always will be, the Charity Shield.

Rules 3.... Officer Barbrady is right. Move along nothing to see here.

SoftSydney

Juniors
Rule 1.... you know people know they are wrong when they resort to insults as a come back

Rule 2.... 50uffs Grand final is, and always will be, the Charity Shield.

Rules 3.... Officer Barbrady is right. Move along nothing to see here.

You are such puppet mate, the pot calling the kettle black

SoftSydney

Juniors
ANTiLAG, its good to see some decent comment in here, although given the thread is populated by Fein, some under grad f**khead and Baron that isn't going to be hard.
I don't personally give a sh*t about the tally issue at hand, I have more of a stance on Baron saying that they needed to beat a cheating storm side etc etc, and basically anything those other two geniuss wrote before I decided it'd be best if I just ignored them.

Golden Greek its pretty sad when you define your self and others by their job or education. I think you do give a toss about the tally you are still here lol

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I love that the blokes on this forum who try to display their 'alleged' superior intellect have to edit every second post.

Last edited:

Latest posts