What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mitchell Pearce

Mr Saab

Referee
I found it bemusing that Pearce - winless in 5 series before this game - was sledging Thurston as being too old.

Thurston is leading the Dally Ms with his club team in 2nd place and has a 9-2 series record in origin.

Well done Mitchell. 52-6

But hey, laurie will pick and stick as he has been there before. Mitchell will be there in 2016 and Hodkinson will be the fall guy like Carney / Soward / Maloney before him

Who will be the "calming" influence on Mitchell in 2016?

Bronco18

Juniors
I found it bemusing that Pearce - winless in 5 series before this game - was sledging Thurston as being too old.

Thurston is leading the Dally Ms with his club team in 2nd place and has a 9-2 series record in origin.

Well done Mitchell. 52-6

But hey, laurie will pick and stick as he has been there before. Mitchell will be there in 2016 and Hodkinson will be the fall guy like Carney / Soward / Maloney before him

In fairness to Mitchell, Plodkinson is worse and offers nothing except a kicking game. The difference between them is there's not a lot of difference between Hodkinson's best and his worse.

betcats

Referee

Well done Mitchell. 52-6

Sledging isn't about saying something accurate(though it works better that way) its just saying anything(within reason) to get under the skin of your opponent.

I agree Pearce sledging JT is silly but NSW certainly got to JT in game 2, whether it was the sledging or belting him he seemed a bit off at the end. Came back to bite us game 3 though obviously.

isaiah

Bench
When it comes to bagging out the Blues the 'in' thing to do is criticise their choice of halfback. At 22 Pearce has already played over 100 games for his beloved Sydney Roosters and is considered one of the best halves in the game yet he's under constant criticism because he doesn't stack up to the Maroons halves - both of whom didn't make an impact until they were 22 (JT) and 23 (Cronk) respectively.

I just have one question. Who is better than Pearce for NSW?

Come at me LU.
I read somewhere that he simply was the best half that nsw has produced in the last decade so they kept going back to him. Surely now it's over. He should go down in history as one of those players who can excell when in his club's structure but doesn't have another level to rise to in rep footy. Nsw has found a lot of those over 35 years. Qld has had more of the opposite. Solid at club but stands up in a maroon Jersey.

Funny for Mitch was that he actually verballed jt in game 2. How did that work out?

MightyMoo

Juniors
I read somewhere that he simply was the best half that nsw has produced in the last decade so they kept going back to him. Surely now it's over. He should go down in history as one of those players who can excell when in his club's structure but doesn't have another level to rise to in rep footy. Nsw has found a lot of those over 35 years. Qld has had more of the opposite. Solid at club but stands up in a maroon Jersey.

Funny for Mitch was that he actually verballed jt in game 2. How did that work out?

The Rorters have an origin type salary cap, he should excel.

No one better is a laugh
Any player talked about was either
A.not considered because Mythcell was a certain selection .
Or
B.partnered with him & thrown on the scrapheap after one or two losses ...
Why he was given chance after chance is mind boggling .

chigurh

So apparently JT told Pearce to go outside and he would take his photo with the Wally statue, because it's the closest he will ever come to holding the shield.

lol

RedVDragon

Juniors
Why leave him alone he deserves all he gets and more. Very overrated. Has people in high places that look out for him. As long as NSW pick players that belong to the old boys club then we win never be a dominate force.

Danish

Referee
Why leave him alone he deserves all he gets and more. Very overrated. Has people in high places that look out for him. As long as NSW pick players that belong to the old boys club then we win never be a dominate force.

QLD, NSW, and Australian sides are ALL picked based on the old boys club. The only difference is that QLD have had a miracle run with a handful of brilliant players in the last decade while NSW's ranks have been quite thin.

Plenty of boys club members have been picked for QLD over their run who, if picked on form, would barely have played more than a couple games (Gillett, Thaiday, Johnson, etc). Just easy to keep your faves in the side when you have a nice core of Cronk, Smith, Slater, and Inglis to fall base the side around.

Its the stupid old boys club that sees Australia starting to get its arse handed to it internationally by the kiwis these days. Selectors just pick their favourites from the QLD and NSW boys clubs and then wonder why they keep getting belted by a team that is actually selected by picking the best players in the best positions.

Also, I'm sure Thurston would swap all 9 origin series wins he has for a single premiership at any point in that time.

SaraSassypants

Juniors
He already has a premiership and 3 Dally Ms to go with those 9 Origin wins. JT wouldn't trade places with Pearce for the world.

Danish

Referee
He already has a premiership and 3 Dally Ms to go with those 9 Origin wins. JT wouldn't trade places with Pearce for the world.

A premiership hat he actually has something to do with, not just nagging a bench spot because of injury

I'm sure Thurston wouldn't trade places with anyone. He would trade in origin victories for a Cowboys premiership though

RoosTah

Juniors

JT has a clayton's Premiership. He barely saw 2 minutes of that match. Pearce actually played a pivotal role in his team's one. JT has even acknowledged that he doesn't consider himself a "genuine premiership winner" because he had so little to do with the Dogs win and gave his Premiership ring away as a result.

Sure, JT has been around during a period when NSW haven't had anyone at a Joey or Fittler level to guide them and thus have struggled, but I think most players would prefer to win a premiership than to win Origin. It just means more - particularly given winning Origin for Qld is kinda like beating the Kiwis in the 90s right now.