What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Morris VS Slater

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Interesting stats. Morris definately has shown huge potential but it has only been 2 games.

I would love to see Slater v Bowen stats. I still prefer Bowen than the cat Slater any day. Bowen is also in great form. Slater is a great player but a huge cat and dirty. Don't know many of the great fullbacks being dirty. Slater will definately go down as one of the dirtiest fullbacks in the NRL. No other fullbacks scoop a low as attacking players diving over the line with their feet. They could but they choose not too.

TheRev

Coach
Thats the truth, Slater is a dirty little player, he just demands repsect anyway because he is so damn talented..

But Bowen is an outstanding talent too, not in the same category but would be up there for 2nd best fullback, maybe Boyd/Dugen/Hayne/Mini his only competition. But Bowen does it in a Cowboys side that granted does have Thursten, but life is a lot easier in the Storm where your side is consistently winning and rolling forward.

TheRev

Coach
Dont think many would argue that Slater is the best of all time, the reason its being mentioned a lot lately is because the after bagging 8 tries in the last 4 matches, the media is starting to refer to him that also.

There is nobody in my 34 years in the same league, sure lots of awesome fullbacks, but noone with that speed and freaking abilities.

big pat

Coach
Morris is playing well. And his Stats are good.

But please never compare the 2 again. It's just a little silly.

Slater is the greatest fullback of all time. You do know that right?

you would have no f**king idea how good other fullbacks, you just blow smoke out of your arse, you're a bigger myth than the melbourne storm.

big pat

Coach
Dont think many would argue that Slater is the best of all time, the reason its being mentioned a lot lately is because the after bagging 8 tries in the last 4 matches, the media is starting to refer to him that also.

There is nobody in my 34 years in the same league, sure lots of awesome fullbacks, but noone with that speed and freaking abilities.

i would, i've seen some pretty damn good fullbacks, if people want to wank themselves over slater fine, but you won't get an agreement out of me, and as others have stated its very hard to compare players from today, against greats of yesteryear.

Minh

First Grade
Belcher was great, Mullens was great the best in my opinion was a young Darren Lockyer.

Breathingfire

Juniors

I'm with Big Pat. And that is my point in the first place...its subjective so no one is wrong to have an opinion. However, making an objective statement like Choc did is wrong.

Breathingfire

Juniors
I dunno, honestly you 2 are the first ive ever seen disagree.

There is a whole Slater vs Langlands thread over in Jubilee ave and quite a few rated Langlands over Slater so I don't think we are the only two that disagree. I never saw Langlands play but my point is that the whole argument is subjective. Its one mans opinion over another. Until you can prove factually that Slater is the best then you cannot lambast someone for thinking otherwise. I am not saying you are, but Choc certainly was.

DragonBuck

Juniors
There is a whole Slater vs Langlands thread over in Jubilee ave and quite a few rated Langlands over Slater so I don't think we are the only two that disagree. I never saw Langlands play but my point is that the whole argument is subjective. Its one mans opinion over another. Until you can prove factually that Slater is the best then you cannot lambast someone for thinking otherwise. I am not saying you are, but Choc certainly was.

You have to compare apples to apples as well. It's pointless using stats to try to determine as the game has hanged so much in the time between the two played. You have to try and compare them to the calibre of players they played against. Then you can gauge their impact at that time, although as you stated it becomes fairly subjective. I guess you could probably compare each's stats to other FB of their era but that would be a lot of bloody work if even plausible due to the lack of statistical data available from around Langland's era.

Minh

First Grade
Slater pros and cons:

Pros: Very fast acceleration, great support player, excellent defender, very instinctive, decent passing game, a great footy brain.

Cons: Suspect under the high ball now this I think is his biggest fault can really drop a ball in the contest because he really goes after it. Passing game is not as good as Lockyer at fullback. Lack of a kicking game again opposed to Lockyer/ Bowen. He is a known niggler and dirty player.

Conclusion: I would have to say that in my opinion had Lockyer stayed at fullback and finished his career there I would certainly have him above Slater. People tend to forget that Lockyer was a great great fullback. I never saw Langlands play so I cannot judge that.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
My subjective opinion (we're all entitled to one) is that Slater is the most gifted all round player I have seen play the game (watching since '76) - he does amazing things no one else comes close to doing, week in and week out.
Morris has been a bit of a revelation over past 2 weeks and god bless him for that. Keep it up Moz, love your work!

Dragon_psa

First Grade
My fondest memory of Slater is when he won the World Cup for the Kiwis in 2008.

I lol'ed

Best fullback I've seen imho (watching League since 1985) was Tim Brasher. Especially when he put on a Blues jersey. He turned into farkin Superman. Mullins I thought was great too.