What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More bad RLWC press coming...

Misanthrope

Staff member
The clown had his mates bagging out Vossy's sublime commentary, too - how deep does his insecurity run! Old prick should piss off to commentate swimming or netball or whichever sport he actually gives a f**k about.

His insecurity is probably justified. Vossy doesn't have the distinctive voice that Rabs does, but he knows more about the game than Rabs ever has and is far more eloquent. Rabs talks like the creepy old guy drunk three stools down at the RSL.

More than that, though, the voice of your sport should be an exponent of the game and its #1 fan. Rabs rubbishes things that he dislikes or doesn't understand like he's above the game, when the game left him behind years ago.

flamin

Juniors
At the end of the day though, besides the DT and Rabs, the media I've heard and read has been largely positive for through this tournament and hopefully will prove to be turning point for the perception of the international game.

Bronco Rob

Juniors
Just heard James Hopper on back page harping on about 8 weeks being to long and how they should cut it to four weeks. Don't these guys have a calander. Isn't it only .5 weeks?

Yes I saw that show last night as well and comments from so-called expert James Hooper who can't even get the facts right about how long the tournament is. Also that other panelist Julian Schiller who is an AFL supporter had a scripted piece also taking pot shots at the RLWC, how's the AFL World Cup coming along Julian? He offers nothing to the show apart from loosley termed comedic quips which are mostly scripted anyway.

taste2taste

Juniors
Who cares what Phil and rabs say, if these dinosaurs had their way we'd be playing a comp entirely made up of Sydney clubs, with a 5m rule, the major sponsor would be a cigarette company, and the GF played sunday arvo at the SCG!!Wayne Bennett said it best, its not about this world cup or the next...its about where the game wants to be in in 40 years.Bring on the 2053 Worl Cup Final!!! USA V Germany at Metlife Stadium :D

Misanthrope

Staff member
Yes I saw that show last night as well and comments from so-called expert James Hooper who can't even get the facts right about how long the tournament is. Also that other panelist Julian Schiller who is an AFL supporter had a scripted piece also taking pot shots at the RLWC, how's the AFL World Cup coming along Julian? He offers nothing to the show apart from loosley termed comedic quips which are mostly scripted anyway.

AFL, to their credit, know full well that they could never host a World Cup. Although their persistence with their 'international' against Ireland is a laugh.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
When Wayne Bennett was reappointed as Australia coach back in 2004, he wanted to bring in more internationals, like the Tri nations/4 nations and taking a game to the US.

This was great for the game. I knew he had a vision back then to play more internationals and help the other countries.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
It shouldn't be understated what Bennett has done for the international game, in coaching NZ to 2008 victory and continually defending it. I wonder if it wouldn't be out of the question for the RLIF to hire Bennett and send him to several of the more developped nations to coach coaches.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
It shouldn't be understated what Bennett has done for the international game, in coaching NZ to 2008 victory and continually defending it. I wonder if it wouldn't be out of the question for the RLIF to hire Bennett and send him to several of the more developped nations to coach coaches.

I'd be very surprised if he would do that considering his personal life. Leaving Australia on long trips is really not on his agenda.

I think he can do more work here in Australia and be more productive at it. But really, I think he'll retire after his Knights contract or head back to Brisbane if the price is right.

Patorick

Staff member
The true scholar of rugby league, Steve Mascord, returns serve on Scum Rothfield in measured, comprehensive fashion

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ue-super-power-be-created-20131120-2xtxo.html
Those in Australia saying the World Cup is a waste of time come from an age of populist culture where there was more or less one set of interests and pursuits in given geographical areas and this was perpetuated and promoted by the traditional media - which is now dying - driven by a profit motive.
That is old thinking. You might as well carry around a pager and send faxes.
We increasingly live in a niche era where all the world's sports, movies, music and theatre is available to us and where we live (and what sports are popular there) are becoming irrelevant.

I lost all respect for Mascord after he blubbed because the commission would not rule on whether barba smacked the missus. "What about that photo" whinned the tosser.

Brutus

Referee
I lost all respect for Mascord after he blubbed because the commission would not rule on whether barba smacked the missus. "What about that photo" whinned the tosser.

Yeah he lost me for a bit with his constant whinging about player access and the Barba thing, but I think he learn't his lesson from that.

Just do what you do best Steve.

DarceyLawler

Juniors
That whole thing was weird. If the police had dropped it did Mascord really expect some club official to just say - "yes he's a wifebeater, here's a pic of her injured" . I wouldn't do that to any one of my colleagues because, frankly, if the police had looked at it, it would no longer be any of my business.

morningstar

Juniors
Nigel Wiskar, editor of the Mirror newspaper in the UK returns serve in his blog...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/petero-piles-in-bosc-panto-2825128

1) SO, whose word are we going to take on whether this World Cup has been a success or failure?

The bloke acknowledged as the greatest coach of all time and the man who helped New Zealand win it last time around.

Or a bloke on his sofa in Sydney whose Twitter profile has 'no dickhead policy' beneath him. In capital letters so you understand it.

In the one corner is former Kangaroos supremo Wayne Bennett (more from him later) and in the other Phil 'Buzz' Rothfield, executive sports editor at Sydney's Daily Telegraph and Sunday Telegraph.

Rothfield has narked many this week in a column which said the World Cup is 'rubbish' and a 'debacle' with 'meaningless floggings'.

His solution is to have the competition played over three weeks including only Australia, New Zealand, England and one qualifying team.

All this load of old cobblers would be fine if Rothfield was over here taking it in. He's not.

Because once you go to a game at this World Cup, any cynicism quickly evaporates.

The best bits of the competition so far have not involved any of the big three.

Watching USA star Joseph Paulo beaming with delight with tiny groups of fans long after the final whistle after victory over Wales.

Seeing a Samoan beast weeping on an exercise bike pitchside as he realised his team were on the way out.

Being up close as Sonny Bill Williams greeted supporters, a messiah meeting his masses.

You have to be there.

New fans have turned up in Bristol and in Ireland. More will see rugby league live for the first time at Wembley tomorrow - 120 of them from my own club Sussex Merlins in Brighton.

Should we just kill all this as some bloke in Sydney perpetuates the blinkered approach to the international game fostered by many Down Under? Of course not.

Rothfield appears to be a fan of football in Sydney (or soccer as they curiously call it) where Allesandro del Pierro is the top draw. Allesandro del Pierro is 39.

Well let's limit that round ball World Cup to just the top four as realistically anyone outside of that can't win it.

In fact let's limit it to just the top 56 teams in the world.

That means Australia won't compete as they are 57th in the latest FIFA rankings. Why bother, Socceroos?

Not long after Rothfield had his say, Bennett chipped in with his thoughts.

"One of the reasons I took on the New Zealand job was because everyone was talking down the World Cup and in my opinion this one has been better," he said.

"It is not a waste of time for the people of Fiji and everyone else who benefitted out of this. The United States. France. Italy. And that's what the World Cup is about, it is a bit bigger than the NRL, and we need to realise that.

"Everyone that was complaining about the 5000 people who turned up for Australia's game against Ireland should realise that crowd was the biggest rugby league crowd ever in Ireland.

"Biggest ever. That's a good thing for the game."

There's plenty more good stuff here and Bennett finishes by asking: "Why do we always have to bag ourselves?"

I have a suggestion to Phil Rothfield next time he wants to talk down the concept of a World Cup.

Take your views to Papua New Guinea, Phil. Stand on a soapbox in Port Moresby or Goroka and tell the locals we don't want PNG involved in any meaningful, international competition.

If there's anything left of you, I'll take you to a World Cup game one day and buy you a pint.

I got off my arse five years ago to watch the last World Cup for a whirlwind 10 days Down Under as a fan, cramming in as many games as possible.

You should try it next time around, Phil.

2) PETERO Civoniceva understands the importance of the competition too. The Fijian colossus said this week: "People are waking up early and kids aren't going to school because they want to watch the Bati play. It is amazing, we are on the cusp of taking rugby league in Fiji to another level. I know this tournament in some circles has been criticised because of lopsided scores but I wish the people writing those stories would go to Fiji and ask people there what the World Cup means to them. They would get a totally different perspective on what this competition has done for the game and what it will do in terms of the game's growth in Fiji." Another giant of the game urinating over Phil Rothfield there then. From a great height too. Said hello at a do last night (see number 11) but he didn't fancy a shirt swap.

Son of Minto

Bench
Nigel Wiskar, editor of the Mirror newspaper in the UK returns serve in his blog...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/petero-piles-in-bosc-panto-2825128

1) SO, whose word are we going to take on whether this World Cup has been a success or failure?

The bloke acknowledged as the greatest coach of all time and the man who helped New Zealand win it last time around.

Or a bloke on his sofa in Sydney whose Twitter profile has 'no dickhead policy' beneath him. In capital letters so you understand it.

In the one corner is former Kangaroos supremo Wayne Bennett (more from him later) and in the other Phil 'Buzz' Rothfield, executive sports editor at Sydney's Daily Telegraph and Sunday Telegraph.

Rothfield has narked many this week in a column which said the World Cup is 'rubbish' and a 'debacle' with 'meaningless floggings'.

His solution is to have the competition played over three weeks including only Australia, New Zealand, England and one qualifying team.

All this load of old cobblers would be fine if Rothfield was over here taking it in. He's not.

Because once you go to a game at this World Cup, any cynicism quickly evaporates.

The best bits of the competition so far have not involved any of the big three.

Watching USA star Joseph Paulo beaming with delight with tiny groups of fans long after the final whistle after victory over Wales.

Seeing a Samoan beast weeping on an exercise bike pitchside as he realised his team were on the way out.

Being up close as Sonny Bill Williams greeted supporters, a messiah meeting his masses.

You have to be there.

New fans have turned up in Bristol and in Ireland. More will see rugby league live for the first time at Wembley tomorrow - 120 of them from my own club Sussex Merlins in Brighton.

Should we just kill all this as some bloke in Sydney perpetuates the blinkered approach to the international game fostered by many Down Under? Of course not.

Rothfield appears to be a fan of football in Sydney (or soccer as they curiously call it) where Allesandro del Pierro is the top draw. Allesandro del Pierro is 39.

Well let's limit that round ball World Cup to just the top four as realistically anyone outside of that can't win it.

In fact let's limit it to just the top 56 teams in the world.

That means Australia won't compete as they are 57th in the latest FIFA rankings. Why bother, Socceroos?

Not long after Rothfield had his say, Bennett chipped in with his thoughts.

"One of the reasons I took on the New Zealand job was because everyone was talking down the World Cup and in my opinion this one has been better," he said.

"It is not a waste of time for the people of Fiji and everyone else who benefitted out of this. The United States. France. Italy. And that's what the World Cup is about, it is a bit bigger than the NRL, and we need to realise that.

"Everyone that was complaining about the 5000 people who turned up for Australia's game against Ireland should realise that crowd was the biggest rugby league crowd ever in Ireland.

"Biggest ever. That's a good thing for the game."

There's plenty more good stuff here and Bennett finishes by asking: "Why do we always have to bag ourselves?"

I have a suggestion to Phil Rothfield next time he wants to talk down the concept of a World Cup.

Take your views to Papua New Guinea, Phil. Stand on a soapbox in Port Moresby or Goroka and tell the locals we don't want PNG involved in any meaningful, international competition.

If there's anything left of you, I'll take you to a World Cup game one day and buy you a pint.

I got off my arse five years ago to watch the last World Cup for a whirlwind 10 days Down Under as a fan, cramming in as many games as possible.

You should try it next time around, Phil.

2) PETERO Civoniceva understands the importance of the competition too. The Fijian colossus said this week: "People are waking up early and kids aren't going to school because they want to watch the Bati play. It is amazing, we are on the cusp of taking rugby league in Fiji to another level. I know this tournament in some circles has been criticised because of lopsided scores but I wish the people writing those stories would go to Fiji and ask people there what the World Cup means to them. They would get a totally different perspective on what this competition has done for the game and what it will do in terms of the game's growth in Fiji." Another giant of the game urinating over Phil Rothfield there then. From a great height too. Said hello at a do last night (see number 11) but he didn't fancy a shirt swap.

:clap::clap::clap:

Latest posts