What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Michael Crockett sex scandal

RLIF

Juniors
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22207064-5006066,00.html
RUGBY league's off-field woes deepened last night when it was revealed police are investigating sexual assault claims against an NRL star.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Warriors winger Michael Crockett is under investigation over an alleged incident in Sydney after the New Zealander's clash against the Roosters on Sunday.

The NRL last night confirmed it was seeking information from the Auckland-based club over a complaint brought by a woman to Redfern police early on Monday morning.
It is understood Crockett, 24, allegedly met the woman while out with teammates after the 31-all draw at the SFS.

The pair are believed to have left the group some time before the woman fronted Redfern police station to complain she was sexually assaulted.

"The NSW Police Force can confirm that it is investigating an allegation of sexual assault made to Redfern police on August 6," a police spokesman said.

"Police are in the process of taking statements. No charges have been laid and, because the investigation is continuing police are unable to comment further."

Warriors officials did not return calls last night. But NRL CEO David Gallop said the league was monitoring the investigation closely.

"We were made aware of the allegations by the Warriors on Monday morning," Mr Gallop said. "These are obviously very serious allegations."

playdaball

Bench
Oh Dear! Just when the warriors were building up for a big crowd this weekend. The NZ media has not jumped onto this story yet .... but expect radip sport to do so today (Wed)

Skinner

Coach
OK, just a standard warning here folks.

The key word here is "alleged". Discuss all you want, but keep it in that context.

Cheers

Skinner

Im not sure why a 'smiley' was used in the title of this thread but whatever mate.

Fingers crossed this isnt true, but if it is he needs to go.

mean

Juniors
Utey said:
I think everyone knows the story here...

A cynical view..."am I gonna see you again? Nah, F off I told you that I'm only here for the night....."

Sam_the_man

First Grade
It's easy to throw mud and with this sort of allegation the mud tends to stick even if proved to be baseless.
Until proven other wise the bloke is innocent.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
yawnion obsessed nz media will have a field day with this.

speaking of which on monday I watched nz prime on sky and during their sports section not once did they mention the warriors/chooks game. bloody disgraceful bias.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
That's cos it was the first story covered on Sunday Gunna....

even more reason to bring in the Pat imo...

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Meeedya release from the Warriors says he's withdrawn from the team for Saturday.

Skinner

Coach
The official word :

The Vodafone Warriors today confirmed police in Sydney are investigating an allegation of sexual misconduct against winger Michael Crockett.

Chief executive Wayne Scurrah said the alleged incident happened away from the team’s hotel and Crockett was the only player being investigated.

“We have informed the National Rugby League and our major partners about the issue,” he said.

“The club has assisted Michael in gaining access to legal advice. He has told us he strenuously denies the allegation.”

Because of the privacy of the matter, Scurrah will be the club’s only spokesman on the issue.

After discussions between head coach Ivan Cleary and Crockett it agreed it was in Crockett’s best interests to have two or three days off, and he has withdrawn from the line-up for this Saturday night’s match against the Gold Coast Titans at Mt Smart Stadium.

Scurrah said the team was fully focused on the game against the Titans

http://www.warriors.co.nz/

AliN

Live Update Team
and hopefully Paddy will come in onto the wing until this is sorted.

Rich102

Staff member
I just heard it on the National Programme news, and they rarely have any sport news let alone RL.
I feel sorry for Crockett, irrespective if he's guilty or not guilty, it is an allegation that will stick with him for life.
Hope it doesn't unsettle the team too much.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Who ever put the smiley on this post is an out-right wanker.

This sort of thing is not something to snigger at.

Hopefully, the police can get to the bottom of this quickly. Either way, it's very disappointing for Crockett to be allegedly involved.

Iafeta

Referee
RLIF, you are a knob. How is that worth a smiley? What a wanker. Is it funny to the potential victim? Is it funny to the alleged? Of course it's not, you are a fool.

If Crockett is found to be guilty, he should be axed. But after that point, I think the club and the NRL should assist both the victim and the alleged. Too often, such as the Latu case, people are just cast aside. I think as a socially responsible group of partnerships its our sports responsibility to try and assist all involved to get through it - if his career is over, help him with education and assistance with whatever instrument drove him to do what he is alleged to have done.

He does vehomently deny the charges, here's hoping he's right for his sake. If he's proven innocent, it'll hold no bearing with me on his reputation but alas it will with others.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Also why has he called an NRL star - thats far from the truth - how many games has he played in his what 4+ years?

But hope it is all rightfully resolved and Crockett is cleared. Right next to the finals - sort of killed the buzz.

Titans would be a good bet this weekend.

Latest posts