What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mitchell Pearce

timka4

Bench
I like the look of Campese in the 6 jersey for us because he is - Aggressive, good defender, has a good boot, has a good running game, passing game is pretty good and he is creative.

At Canberra he has had some pretty average backs around him in terms of skill. With classy backline and a halfback that can provide good ball, I think he'd run riot.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
Don't get the Campese love. Sure he dominates games every now and then, but so can Mullen, Carney etc ..

Campese done his ACL, then after 6 months, hurt his knee again. It will be tough for him to come out of the blocks and impress the selectors. Players usually take half a season or so to find their feet when they've had an injury like that.

I'd rather Carney at 6 if he's in form anyway. He can dominate games more consistently then Campese, Mullen and the lot of them.

Last edited:

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I like the look of Campese in the 6 jersey for us because he is - Aggressive, good defender, has a good boot, has a good running game, passing game is pretty good and he is creative.

At Canberra he has had some pretty average backs around him in terms of skill. With classy backline and a halfback that can provide good ball, I think he'd run riot.

Well, so does every player when theyre in form.

I like Campese. I was of the opinion that Canberra should of moved him to half and Carney to 6 when they had the chance but his game has evolved plenty since then. Campese has a bit of a Brad Fittler style to his play but no where near as effective or as often. He's a likely contender for mine, but his normal game is just solid with an above average kicking game. When in form, he can do things.

The way I look at it (this far out), I look at it as likely potential. I look at what players, despite form, can deliver at they're best and at that level. Carney is that man. Pearce is just a fill in. He's not the kind of player that will win us an Origin game, but he's not likely to lose us one either.

Stewart is our fullback. He's done it before at that level and I see no reason why he can't do it again.

Jennings is questioned for his selection quite a bit, but I think he's answered those critics pretty well. Theres plenty more.

Its that kind of thinking that I follow. Carry on.

Last edited:
Don't get the Campese love. Sure he dominates games every now and then, but so can Mullen, Carney etc ..

Campese done his ACL, then after 6 months, hurt his knee again. It will be tough for him to come out of the blocks and impress the selectors. Players usually take half a season or so to find their feet when they've had an injury like that.

I'd rather Carney at 6 if he's in form anyway. He can dominate games more consistently then Campese, Mullen and the lot of them.

He hurt his groin when he came back.
Only playing those 9mins gave him an extra 9 months to rehab that knee. It will be 100% come round 1. It's 100% now.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Carney's Origin hopes plummet as Sharks hand him No.7 jersey
Michael Chammas
February 1, 2012

REVELATIONS that Todd Carney will start the year at No.7 for Cronulla may have ruined any chance he had at finally playing State of Origin this season.
Shane Flanagan's decision to play Carney at halfback could well prove a masterstroke for the Sharks, but it could also be detrimental to Carney's hopes of wearing the NSW jersey he's been tipped to fill since bursting on to the scene as a 19-year-old at Canberra.
Blues coach Ricky Stuart was reluctant to delve into what the positional switch would mean for the player once anointed as Darren Lockyer's heir apparent, but made it quite clear he was happy with the incumbent NSW halfback Mitchell Pearce.

"It's too early to talk about individuals, but I was more than happy with what Mitchell Pearce did for the team last year" ... Ricky Stuart. Photo: Graham Tidy
''It's too early in the season to start talking about individuals,'' Stuart said. ''But I was more than happy with what Mitchell Pearce did for the team last year.''
Stuart was hesitant to pick players out of position last year, making a few exceptions throughout the series because of injury.
But the Herald understands Pearce is favourite to hold on to the No.7 jersey - barring injury - leaving Carney to put forward his case for selection as a five-eighth, a position he wouldn't have played in since his last game for Sydney Roosters on August 7 last year.
Terry Campese, who joins Jamie Soward, Kurt Gidley, John Sutton and James Maloney as the players most likely to gain from Carney's appointment as Cronulla halfback, doesn't have such queries.
Campese played outside of Carney when the 25-year-old was still at the Raiders. He doesn't believe Carney will have any problems slotting back into the five-eighth role if his early season form for Cronulla warranted selection.
''He's played five-eighth in many games in the NRL and there's not too much difference these days. I'm not sure how the Sharks are going to play but I don't think it matters what number is on Toddy's back,'' Campese said. ''He's a quality player and he proved it when he was playing fullback at the Roosters. Whatever position he plays, he just has the ability to slot straight in.''
In his first interview since joining the Sharks, Carney - who has played 47 games at halfback and 45 games at five-eighth in his career so far - wasn't prepared to look past this Friday night's trial against premiers Manly at Toyota Stadium.
However, if he does manage to reproduce the kind of form that guided the Roosters to the grand final in 2010, Carney could make it impossible for Stuart to overlook him, and he'll have his likely NSW halves partner to thank for that.
''I learned a lot off Pearcey when I was playing at fullback [at the Roosters],'' Carney said. ''To follow him around the field, I learned a whole lot off him. I've taken a whole lot of his play here to the Sharks, so hopefully I can do it. Probably not quite as good as him, but I've definitely learnt a lot off him.''
While Carney and Wade Graham will be in the halves for Cronulla to start the season, injuries could force Carney back to second receiver at some point this year.
''Todd will play at seven if he plays with Wade,'' Flanagan said yesterday. ''If he plays with one of the other halves, like Chad [Townsend] or Jeff Robson, he'll play at six. Wade's more of a running five-eighth. He's not a conventional half back as such, he's a runner. We'll get him a little bit wider and let Todd control the ruck a little bit more.''
LINK

''It's too early in the season to start talking about individuals,'' Stuart said. ''But I was more than happy with what Mitchell Pearce did for the team last year.''

Thank You, LORD.

timka4

Bench
He was going to say that regardless if he thought Pearce was good or bad. Another boring article.

Scary name mentioned there for 5/8 though... John Sutton

God-King Dean

Immortal
But the Herald understands Pearce is favourite to hold on to the No.7 jersey - barring injury - leaving Carney to put forward his case for selection as a five-eighth, a position he wouldn't have played in since his last game for Sydney Roosters on August 7 last year.
Terry Campese, who joins Jamie Soward, Kurt Gidley, John Sutton and James Maloney as the players most likely to gain from Carney's appointment as Cronulla halfback, doesn't have such queries.

As I've said, picking halves on the basis of which number they have on their back is f**king geniused.

adamkungl

Immortal
Carney and Pearce combination was the best in the comp in 2010, could be a goer. I expect Soward will be back though.

I'd like to see a Carney/Campese combo tbh. I know we had it at the Raiders, but it didn't really have the chance to develop with Elliott and Henry stuffing around with the halves every week.

I think they'd tear it up together at this stage of their respective careers.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I actually don't expect Soward to be back. The emerging squad was mainly made up of 5/8s and front rowers. I think that's where Ricky Stuart thinks NSW are weakest.

Plus there's been plenty of talk about Carney, Campese, Maloney and very little mention of Soward.