What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mighty pennies v the tigpies

mxlegend99

Referee
Teams lose when backs go out of the game. You have forwards on the bench that can play longer. Most sides are running with an outside back

If a winger goes down you need to move a couple of guys to cover. Either way it should be someone that can play several positions
You have almost every position covered multiple times with the 17 selected. Jack Wighton can play anywhere in the backline and is big enough he could go into the pack if we should need him to. But his primary job is to cover any injuries to the backs.You want to give 2 people that job and no one to cover hooker?

Fullbacks: Teddy, Mitchell, Turbo and Wighton
Wingers: Fox, To'o, Turbo, Mitchell, Wighton
Centres: Mitchell, Turbo, Wighton
Halves: Cleary, Luai, Wighton
Hooker: Cook

The only position we don't have cover for in our 17 is hooker. Makes far more sense to include a hooker as your 18th man if you can't fit him into your 17. We then have to hope that if we get an injury it's from illegal play so the 18th man can actually be used.

Campbell Graham is just offering less of what Jack Wighton offers. If we need to cover multiple backs you start by moving Murray and then Yeo. The outside backs are easier to cover with a bandaid fix than hooker is.

Makes no sense to plan for losing multiple backs but just assume our hooker will get through 80 minutes and is no chance at injury... and honestly a hooker has far more influence over the outcome of the game than the backs do. His service, decisions and running to get his forwards on the front foot are the key to getting ontop in games. Freddy has picked Wighton to cover the most positions of out utility options which is a good decision, and he has Api as 18th man to cover the one position we really don't have covered. It's the most sensible option to cover all our bases. We could just as easily get through with no injuries and Wighton only getting a token few minutes. Which is ideally how the game goes.

franklin2323

Immortal
You have almost every position covered multiple times with the 17 selected. Jack Wighton can play anywhere in the backline and is big enough he could go into the pack if we should need him to. But his primary job is to cover any injuries to the backs.You want to give 2 people that job and no one to cover hooker?

Fullbacks: Teddy, Mitchell, Turbo and Wighton
Wingers: Fox, To'o, Turbo, Mitchell, Wighton
Centres: Mitchell, Turbo, Wighton
Halves: Cleary, Luai, Wighton
Hooker: Cook

The only position we don't have cover for in our 17 is hooker. Makes far more sense to include a hooker as your 18th man if you can't fit him into your 17. We then have to hope that if we get an injury it's from illegal play so the 18th man can actually be used.

Campbell Graham is just offering less of what Jack Wighton offers. If we need to cover multiple backs you start by moving Murray and then Yeo. The outside backs are easier to cover with a bandaid fix than hooker is.

Makes no sense to plan for losing multiple backs but just assume our hooker will get through 80 minutes and is no chance at injury... and honestly a hooker has far more influence over the outcome of the game than the backs do. His service, decisions and running to get his forwards on the front foot are the key to getting ontop in games. Freddy has picked Wighton to cover the most positions of out utility options which is a good decision, and he has Api as 18th man to cover the one position we really don't have covered. It's the most sensible option to cover all our bases. We could just as easily get through with no injuries and Wighton only getting a token few minutes. Which is ideally how the game goes.

Cam Murray played hooker when he 1st came into FG. Luai a bit too. Nathan Brown played hooker.. but plays prop and lock too. That is the sort of multiple positions you should have

As for Wighton. There is zero chance someone doesn't go off for HIA so he will play there and either way will play backrow.

MugaB

Coach
Cam Murray played hooker when he 1st came into FG. Luai a bit too. Nathan Brown played hooker.. but plays prop and lock too. That is the sort of multiple positions you should have

As for Wighton. There is zero chance someone doesn't go off for HIA so he will play there and either way will play backrow.
I think luai will shift to hooker, if there isn't enough HIAs to let Api come on, that just gives wighton a run in his preferred 5/8th position and can give cook a break from the relentless tackling of 80mins of origin.
I still think Api should have been on the bench instead of a bench prop. He is a far better tackler and will no doubt handle the bulk of defence

MugaB

Coach
What happened to Penrith v Tigers?
Probably a non issue, seems that we will still have more penrith players in our squad than wests do, lets see Tamou, Lauire, Roberts, Blore, Cini.. yep i think we have more than five even without our origin selected players, we should win,

By my calculations tho, Queensland origin side has only 1 panther, so NSW should win by a mile also

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
Agree 1000%
Wont happen, the new 17th team will have its catch up byes during this period, meaning every team will have 2 byes a year, once every week, for every team once then again for remaining rounds, plus a bulk bye week like during this origin period, its a nessesary evil, until the comp can get to 18 clubs, plus it's a good way to rest players with niggles, if edwards is still hampered by the hamstring, just knowing that a bye is close by can help having that extra week off.
And i don't mind seeing the depth for each other club playing 1st grade, if origin duties hamper a certain team, like us this friday night

Last edited:
Probably a non issue, seems that we will still have more penrith players in our squad than wests do, lets see Tamou, Lauire, Roberts, Blore, Cini.. yep i think we have more than five even without our origin selected players, we should win,

By my calculations tho, Queensland origin side has only 1 panther, so NSW should win by a mile also

“ we still have more Penrith players in our squad than Wests do”

Lol. That’s f**king brilliant, I’ll share it at work today.

The_Frog

First Grade
I think luai will shift to hooker, if there isn't enough HIAs to let Api come on, that just gives wighton a run in his preferred 5/8th position and can give cook a break from the relentless tackling of 80mins of origin.
I still think Api should have been on the bench instead of a bench prop. He is a far better tackler and will no doubt handle the bulk of defence
All this because the coach preferred to pick star players and shoehorn them in, rather than have a genuine utility.

MugaB

Coach
All this because the coach preferred to pick star players and shoehorn them in, rather than have a genuine utility.
Not really Jack Wighton without a doubt is probably the best Utility NSW could ever have, is a half, started as a fulback and played in the centres at rep level, could even shift into back row if nessesary..
I just think with the pace of the game this year, fast speedy tacklers, are your best defence, they get in up and under, and gives the rest of the defence time to join in, but having 2 "only props" on the bench seems like a waste and they'll be slow, i don't mind the Jurbo as a prop, because he makes his tackles and isn't slow.

franklin2323

Immortal
He's the one guy you can replace cook with and not lose anything. Not one other player can cover the hooker like that.

Is that what you want from an 18th man to cover 1 guy well? Or can play several positions given they come on for inury to anyone

Whino

Bench
Wont happen, the new 17th team will have its catch up byes during this period, meaning every team will have 2 byes a year, once every week, for every team once then again for remaining rounds, plus a bulk bye week like during this origin period, its a nessesary evil, until the comp can get to 18 clubs, plus it's a good way to rest players with niggles, if edwards is still hampered by the hamstring, just knowing that a bye is close by can help having that extra week off.
And i don't mind seeing the depth for each other club playing 1st grade, if origin duties hamper a certain team, like us this friday night

I don't mind seeing young kids get a go but by and large the next 5-6 weeks there are going to be some mediocre clashes coming up. Bum teams like the Cowboys are going to be worse with players like Holmes out. They don't have the depth or class elsewhere to cover him. Manly are too top heavy and will feel it.
I would rather Origin stand alone or end of the year. Because money rules it will never happen.
I hate this time of the year.

mxlegend99

Referee
Is that what you want from an 18th man to cover 1 guy well? Or can play several positions given they come on for inury to anyone
You want cover for every position. This 18 man squad does that. The 17 man squad covers all but one position.

We already have a utility to cover most positions in the squad. There's a high quality option to cover every position... Except hooker where there's none and a quality hooker will make or break the teams in Origin. Queensland always run with 2 hookers and are even happy to have both on the field at once and it's always an area that turns the game for them.

Luai or Murray to hooker is going to barely do a job at hooker. Both can cover centre at a higher standard than they could cover hooker. If Cook was injured and we had a bloke with next to no NRL experience at hooker we are pretty much screwed.

If both centres went down and we shifted Wighton and Murray/Yeo we would still have a fighting chance. Queensland go in with Capewell starting as a centre. Murray or Yeo could match him well enough. Honestly their team makes our ability to cover centres that bit easier.

murraymob

Coach
I think we can beat the tigpies .Hold them in the middle .We know Laurie is there key but hold there forwards and we are in with a chance
Win this and it will go down as the clubs greatest victory and deflate all the other clubs knowing we still won
Up the mighty panthers

betcats

Referee
I think we can beat the tigpies .Hold them in the middle .We know Laurie is there key but hold there forwards and we are in with a chance
Win this and it will go down as the clubs greatest victory and deflate all the other clubs knowing we still won
Up the mighty panthers

Play the game down their end, Burtons massive boot will be a big help with that. If we can keep our defence close to our usual performance than we are a very good chance.