What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Morley's penalty

garfunkel

Juniors
Bumble said:
That decision played a big part, but only turned the game by 12 points...we lost by 18.

We didn't deserve to win on that 2nd half performance.

Bumble, when you are playing 35 minutes of the second half with a 1 man interchange bench in 30 degree heat and without a halfback, they had no chance of winning against even the Newtown Jets but at least put up a fight.

Nelson concussed after 2 minutes left us with 12 men and let in the first try of the second half, Walker concussed left us with 12 men and let in the second try. And then Flannery knock on which lead to another try plus Geddes probably out for the season with a torn pec muscle just makes the point that luck was not with us in the second half. :(

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
It was either medium grade careless or low grade reckless, probably worth around 3 weeks normally. But Morley's record will sere that penalty at least doubled, I'd say he's gone for at least 6 weeks.

aquila

Juniors
Maybe they should have different classes, like they do with boxing but to make it height classes, so that someone who is short won't run into someone's shoulder with their head even if the bigger guy is bending over and vice-versa.
Maybe Americans are smarter than us, they wear helmets.
But they could also look at the Union rule that you can't go in with your shoulder like that, if the league had a rule such as that, then he should get a long sentence, but they don't.
I really don't think Morley should have to take the full responsibility, for me not being emotionally involved in the game, it seemed to be an accident.
The whole problem is Rugby league is a contact sport, with little guys playing against big guys, and both have advantages, and neither one likes the other to have an advantage over the other.

garfunkel said:
Bumble, when you are playing 35 minutes of the second half with a 1 man interchange bench in 30 degree heat and without a halfback, they had no chance of winning against even the Newtown Jets but at least put up a fight.

Nelson concussed after 2 minutes left us with 12 men and let in the first try of the second half, Walker concussed left us with 12 men and let in the second try. And then Flannery knock on which lead to another try plus Geddes probably out for the season with a torn pec muscle just makes the point that luck was not with us in the second half. :(

Flannery didn;t play at the ball so there was no knock on - read the rule's or take your red and green glasses off. You were run off your feet -heggarty your fastest player was left for dead by roberts in that long range try -an example of the speed to burn the 2006 Roosters have

Sir Knight82 said:
I'd love to see him go for weeks, its the weakest Roosters forward pack in years and this will f**k em even more. I love it.

weakest in year's - interesting - the most mobile pack in the comp and players that really put in - they said the Roosters couldn;t win the comp with cusack and cayless as props - how wrong where they and this came from so called experts such as roach.

big year for the pride of bondi i predict

Alba

Coach
im not saying we would have won the game if the appropriate action was taken at the time of the incident and the penalty given to us instead of the roosters running away to score but ffs anyone who is saying it was nothing, id love to see what u would say if it were ur team that got cheated .. not to mention that bullsh*t try when the stupid ref called play on when Flannery clearly knocked it on .. it was ridiculous .. the ref was clearly on the roosters side yesterday and i can take a loss just not one that was handed to us by mistakes that shouldnt be made by a first grade referee ..

HoLLuS

Juniors
The Colonel said:
You think so?

His no suspension knee lift saw him get three weeks last season.

That would be the 20% loading for the non similar incident in 2005...

I'm sure Danish would be happy to go over it again for you as you were unable to pick it all up the first time.

Danish

Referee
Alba said:
im not saying we would have won the game if the appropriate action was taken at the time of the incident and the penalty given to us instead of the roosters running away to score but ffs anyone who is saying it was nothing, id love to see what u would say if it were ur team that got cheated .. not to mention that bullsh*t try when the stupid ref called play on when Flannery clearly knocked it on .. it was ridiculous .. the ref was clearly on the roosters side yesterday and i can take a loss just not one that was handed to us by mistakes that shouldnt be made by a first grade referee ..

I spose you think that your solitary win over us last year was a hollow victory too then??

P.S on Flanno, if a player is not looking at the ball, and coming in to tackle a man, he is not playing at the ball. Quite simple i thought. Even the souths fans sitting near us had no complaints. Were you also questioning why a knock on wasn't called against Walker when he stripped the ball from Morley for your first try??

Alba said:

flannery did not play at the ball so there was no knock on - wake up you bunnies fans and stop making excuses - you were run off your feet in the 2nd half - vote for relocation to the central coast too as this is your best chance of survival - ditching piggins/pappas/richardson/crowe/holmes de-court would be another good thing to do - get singleton to back your club and appoint the ceo etc

eels_fan_01

Bench
What a joke this Morley thing is.

If anyone else did it they would say it was a good tackle, if anything it was just a penalty because it went up but he shouldnt be suspened.

Alba

Coach
marshall stalin said:
flannery did not play at the ball so there was no knock on - wake up you bunnies fans and stop making excuses - you were run off your feet in the 2nd half - vote for relocation to the central coast too as this is your best chance of survival - ditching piggins/pappas/richardson/crowe/holmes de-court would be another good thing to do - get singleton to back your club and appoint the ceo etc

im not making excuses and i never said thats why we lost im just saying we need a bit of consistency with the refs and i dont mean consistently making errors as it is at present .. and imo he DID play at the ball he was looking straight at it and u cant tell me his hand "accidentally" touched it

nqboy

First Grade
I agree. He had a bit each way and conned the ref. What is unforgivable is that the video ref was conned as well.

skeepe

Immortal
Alba said:
im not saying we would have won the game if the appropriate action was taken at the time of the incident and the penalty given to us instead of the roosters running away to score but ffs anyone who is saying it was nothing, id love to see what u would say if it were ur team that got cheated ..

This sort of thing really makes me laugh when I remember back to last year, round 3, Souths vs Raiders... MacDougall takes out Withers with two elbows to the face and breaks his nose, changes momentum... yet when people suggest MacDougall should be suspended, the Rabbits fans squealed like stuck pigs at the mere suggestions, saying how it was a good hard tackle.

Ironic how different incidents can seem when they affect your team.

Alba said:
Instead of blaming the referee why don't you ponder why your team could only score 18pts in the first half. The Roosters were down for the count but your team couldn't finish it off. Another try in the 1st half would have done it.

Where was the team spirit to dig deep in the second half? Why did they capitulate so easily? Where was Sutton & Gordon? There was no fight back after the scores were leveled.

Alba

Coach
skeepe said:
This sort of thing really makes me laugh when I remember back to last year, round 3, Souths vs Raiders... MacDougall takes out Withers with two elbows to the face and breaks his nose, changes momentum... yet when people suggest MacDougall should be suspended, the Rabbits fans squealed like stuck pigs at the mere suggestions, saying how it was a good hard tackle.

Ironic how different incidents can seem when they affect your team.

actually i was one of the ones that was seeing it with both eyes so dont generalise, every time someone in your team does something wrong u immediately try and think of excuses for them .. well most of the time .. u can only do that for so long .. i call em how i see em .. and Morley nearly took Walker's head off .. it wasnt the worst ive seen but its heartbreaking for us to see that lead to an injury to one of our best players..

lazza

Juniors
His hand was there before the ball was passed, imo, it was the passers fault for passing it into his hand. He wasnt even looking at the ball when it was thrown.

m0j0

Bench
eels_fan_01 said:
What a joke this Morley thing is.

If anyone else did it they would say it was a good tackle, if anything it was just a penalty because it went up but he shouldnt be suspened.
This may have been posted somewhere else, but I haven't seen it yet. Seems like some (or at least one) of the players agree with your sentiments. Maybe Willie is anticipating a similar incident involving SBW at some stage this season (should he get on the paddock):

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,18492840-23214,00.html

Time to tackle inconsistency
By Willie Mason
March 17, 2006

I AM pretty good mates with a few of the Sydney Roosters boys and through that friendship I've got to know Adrian Morley.

Moz is a nice bloke who plays the game hard.
As a result, he has found himself in trouble with the judiciary over the years. This time, however, I think he's been singled out over his tackle on Ben Walker. I thought it was a good hit.
No-one has a perfect tackling technique and no-one goes out there with the intent to hit other players with high shots. It's just that Morley has a different technique and he's used to tackling guys his own size.
If the tackle had been on me, it would have been a good hit. Bigger man on bigger man, on a front-rower such as Jason Ryles for example, it would have been okay.
That's the sort of target he normally aims for. It was just unlucky. Walker's shorter, the same height as Morley's shoulder. That's the problem with the change to the rule making shoulder contact with the head illegal.
If some bloke is running at you and slips, and you have already set yourself and hit him, what happens then? You cannot penalise the bloke for the tackle. It's the way it goes, it's a physical game. You cannot just keep pulling up little things like that otherwise you might as well play Oztag.
I certainly don't think Morley should have been suspended and this time the NRL may have gone too far. They have done the same with the grapple tackle.
I have been grappled before - most of the boys in the competition have, and they hate it. There's no doubt it should be banned. All we want is consistency.

Reni Maitua made a good hit on Steve Price in the pre-season when he made contact with him around the chest. A bloke was also around Pricey's legs and flipped him back. The referee penalised Maitua for going too high. I got penalised against Penrith when I just touched Craig Gower's head with my hand. Then you see one of our blokes getting grappled on the ground and they don't do anything about it. I know they are trying to police it, but it's a fine line.
If you make good contact and then you go for a second effort and attack the head, you should be penalised.
But if guys are going out there and there is slight contact around the chest or throat, I think that's fine as long as you're not head-slamming and trying to choke.
At the Bulldogs we do a fair bit of wrestling, practising techniques on the ground. While you cannot attack the head, you can work on little techniques with the arms and legs to win the play the ball. It's a fine line and they need to get it right so by the end of the year they're not pulling up penalties here, there and everywhere.
Tonight we face the premiers and it is a game we are looking forward to. They throw a lot at you, so you have to be on your toes.
Being a defending premier is something we had to go through last year. Although I did not play the first 18 games because of injury, I can tell you it is pretty hard. Every team lifts when they play you. They want to knock you off. It can be a good thing to have that target on your back because you have to be ready every week.
The Tigers have lost Benji Marshall and he's someone they will miss. He is such an exciting player and he creates a lot for them. But I'm sure they will adapt and probably lift.
Our five-eighth, Daniel Holdsworth, has looked pretty impressive. Most five-eighths are pretty cocky and he's got that aura about him.
He's got a great kicking game, he's strong defensively and he can throw a great ball both ways - he's got all the attributes of a really good five-eighth.
All he needs is good runners off him and people hitting holes, so hopefully the team can give him options. I've got big raps on him. You will be hearing plenty about him by the end of the year.

The Australian