What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More bad RLWC press coming...

natheel

Coach
Has anyone seen the behind the scenes footage that the world cup Facebook page is putting up? Just send those links to buzz and see what he says. It shows opposite side uniting together over a common goal and passion. Tonight I saw a video of Fiji singing after their win. I'd love for buzz to go into that room and tell those guys that this world cup is meaningless. Those guys are just happy to be there representing their heritage.

Buzz is an absolute wanker of the highest order

Springs

First Grade
If I could represent Australia, or even by English and Scottish heritage on a stage like the RLWC, it would be the proudest moment of my life even if I got beat by 100 or played against Norway or something like that.

tmfsd

Juniors
Has anyone in the Aus media said anything bad about the wobbalies players who were out on the drink and now suspended for a week?

Paullyboy

Coach
I'm not in Australia at the moment, but if it's anything like normal, no one would care and hence it wouldn't be worthy of news.

Everyone complains about the bad publicity we get, and it is annoying when compared to the AFL, but to be fair you can't complain when union stuff doesn't get reported given the fact no one gives a toss about it anywhere in the country.

Evil Homer

Staff member
95k9.jpg

Someone send this to the clown in the OP.

Has anyone in the Aus media said anything bad about the wobbalies players who were out on the drink and now suspended for a week?

err... yes they have, and you will probably find the general discussion will be along the lines of mackenzie doing what sheens failed to do after the slater incident. So another PR loss for league.

Seems that a few people on here have confused Mike Coleman with Mike Carlton. Mike Carlton is the guy who predicted the death of rugby league.

I think Mike Coleman has ghost written quite a few RL autobiographies and RL books.

Yeah, but nah.

NZ or England don't need Aussie to throw the tournament. Just keep being cocky and over confident, that'll do the trick nicely.

oh come on, who's getting cocky? From what I've read on the various websites and forums, it seems to be mostly cocky Kiwis. Few ockers seem to be indulging. I wonder if the Aus players need to keep reminding themselves that they are the most dominant team in the history of the world, as a certain other team do? I would be surprised if they do, because in the end, if being the best in the world only means that you beat the kiwis, then it's not really much to skite about.

Which is the point. For kiwis, beating Aus is like beating the world. When an Ozzie looks around they see the rest of the world, kiwis only see Aus. That is why the Aus national league team is always on a hiding to nothing. If they win, it is expected. If they lose, it is an embarrassment, especially if they get beat by lowly kiwis. In NZ yawnion is the national game. The Kiwi identity hinges on how well the national team do. In Oz, origin is more important than the international game. State rivalries outweigh any international rivalry. Even the rather one-sided NZ-Aus rivalry that kiwis imagine exists. The Oz national identity does not depend on the success of the national league team. In fact I've seen many ozzies who are supporting the kiwis. You'd never find an AB supporter backing the wallabies. Would be totally unheard of. While the Oz media are very favourable and talk up the kiwis, in NZ the yawnion media are always putting the boot into Aus yawnion, even though the ABs have been the dominant team for many years.

Canard

Immortal
The media ignores all the South Africans playing for England cricket, or at least doesn't claim it to be a farce.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
err... yes they have, and you will probably find the general discussion will be along the lines of mackenzie doing what sheens failed to do after the slater incident. So another PR loss for league.

ehhh....why didn't mackenzie lay off half his team before the Ireland game when the so-called bender actually took place?

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Mike Coleman is right, these minnows getting flogged isnt neccessary a bad thing.

If the minnows continue to play the big 3 teams the margain would probably be less each time. It would help them,.

He refers to Rugby when Italy and Japan used to get smoked by 100 points, I seem to recall England thrashing Italy 100-0 and also New Zealand beating Japan by 145 points.

They continued to play the big nations and nowadays they dont get smashed.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Got a newfound respect for Hayne after that. Good on a player of his profile for standing up for the World Cup and doing his bit to give Fijian RL a wrap. It's a shame he couldn't run out for them.

Diesel

Referee
I'd like to see Cam Smith, SBW or any of the medias favourites when they come back to really stick it to Slothfield and co for having a go at the WC.

I'm sure no NRL teams have an association with NEWS Ltd except for the Broncos so there shouldn't be any harm in players putting these so called journos in their place

franklin2323

Immortal
NRL can't survive without the international game that exposure brings in sponsors that a country of 25m people can't alone.

As for the minnows Hayne is right. Exposure is the key. Some kid in Italy bored with soccer, or in Fiji sick of scrums. Or US doesn't make it in Gridion.

Need to know RL can be a viable option for them in 20 years who knows...

Canard

Immortal
Got a newfound respect for Hayne after that. Good on a player of his profile for standing up for the World Cup and doing his bit to give Fijian RL a wrap. It's a shame he couldn't run out for them.

Agreed, its good to see that sort of thing.

I just wouldn't have him on my side if it was a spelling or grammar contest however. Most of them are excusable, but "Dun"?? Really??

Misanthrope

Staff member
Agreed, its good to see that sort of thing.

I just wouldn't have him on my side if it was a spelling or grammar contest however. Most of them are excusable, but "Dun"?? Really??

And 'his' instead of 'here's'? Cringeworthy.

Latest posts