What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Michael Tyler resigns

Whats Doing

Bench
Knights web site states that Michael Tyler has resigned as chaiman of the Board. No replacement at this stage.

Views anyone??

roopy

Referee
He did an excellent job - and i think turning things around and handing over to someone else is also a good move.
The guy before him started well but got old and stale in the job and ended up doing some very ordinary work for maybe 5 years.
Tyler had the perfect period in charge IMO - and hopefully he stays on the board to keep an eye on the next bloke.

Mr48Volts

Juniors
Peter Corcoran has been named the replacement. Apparently Harrogan stormed out of the meeting after Tyler was dumped.

Alex28

Coach
http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/t...word-after-coup/2007/01/31/1169919408044.html
Top Knight falls on his sword after coup

Brett Keeble
February 1, 2007

MIKE Tyler was dumped as Knights chairman last night as the club's factions clashed at a heated board meeting in Newcastle.

In an equally stunning aftermath, the chief executive of one faction, Wests Group boss Phil Gardner, accused the Knights' Newcastle Rugby League faction directors of staging a "palace coup" that had the potential to cause more damage to the club's corporate reputation than that caused by the 12 players who broke a curfew in Bathurst after a pre-season game two years ago.

Vince Murphy, one of the four Newcastle group directors, moved a vote of no confidence in Tyler's chairmanship and it was seconded by Peter Corcoran, who has replaced Tyler as acting chairman.

Murphy, fellow Newcastle RL appointments Trevor Crow, Kevin Parker and Kevin Smith, and Corcoran voted in favour and, in the absence of elected directors Paul Harragon and Mark Fitzgibbon, who left shortly after the meeting began when frustrated by issues Murphy tried to raise, the motion was carried and Tyler resigned.

A livid Gardner indicated the Wests faction board could decide to review its long-term financial partnership with the Knights as a result of Tyler's demise, and he was scathing in his criticism of the four Newcastle RL directors.

"We've worked so hard with Michael and the Knights to take the club from a $600,000 loss last year to a significant profit this year. It's been a very difficult process, and we've worked so hard at this," Gardner said. "I can't believe these unelected people, these Newcastle Rugby League people, operating out of their own self-interests, have operated like this and taken these steps against their chairman."

Gardner was supported by Fitzgibbon, who said: "The ordinary members of the club have lost control of the club. The club is now being run by the Newcastle Rugby League."

Last night Tyler told the Herald he was disappointed to be forced out, "but once the vote went the way it went, I had no option but to resign. If the ultimate outcome of this results in a more professional organisation, then I'll be happy to have been the sacrificial lamb."

The developments last night arose from a well-publicised falling out between Tyler and Knights chief executive Ken Conway late last year. Conway did not return the Herald's call.

You have got to be f***ing kidding me. The NRL representatives - who don't have to be voted in, don't have to show their credentials to us and don't have to justify to us why they have the right to be a member of the board - are doing their best to completely f*** up the hard work of the last 12 months.

Why isn't Conway the one falling on his sword??????

Alex28 said:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/top-knight-falls-on-his-sword-after-coup/2007/01/31/1169919408044.html

You have got to be f***ing kidding me. The NRL representatives - who don't have to be voted in, don't have to show their credentials to us and don't have to justify to us why they have the right to be a member of the board - are doing their best to completely f*** up the hard work of the last 12 months.

Why isn't Conway the one falling on his sword??????

How CAN a vote of no confidence be made in a guy (Tyler). when he has done so much for the Knights since he became chairman????????? ............

No confidence in what??????????

Exactly medieval..no confidence>how about no confidence in how we got so far in debt and along comes tyler and kick starts us with sponsors and Wests that should have happened 10 yrs ago..no confidence crap..i love what he did for a club that had stuff and noiw has so much..all within 12-18 months..I just hope the next bloke can take the club forward as quickly as he did..idiots

Alex28

Coach
Mind you, by my sums if Harragon and Fitzgibbon hadn't walked out of the meeting the NRL gang wouldn't have had the numbers...

Vince Murphy (the one who instigated the vote of no confidence ) has apparently ducked for cover. When approached by A newcastle radio station as to why he moved a vote of no confidence in Tyler reportedly said (off air) that he did not have to give his reasons to anyone. Come on Murphy be a man and state your reasons ON AIR

cram

Bench
Well perhaps its time for the members to make their feelings known. My concern is the comments from Gardner about the long term financial deal being in jeopardy, and again Conway is up to neck in the mix of trouble.

I wonder if this is the Real NRL's way of having a swipe at the Wests group???

Frederick

Staff member
cram said:
Well perhaps its time for the members to make their feelings known. My concern is the comments from Gardner about the long term financial deal being in jeopardy, and again Conway is up to neck in the mix of trouble.

I wonder if this is the Real NRL's way of having a swipe at the Wests group???
That's the part that scared me the most too :(

antonius

Coach
Conways little power base is behind this (IMO) As someone else said why the hell did Chief and Fitzgibbon leave? The whole set up of the board is wrong when 4 local league members (who are members for no other reason, and aren't voted in by the general membership) can change the destiny of the club and there isn't a thing the ordinary members can do about it. I fear this will send us right back to where we were 18 months ago. Time for the members to demand that Conway be punted, and a vote held again on the way the board is made up, I don't doubt this was prompted from local issues wanting to have a shot at the Wests club. The people responsible should be ashamed of themselves. This will huge implications for the future of the club, Coal and Allied aren't going to be impressed by what's happened, surely another meeting can be called and ALL the board members re-vote on this, I'm sure Tyler would reconsider if that were to happen.

Wally4Ever

Juniors
antonius said:
Conways little power base is behind this (IMO) As someone else said why the hell did Chief and Fitzgibbon leave? The whole set up of the board is wrong when 4 local league members (who are members for no other reason, and aren't voted in by the general membership) can change the destiny of the club and there isn't a thing the ordinary members can do about it. I fear this will send us right back to where we were 18 months ago. Time for the members to demand that Conway be punted, and a vote held again on the way the board is made up, I don't doubt this was prompted from local issues wanting to have a shot at the Wests club. The people responsible should be ashamed of themselves. This will huge implications for the future of the club, Coal and Allied aren't going to be impressed by what's happened, surely another meeting can be called and ALL the board members re-vote on this, I'm sure Tyler would reconsider if that were to happen.

Its sure looks like a case of the monkeys now running the Zoo. For months we have heard whispers that Conway would be punted, and then out of the blue The Chairman who has made so many positive contributions to completely turn the place around is punted for his excellent efforts. He does the job for FREE and the other guys gets paid $200k a year to run it back into the ground where he led it the first time.

All sounds very frustrating. No wonder the Chief is p!ssed. Murphy is a gutless wonder - If he's brave enough to raise a vote of no confidence in the absence of probably the two smartest Board Members - then he should have the balls to go publiuc with his reason - seeing its going to be the cause of the clubs downfall.

B-dos

Referee
this is a disgraceful situation. as others have said here, the fact that Newcastle RL representitives with no real credentials, and most likely pushing their own agenda's, can have this kind of impact on our club is ridiculous.

The club needs to restructure the board to ensure this type of thing cannot happen again. We need smart thinking business people in charge who understand how a multi million dollar operation runs. We dont need a bunch of unelected rugby league no-names having any say in the club. hopefully one good to come out of this may be a change in the structure.

macavity

Referee
we need to get some members together and call an extraordinary GM.

who here is a member?

does anyone have a copy of the constitution handy, or can get one at short notice?

its time to make some changes - NRL delegates and Conway must go.

cram

Bench
Yep we need a copy of the constitution to see what we can or can't do.... I am a memeber

IanG

Coach
Get rid of the NRL Deligates. If you ask me it sounds like they're more trouble than they're worth

Latest posts