What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Michael Hagan quits as Parramatta Eels coach

strider

Post Whore
Sure, but there is something quite unique about Parramatta.

No they're not. It's good to see the Eels still have enough profile to dominate the sporting news of the day. In Sydney only the Dragons would command as much buzz on a coach quitting.

Exactly. Ray Warren once said that Parramatta is the Collingwood of the NRL. (I hate to compare us to AFL but I think you know what I mean).

I dunno .... I don't think we are as mighty as we once were in that department - times have changed, things have moved on

Gronk

Staff member
All he said was that he was sick of the F3 commute and that his (twin) girls were doing the HSC this year so it was time that he spends some more time @ home.

He wished us luck and said that he was confident that the 2009 playing roster would put us in great stead for a successful season.

He didn't mention his heath in the bit that 2GB replayed nor did he mention the teams performance in 2008.

globalrocka

Juniors
When the Hagan/Smith swap went down it was like a great big thank the Almighty but its seems we may have let the better coach go!
Without Joey there to save him Hagan was not the "top" coach he was thought of and with Smith having success with the no-names and also rans that now make up the Knights squad ....
Thanks to Hags for all his hardwork, not saying he didn't try... but who is the better coach?
On another note can we get someone to put the fight back in the boys cause we have a team to support but just need that mongruel back in the Blue and Gold!

globalrocka

Juniors
When the Hagan/Smith swap went down it was like a great big thank you to the Almighty but its seems we may have let the better coach go!
Without Joey there to save him Hagan was not the "top" coach he was thought of and with Smith having success with the no-names and also rans that now make up the Knights squad ....

Thanks to Hags for all his hardwork, not saying he didn't try... but who is the better coach?

On another note can we get someone to put the fight back in the boys cause we have a team to support but just need that mongruel back in the Blue and Gold!

yosemite

Juniors
Whilst I am happy with the decision for Hagan to move on, he can not be held totally accountable for Parra's on field performances last year. Need a seismic shift in culture and players need to take a long hard look at themselves during the off season.
It starts and ends with the players......

TheRam

Coach
Well Ovo did say during the Presentation after the Grand Final at Wenty that he would love to see Rip in a Parramatta Shirt again some time soon.

Good point MITS. Maybe Rip will be the interim coach for 2009, while a permanent replacement is found for 2010 and beyond, as that is what came to mind when I first read that statement.

Gronk

Staff member
Eels coach Hagan quits

Greg Prichard | October 21, 2008 - 12:51PM

MICHAEL Hagan has quit as Parramatta coach with a year to go on his contract, saying he had lost the energy and enthusiasm to continue coaching and that he needed to spend more time with his family.
Hagan, whose wife, Sue, and their three school-age daughters continued to live in Newcastle while he spent most of his time in Sydney during his first two years with the Eels, said he did not expect to get the urge to coach again and would now look at other career avenues.
Former New Zealand Warriors and St Helens coach Daniel Anderson, who formerly coached lower grades at Parramatta while Brian Smith was in change, is the favourite to get the job for next year. Anderson is coming hom without a job after finishing up at St Helens.
"My daughters are in their final years of high school in Newcastle and the constant travel was taking its toll,'' said Hagan in a statement.
"I've also got a number of issues with my personal health which I need to get sorted out.
"After much thought and discussion with those closest to me I decided it would be best to go now prior to the start of pre-season training.''
Eels chief executive Denis Fitzgerald described Anderson as "ticking all the boxes", but added the club was in no hurry to make a decision and would consider all suitable candidates.
Hagan said he had informed Fitzgerald of his decision last Thursday. Fitzgerald informed the club's board at last night's scheduled meeting.
Hagan's decision to resign means he will not be paid out for the final year of his contract, costing him an estimated $300,000.
Parramatta was unlikely to reappoint Hagan for the 2010 season and beyond, but he said speculation about his future beyond next year did not impact on his decision.
"I've been thinking about this for about six months," Hagan said at a noon media conference to announce his decision. "I think it was Warren Ryan who said you get cured of coaching at some point, and I think I'm nearly cured."
The former Newcastle coach has been under pressure after the Eels performed poorly this year, missing the finals when big things were expected after they made the grand final qualifier in 2007.
Fitzgerald said the club was surprised by Hagan's decision but understood the reasoning for his decision and was sympathetic to his situation regarding his family and also his health.
Assistants David Fairleigh and Matthew Cameron would run the team, in the meantime.
with AAP

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/health-and-family-first/2008/10/21/1224351200217.html

TheRam

Coach
So whats going to happen if the Eels go sh*thouse this season?

I mean, maybe all the blame can go on the Players instead of the coach then?

No the board and players will just blame the upheaval of losing a coach in the off season and the uncertainty and the unrest that it created to unsettle the joint, which didn't allow for a great preparation, which threw the club and and all their dreams into a tail spin and, and, and...

TheRam

Coach
Fitz says he will talk to Anderson when he gets back from the USA

worrying that he mentioned Fairleigh as a candidate though

Lets hope that it is a diplomacy statement only to include him in the mix, otherwise Fitz is more ridiculous the anyone thought.

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
Fairleigh will just be like hagan, he has learnt off him his whole career, cameron i think is better suited as assistant and 20s coach.

Got to be anderson, rip or flanagan in that order

I hope his personal health problems are not bad and he gets well soon, good luck to his daughters in the HSC.
Thanks for your efforts Michael, all the best for the future.

Krakow

Juniors
A Story I heard a while back showed me that While the Players performance had been less than adequate. The coaches constant acceptance of such performances while defending his players both internally and externally was a bigger issue this year at this club than most would think.

That was something that irked me no end this year, I feel I'm a fair minded person but it was plain (and sad really) to see some of our side simply not put in during the season yet Hagan would get to the press conference and defend them week in week out :crazy: loyalty is admirable but .....

A few of them needed a rocket, not be hit with a feather each week :roll:

strider

Post Whore
That was something that irked me no end this year, I feel I'm a fair minded person but it was plain (and sad really) to see some of our side simply not put in during the season yet Hagan would get to the press conference and defend them week in week out :crazy: loyalty is admirable but .....

A few of them needed a rocket, not be hit with a feather each week :roll:
I couldn't agree more

Parra R 4 Me

Juniors
When I saw the headlines on the optus homepage I went Oh sh*t, but maybe he knew deep down that he would be shown anyway. Is there any chance Fitzy will announce he will be leaving also????

Latest posts