What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Morley's penalty

MEATWAD

Juniors
Ray Hadley's behaviour on the radio over this incident was disgraceful. Trial by media. I mean trial by taxi driver.

MEATWAD

Juniors
No, he abused Canavan when Canavan rang up to put this point of view across. Hadley is a completely disgrace.

And yeah, for Hadley, it's a big issue just because it's Morley, same with Warren Smith the way he went on like a pork chop about it for the rest of the game.

Danish

Referee
The hit was no worse than Beau Champion's hit on Greenshields in the Charity Shield, therefore it shoudl attract the same penalty....56 points plus Morley's carry over, should not be suspended for more than two weeks.

........but of course that won't happen cos it's Morley.

Earl

Coach
Give Morley 10 weeks.

And ban all the roosters fans from LU.

Seems fair to me.

MEATWAD

Juniors
Apparently the caller to Hadley was not really Canavan but a hoax. So I guess I was wrong about Hadley. Still I can't stand the bloke.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Beau Champion was put on report in the Charity Shield for a shoulder charge to the head, therefore so should Morely.

To be honest, I don't think it was that bad, he just went in for a big hit which accidently hit his head.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Nothing in it. Unfortunate collisions happen all the time in Rugby League. He shouldnt get suspended.

Oh and just on this rule that states any contact with the head is illegal...what happens if two players have a head clash? Will they both be suspended????

ed bbay

Juniors
me & wife were watching & to be honest did nt have a problem with it he did nt just connect with his head his shoulder made contact with his body as well . walker was nt standing straight up either he was leaning forward . dont forget this is rugby league if we go off what some have said before this we will be playing this game on a netball court in 10 years . even my wife was asking what the problem was . morley is a good player dont hate him because his a pom . & by the way i follow the raiders .

Carlito

Juniors
paulp said:
Penalty count ?

I'm not sure mate, I can't seem to work out the new scoreboard on nrl.com but it seemed to me that especially in the first half we were very hard done by.

Prodigiousman

Juniors
MORLEY

Anyone with a copy of Friday Night's clash between Benji Marshall and Reece Simmonds have a look where Simmond's shoulder hits Marshall...

On super slow mo the top of Simmond's shoulder collects Marshall on the chin and the side of his head impacts on Marshall's cheekbone.

Now with the Morley hit...

Now I'll go on the record now - Morley did not intend to knock Walker out. It was one of those plays where the playmaker drifts wide into the defence trying to pick out a gap runner and Morley as Walker's designated defender slides with him. Walker held the ball longer than he should of to expect not to be tackled at all and as a result ran into Morley's sliding shoulder. There was never any intent on Morley's part to wallop Walker in the melon, but yes there was clear and indisputable contact with the head from Morley's shoulder.

Go out next weekend in your game (if you play league/union) and carry the ball on the angle towards the outside of your defender, hold onto it too long, see if you run into the bloke and see if the momentum you and the defender are carrying doesn't result in a significant body clash.

The difference here is Walker almost bends into line with Morley's shoulder and as Morley realises Walker still has the ball he shifts some of his weight back towards the way he was coming from.

Now go back to Marshall and Simmonds.

Hodgson takes the ball on the left edge into half a gap and draws the inside defender leaving Marshall and Simmonds marking up only metres apart. Simmonds rushes in and tries to smash Marshall who gets a somewhat hospital pass from Hodgson.

Simmonds does not launch himself Martin Masella style like the Tongan Torpedo used to but he jumps up and in towards Marshall to wrap the ball up and put a big hit on Marshall to stop the play. His shoulder connects with Marshall's chin (so his HEAD) and his own head connects with Marshall's cheekbone.

Now if the issue here is intent then I believe Morley should be exonerated.

If the issue is simply significant contact with the head of the attacker by the shoulder of the defender - then why was Reece Simmonds praised for his intentional ball and all tackle on Marshall and Morley is categorised yet again (although his history has had bad tackles - you can't deny that) as the villain with the intent to only slide and contain Walker rather than run up and level him.

Put me on the NRL judiciary and I let Morley off. But this is the NRL judiciary we're talking about so...

6-8 weeks at least.
Pretty ordinary hit, should have been sent off can't believe they didn't have a look at before awarding the try that single handedly changed the game if Morley had have been sent off souths would have won without a shadow of a doubt!

DJ1

Juniors
You should not cop anything for a shoulder charge. I can understand if it's a swinging arm, high tackle or elbow no problem.

A defender attempting to tackle via a shoulder charge is actually an advantage for the attacker if he is able to sidestep as the defensive zone is actually smaller than a defender attempting to halt progress with arms out ready to grab the attacker.

This is Rugby League not ballet.

Where do we draw the line here? What if a player is falling in a tackle and his head makes contact with another players hip? Is that a suspension?

No suspension!

DJ1

Juniors
You should not cop anything for a shoulder charge. I can understand if it's a swinging arm, high tackle or elbow no problem.

A defender attempting to tackle via a shoulder charge is actually an advantage for the attacker if he is able to sidestep as the defensive zone is actually smaller than a defender attempting to halt progress with arms out ready to grab the attacker.

This is Rugby League not ballet.

Where do we draw the line here? What if a player is falling in a tackle and his head makes contact with another players hip? Is that a suspension?

No suspension!

Mr Saab

Referee
i have no problem with the morley hit.
But...in reality i will see him play in round 5-6

DJ1

Juniors
MEATWAD said:
I've been experiencing painful slowness for about two hours now.

You should see the Doc. A simple course of antibiotics will clear it right up.

LRC

I thought it was case of Walker falling into Morleys shoulder as he was passing the ball... the ball carrier has totake some responsibility.