What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mighty pennies v the tigpies

murraymob

Coach
Big game up next .we will be missing plenty but after watching the roosters tear apart the raiders with there spare parts team no excuses we should win
Moses Leota will be missing as he will be suspended 1 game is he accepts the charge if he fights and loses 2 games
Yeo on report but is getting a fine free to play origin
Missing for sure that has been confirmed
Yeo. Cleary To.o. Leota with the rest of origin be named later so more could be missing

Crashtest

Juniors
So who replaces Yeo, Capewell and Leota? Smith and Hopgood added to bench, with Sorensen and Leniu added to the starting side?

Hopefully Edwards is back, so Crichton can cover centre with Burton in the halves. Jennings in for To’o.

Falls or May to partner Burton, or does Salmon get a game?

Will certainly be an interesting game to see how we cover all the changes.

IT GAVE birth to a legend and kick-started two great NRL careers in playing and coaching.

It also gave the game one of its most memorable quotes.

Remarkably, many of the central characters on the night in 2002 when the original “Baby Broncos’ caused a monumental upset at Campbelltown Stadium are still involved in the game.

One, Broncos lock Corey Parker, will play for the Broncos against the 2002 victims, the Wests Tigers, at Suncorp Stadium on Sunday.

Nathan Friend, who came off the bench for his Broncos debut, is currently plying his trade with the New Zealand Warriors after stints with the Broncos, Storm and Gold Coast Titans and captured international headlines with a spectacular backflip catch-and-pass try assist only last weekend.

Shane Walker, who captained the Baby Broncos, is coaching the Ipswich Jets in the Intrust Super Cup alongside his brother Ben.

Walker was also responsible for one of the best quotes in Australian sport.

Interviewed before the game, Walker was asked how he felt about being named Broncos’ captain and replied: “I haven’t been this happy since I came home to find the missus dressed in a French maid’s outfit.”

The Broncos travelled to inhospitable Campelltown Stadium 13 years ago minus nine State of Origin representatives and without coach Wayne Bennett, who was the Queensland coach.

No one gave the young Broncos - the most inexperienced line-up the club had ever fielded with two 17-year-olds, two 18-year-olds and two 19-year-olds in the side - any hope of beating Terry Lamb’s Tigers. No one, that is, except acting coach Bellamy.

Seven players - Nick Parfitt, Steve Irwin, Scott Minto, Robert Tanielu, Nathan Friend, Kris Kahler and Steve Lacaze - debuted for Brisbane that night.

Shane Walker gave most of the credit for the upset win to Bellamy.

“Craig gave us a lot of confidence from early in the week before the game,” Walker recalled this week.

“For example, he showed us that Tigers winger Hassan Saleh had a habit of moving close to scrums and showed us that he did it every time.

“He told us not to be afraid to attack down that side from scrums and to kick in behind Saleh if we wanted to.

“By the end of the week we were pretty confident we could win, even if no one else gave us a chance.”

The teams in Round 12, 2002:

BRONCOS: Nick Parfitt, Steve Irwin, Stuart Kelly, Casey McGuire, Scott Minto, Brett Seymour, Scott Prince, Corey Parker, Shane Walker (c), Robert Tanielu, Brad Meyers, Mick Coorey, Phillip Lee. Res: Elia Tuqiri, Nathan Friend, Kris Kahler, Steve Lacaze.

TIGERS: Joel Caine, Hassan Saleh, Kevin McMcGuiness, Matt Seers, Ahmad Bajouri, Lincoln Withers, Ben Jeffries, Corey Pearson, Robert Mears, John Skandalis, Darren Senter :copyright:, Willie Manu, Troy Wozniak. Int: Balin Cupples, Luke Isakka, Chris Paterson, Nick Bradley-Qalilawa.

Broncos 28 (Casey McGuire 2, Steve Irwin 2, Robert Tanielu tries; Scott Prince 4 goals) d Tigers 14.

Referee: Tim Mander

franklin2323

Immortal
So who replaces Yeo, Capewell and Leota? Smith and Hopgood added to bench, with Sorensen and Leniu added to the starting side?

Hopefully Edwards is back, so Crichton can cover centre with Burton in the halves. Jennings in for To’o.

Falls or May to partner Burton, or does Salmon get a game?

Will certainly be an interesting game to see how we cover all the changes.

Depends if we lose Martin too but assuming he doesn't make it.

Edwards
Jennings
Crichton
Momo
Staines
May
Burton
Eisen
Api
JFH
Kikau
Martin
Sorensen

Kenny
Leinu
Tago
Smith/Hopgood

Would be what I think is most likely

I prefer Falls to slot straight in but he didn't seem to sure he'd get the call up when I asked him on Wed

Hopgood being underdone and no Moses. Leaves a rookie bench so not sure it is the best for debuting a half

franklin2323

Immortal
Momo 6 and Tago centre is worth a thought

If Leota wasn't an idiot that would be a good option. Not sure we have the forwards now to run like that.

I'd rather Tago play backrow than May. Hopgood missing the last 2 weeks probably sees him not start in 13. Meaning Martin or Sorensen goes there

Girds89

Bench
Edwards
Jennings
Momo
Critta
Staines
May
Burton
Jfh
Kenny
Eiso
Kikau
Sorenson
Hopgood

Spencer
Lindsay smith
Tago
Salmon

Depth will be tested given leota out and 7 out with origin.

Bit light on bench. Will be a real challenge this week.

tripster

Juniors
Can API still play this weekend?

I have been wondering the same thing. I am not sure. I assume he probably can’t because if he gets injured he won’t be available as 18th man (and the 18th man might now need to play).

I hope I am wrong and he is available for this week but my understanding is that he probably isn’t.

murraymob

Coach
Our backs can match them it’s just our go forward and bench that will hurt us .apart from JFH no one has played long minutes

Edwards
Jennings
Momo
Critta
Staines
May
Burton
Jfh
Kenny
Eiso
Kikau
Sorenson
Hopgood

Spencer
Lindsay smith
Tago
Salmon

Depth will be tested given leota out and 7 out with origin.

Bit light on bench. Will be a real challenge this week.

I like the look of that team :thumbsup:

I was thinking about the potential of Blacker being in the squad given that we're light on props.

However, after reading the comments in the Doggies game thread regarding how terrible he played in NSW cup (I didn’t get to watch it), it’s probably a good thing that he isn’t considered for now.

maple_69

Bench
I’m tipping the below side assuming Api and Moses are not able to play. I think Falls is the better option to pair with Burton than May. Just task him with organising and kicking and Burton can run plays and kick. May and Edwards will be more involved of course. I think the starting side will absolutely hold their own against the Tigers. Game will come down to the bench and whether our kids can perform which I expect them to do given their reggies form and the standards established at the club.

1. Edwards
2. Jennings
3. Momo
4. Crichton
5. Staines
6. Burton
7. Falls
8. Fish
9. Kenny
10. Eisenhuth
11. Kikau
12. Sorensen