What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mitchell Pearce

RWB

Bench
So was Reynolds. I think you can isolate a couple of games for any player and say they were average. But with Pearce you can look at season after season and see a clear trend.

What a load of crap.

Pearce has struggled at rep level no doubt but as a club halfback he's always been very good.

Finished 2nd for Try Assists & 1st for Line Break Assists in the comp this year... what a dud.

Valheru

Coach
I look forward to when Sir Mitch gets selected for origin again this year and next year. The meltdown here will be epic.

hardbaby

Coach
What a load of crap.

Pearce has struggled at rep level no doubt but as a club halfback he's always been very good.

Finished 2nd for Try Assists & 1st for Line Break Assists in the comp this year... what a dud.

You are misreading the comment. I am referring exclusively to Origin. This thread is about Origin (that's why it is in the Origin section of the site). I rate Pearce highly at club level. But he just doesn't have it on the bigger stage. Season after season he has proven that. His stats at club level are irrelevant to this discussion.

Jason Maher

Immortal
It's unlikely to happen, but I would enjoy the reaction from RBM and Phil if NSW were to win a series with Pearce as halfback.

DJShaksta

First Grade
If Pearce played for QLD and Cronk for NSW, Qld would still have won... :p

2ictr_zps586d71ba.gif

lol

Exhibit A proves you wrong.

DJShaksta

First Grade
Stop arguing with Neuteredsupporter, there's no point.
He's one of these rusted on c0cks supporters that thinks Pearce deserves his NSW jersey.

Great club player is Mitchell, has never once stood out in a state of origin game - except for all the wrong reasons.

Tweed Titan

Bench
I love that people are using the GF win to argue that Pearce should be in for NSW again next year. Anyone could see that Maloney was controlling everything in the halves that game and Pearce couldn't even come up with the right option at the end either, but the Roosters were home by then. He was one of the worst on ground and a passenger IMO.

This dud should not be picked unless he comes out of the blocks in 2014 in Dally M form. That should be his ONLY hope. He needs to be having a Hayne 2009, Carney 2010, Barba 2012, Cronk 2013 type start to the year to even be considered IMO. The you tube video above say it all really. If we want a good defender with absolutely no creativity and a limited kicking game at half back why don't we just play a back rower (Luke Lewis) at 7 as he does everything Mythchell does plus a whole lot more.

I will note some players who definitely offer more than Pearce RIGHT NOW.

Todd Carney
Jarrod Mullen
Albert Kelly

Pearce is the worst player in origin history to have played more than 10 SOO games. FACT.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I'd like to see just one non-Roosters/non-Qlderper fan who thinks Pearce deserves his spot in the NSW side

I'm betting such a person doesn't exist

RWB

Bench
I love that people are using the GF win to argue that Pearce should be in for NSW again next year. Anyone could see that Maloney was controlling everything in the halves that game and Pearce couldn't even come up with the right option at the end either, but the Roosters were home by then. He was one of the worst on ground and a passenger IMO.

This dud should not be picked unless he comes out of the blocks in 2014 in Dally M form. That should be his ONLY hope. He needs to be having a Hayne 2009, Carney 2010, Barba 2012, Cronk 2013 type start to the year to even be considered IMO. The you tube video above say it all really. If we want a good defender with absolutely no creativity and a limited kicking game at half back why don't we just play a back rower (Luke Lewis) at 7 as he does everything Mythchell does plus a whole lot more.

I will note some players who definitely offer more than Pearce RIGHT NOW.

Todd Carney
Jarrod Mullen
Albert Kelly

Pearce is the worst player in origin history to have played more than 10 SOO games. FACT.

I agree winning a Grand Final shouldn't be used as a reason to ever select a player in rep football first and foremost because it's a team achievement. Pearce's inability to transform his ability to rep level over a prolonged period of time is all the proof anyone needs to argue that he shouldn't be selected in SOO.

However you do talk a lot of crap Pearce was very good for us in the Grand Final, when trailing by our biggest deficit he was the one to step up and put a flat ball onto the chest of Guerra & get us back in the game. His kicking game was very good, his defence excellent & anyone who knows anything about football they would be able to appreciate the performance he put in for us. For a bloke who apparently took a back seat to Maloney in the organisational department it's strange the stats read that he had twice as many touches of the ball and twice as many kicks.

Take the blinkers off and start putting forward some decent arguments.

Also FWIW I don't think Kelly would be the right option, his team mate Sezer is the real halfback of that team. He's got an excellent kicking game, organises well & a good knack of knowing when to run and when to pass.

Tweed Titan

Bench
I agree winning a Grand Final shouldn't be used as a reason to ever select a player in rep football first and foremost because it's a team achievement. Pearce's inability to transform his ability to rep level over a prolonged period of time is all the proof anyone needs to argue that he shouldn't be selected in SOO.

However you do talk a lot of crap Pearce was very good for us in the Grand Final, when trailing by our biggest deficit he was the one to step up and put a flat ball onto the chest of Guerra & get us back in the game. His kicking game was very good, his defence excellent & anyone who knows anything about football they would be able to appreciate the performance he put in for us. For a bloke who apparently took a back seat to Maloney in the organisational department it's strange the stats read that he had twice as many touches of the ball and twice as many kicks.

Take the blinkers off and start putting forward some decent arguments.

Also FWIW I don't think Kelly would be the right option, his team mate Sezer is the real halfback of that team. He's got an excellent kicking game, organises well & a good knack of knowing when to run and when to pass.

You are right that Sezer is the predominant kicker for the Titans and is a smooth footballer. I just think if we were to put Kelly with the right 5/8 that his off the cuff style and blistering pace could be something Qld would struggle massively to cope with. If he had a Carney/Maloney/Mullen/Sezer next to him handling the majority of the kicking and organisation his creativity and Terry Lamb-esque back up ability would be a massive asset for NSW.

I will have to agree to disagree with you about Pearce in the GF though. Mediocre at best that day and again have a look at how he handled the last play of the game. Not a natural half back. I wouldn't be surprised if he moves to hooker in the next few years.