What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mitchell Sargent sacked for cocaine !!!!!

the_eel

Juniors
Look call me old fashioned but whether you like it or not our kids will do what they think or perceive to be cool. If they were to hypothetically find out that one-quarter of the NRL players used cocaine then i'm sure that 'some' would be impressioned enough to do the same....and thats my point that I think whether we like it or not footballers, to a certain degree, are role models.

the_eel

Juniors
But for what its worth I believe that everyone deserves a second chance so if Mitch Sargent wants to come back home to the Blue & Gold, i'd be more than happy to see him here.

The Colonel

Immortal
fish eel said:
Given the off field indiscretions of some of our players this year, I think it would be a pretty poor call to sign this bloke.

Because of what he did or what our players did or because you think a few of our boys are easily lead?

Hellsy

Immortal
Our boys have cleaned themselves up this year, and alcohol and hard drugs like cocaine are 2 completely different things

Hellsy

Immortal
Red and Blue Knight said:
http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/absolutenm/templates/mediareleases.asp?articleid=960&zoneid=1
The Knights have signed him

Stagger eel

Staff member
i heard an interview with Ken Conway this morning and it was revealed that he didn't know of the requirement needed to sign Seargent, which was rehabilitation and continued testing, also, if my memory serves me correct Newcastle are the only club that have not revealed their drug policy..I fond this very interesting in many levels.

Hellsy

Immortal
Yes.... me too.... still I think it is good he has been picked up and will be helped through this time in his life.
The contract sounds pretty secure, if he f**ks up he is out

fish eel

Immortal
Also, considering what Newcastle did to Tilse last year, talk about double standards.

fish eel

Immortal
Mitchell can consider himself very, very lucky the way this has panned out and that he is able to play next year.

The Colonel

Immortal
fish eel said:
Also, considering what Newcastle did to Tilse last year, talk about double standards.

Very hypocritical of the Knights..... I noticed Harragon didn't know what to say when Fatty brought it up on TFS last night. Bloody useless gimp....

The Colonel

Immortal
fish eel said:
Mitchell can consider himself very, very lucky the way this has panned out and that he is able to play next year.

Not too many blokes can be sacked for cocaine use and walk into a better deal then the one they had previously. Regardless of the conditions that he has to adhere too he is the winner in all of this....

fish eel

Immortal
The Colonel said:
Not too many blokes can be sacked for cocaine use and walk into a better deal then the one they had previously. Regardless of the conditions that he has to adhere too he is the winner in all of this....

The other thing is....in differing circumstances, he would have been rubbed out for a couple of years.

The Colonel

Immortal
fish eel said:
The other thing is....in differing circumstances, he would have been rubbed out for a couple of years.

The NRL definitely need to streamline the drug testing policy I think. Some clubs have a three strikes and you're out policy while others have a no tolerance policy with in house testing. Not sure what ours is but I would hope is a no tolerance approach.

fish eel

Immortal
The Colonel said:
The NRL definitely need to streamline the drug testing policy I think. Some clubs have a three strikes and you're out policy while others have a no tolerance policy with in house testing. Not sure what ours is but I would hope is a no tolerance approach.

Anything less than zero tolerance for what involves taking something that is illegal, is, imo, just not good enough.

I saw a story a few weeks back thatwent through each club, and what their policy was. Can't remember ours, but a couple of clubs refused to comment, a couple of others had a case by case policy.

I'm just pleased that Sargent wont be pulling on blue and gold next year.

fish eel

Immortal
Hellsy said:
No club could fully free of rec drug taking....

That's bullsh!t.

If it is going on in any club, then that is a sad reflection on the type of person those clubs are signing.

Anyone who takes drugs is a moron. I dont care who they are.

A professional sportsman who does so is an even bigger moron, and not worthy of being called a professional sportsman.

Hellsy

Immortal
Take it from me.... it happens all the time. I have seen it.

I will obviously never name names but it happens