What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moses Mbye

Crush

Coach
Whilst Mbye wasn't my first choice, I can understand the thinking behind it.

Firstly, Mbye won't be coming here to take any of our juniors spots next year. He'll be used as that 'triangle' player who can cover a multitude of positions across the backline, but will mostly be used as Maccas hooking partner. It think it's plainly obvious Macca cannot see out even close to 60 mins now, so a reliable defender (currently at 91.8% for this year) and can be used as a goal kicker if needed.

Secondly, I don't think Mbye is happy at the Tigers, and when your not happy your form suffers (I will use Saab as an example). He's only 27, so a lot of football in front of him still.

Signing him to a 1yr contract, using the Tigers cash (well a lot of it) is good economic sense. Even at 400k with the Tigers chipping in 400k themselves is a good deal. So, perform and earn a further extension after 2022 and at our rate.

Thirdly, he's another 'culture' signing. A leader, who will greatly assist our up-and-coming juniors. He's a former junior Kangaroo, and other representative player, including SOO. He's also captained the Tigers.

Again, not my first choice, but can see the logic.
The way you sell it it sounds fine.
The problem will be that it won’t be a one year deal, it’ll be two or three and he’ll probably just be a straight swap for Norman and play 6.

Como Connection

First Grade
Whilst Mbye wasn't my first choice, I can understand the thinking behind it.

Firstly, Mbye won't be coming here to take any of our juniors spots next year. He'll be used as that 'triangle' player who can cover a multitude of positions across the backline, but will mostly be used as Maccas hooking partner. It think it's plainly obvious Macca cannot see out even close to 60 mins now, so a reliable defender (currently at 91.8% for this year) and can be used as a goal kicker if needed.

Secondly, I don't think Mbye is happy at the Tigers, and when your not happy your form suffers (I will use Saab as an example). He's only 27, so a lot of football in front of him still.

Signing him to a 1yr contract, using the Tigers cash (well a lot of it) is good economic sense. Even at 400k with the Tigers chipping in 400k themselves is a good deal. So, perform and earn a further extension after 2022 and at our rate.

Thirdly, he's another 'culture' signing. A leader, who will greatly assist our up-and-coming juniors. He's a former junior Kangaroo, and other representative player, including SOO. He's also captained the Tigers.

Again, not my first choice, but can see the logic.
Finally someone making sense, well done.
CC

BLM01

First Grade
Penrith 2016 NYC
Dylan Edwards 71/71
Christian Crighton 20/33
Braidon Burns 0/35
Wade Egan 29/63
Oliver Clark 0/16
Kade Ellis 8/23
Corey Waddell 0/53
Tyrone May 52/52
Liam Martin 54/54
Caleb Aekins 12/19
Mitch Kenny 31/31
Billy Burns 12/22
Robert Jennings 8/65

287/537 1st grade appearances for Penrith.

Dragons 2016 NYC
Matt Dufty 80/80
Patrick Herbert 0/35
Jai Field 11/17
Reece Robson 9/41
Blake Lawrie 75/75
Luciano Leilua 43/78

218/326 1st grade appearances for Dragons, of which 123 were into 2 players who we've let go.
Only one of these players will be here in 2022.
The damage was done to our NYC 2016 before Hook got here
No proper pathways, development or academy which Penrith had established
We only pulled our finger out starting this year which Hook is involved in and was at both clubs
We let Dufty go for good reasons as exciting as he is to watch on his feet
The others were let go by Mary
Hook is not doing the same but needs time to right many wrongs and the club a few years to properly develop these kids

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
This club is absolutely becoming a joke what is there obsession with signing players past there used by date or with very limited ability, Moses mybye struggles to make first grade at the tigers must say something, on the other hand it opens the door for another junior to showcase his talents else where because the morons have a preference for has beens , Jason Saab never looked first grade material during his time under that rabble organisation now with the right coach he sure looks like a Saab same wen bud Sullivan and these young guys leave they wil develop there talents else where while we continue to look for players on the verge of retirement and unwanted for a cheap price and a quick fix
Becoming a joke? We’ve been a joke ever since Bennett left. How any team would want to sign Beale and Mbye is beyond me

Inisai Toga

Juniors
The damage was done to our NYC 2016 before Hook got here
No proper pathways, development or academy which Penrith had established
We only pulled our finger out starting this year which Hook is involved in and was at both clubs
We let Dufty go for good reasons as exciting as he is to watch on his feet
The others were let go by Mary
Hook is not doing the same but needs time to right many wrongs and the club a few years to properly develop these kids
Not close enough to the pathways to comment, but this is just inexcusable on so many levels. Hope Griffin can repair this moving forward and be judged fairly in both rebuilding this area of the club AND the First Grade team’s results.

Dean Ritchie said on the bsb this morning he’s coming as the second hooker to back up McCullough.
So effectively if that puffy journo is right…

To cover a 32 year-old Hooker who never set the world alight (IMO) with dodgy knees (and slow as f***) that Griffin signed for 3 seasons….

An average player to back up an even more average player. Surely can’t be…but nothing would surprise me

As suggested can only be a utility to cover multiple spots. That’s the only value I see, playing 14..

Otherwise we are only further stagnating the development of another up n comer (or a few) with limited lower grade football…

Apart from the “panic buy” of Corey Norman when Widdop left us, McGregor has the wood on Griffin in terms of player signings.

McGregor>>>

Hunt
Graham
McInnes
Ravalawa
Norman
Kerr
Vaughan
Sims

Griffin>>>

McCullough
Bird
Geale
Alvaro
McGuire
Farmersilly
Molo *
G Burgess *
Mbye *

* for season 2022

Agreed - Griffin only has one season so far. and there’s probably a number of folk under McGregor I’ve forgotten that turned out to be average.

But so far that’s a long list of averageness from Griffin… which -if we had a core of superstars then you could understand. But we don’t have any….. Hunt is great, Rav n Lomax go very well (when on the park). But we don’t have superstars…

We’ve got averageness across the park. When you have averageness, and add more averageness to it…

how on earth can we expect anything other than more averageness. This isn’t moneyball..

qld redvee

Juniors

To cover a 32 year-old Hooker who never set the world alight (IMO) with dodgy knees (and slow as f***) that Griffin signed for 3 seasons….

An average player to back up an even more average player. Surely can’t be…but nothing would surprise me

As suggested can only be a utility to cover multiple spots. That’s the only value I see, playing 14..

Otherwise we are only further stagnating the development of another up n comer (or a few) with limited lower grade football…

Apart from the “panic buy” of Corey Norman when Widdop left us, McGregor has the wood on Griffin in terms of player signings.

McGregor>>>

Hunt
Graham
McInnes
Ravalawa
Norman
Kerr
Vaughan
Sims

Griffin>>>

McCullough
Bird
Geale
Alvaro
McGuire
Farmersilly
Molo *
G Burgess *
Mbye *

* for season 2022

Agreed - Griffin only has one season so far. and there’s probably a number of folk under McGregor I’ve forgotten that turned out to be average.

But so far that’s a long list of averageness from Griffin… which -if we had a core of superstars then you could understand. But we don’t have any….. Hunt is great, Rav n Lomax go very well (when on the park). But we don’t have superstars…

We’ve got averageness across the park. When you have averageness, and add more averageness to it…

how on earth can we expect anything other than more averageness. This isn’t moneyball..
John
Heres some other players that mcgregor brought in that will make things a bit more balanced with griffin
patrick kaufusi
lachlan maranta
tim lafai
mitchell allgood
tyrone mcarthy
jeremy latimore

havili and lui that didnt perform with us but have been part of raiders squad for a couple of years
and no doubt i have missed a lot of other players that our previous coach brought in that either didnt perform OR just got worse and worse with us as the years went on
No doubt our salary cap needs fixing but with norman vaughan theres what 1.6 million so i think beale was got as he didnt cost much and Hook only came on in november so a lot of players had already been snapped up . remeber it was rumoured that welch turned us down as we hadnt announced a coach
Yes we have been average for far too long and we need better but lets give hook more than 1 year before we compare him to the last 7 years

Dragon David

First Grade

McGregor>>>

Hunt
Graham
McInnes
Ravalawa
Norman
Kerr
Vaughan
Sims

Griffin>>>

McCullough
Bird
Geale
Alvaro
McGuire
Farmersilly
Molo *
G Burgess *
Mbye *

* for season 2022

We are just an average club, run by average people, with average players and currently averaging 10th on the ladder in the past 10 years. It shows that we have been and are such an underachieving club in the ten years gone by including this year.

Our proposed signing of Mbye will add to our average status. Under Hasler at the Bulldogs he was quite good so hopefully he can recapture some of his Bulldogs form if he comes to us but as a utility.

John
Heres some other players that mcgregor brought in that will make things a bit more balanced with griffin
patrick kaufusi
lachlan maranta
tim lafai
mitchell allgood
tyrone mcarthy
jeremy latimore

havili and lui that didnt perform with us but have been part of raiders squad for a couple of years
and no doubt i have missed a lot of other players that our previous coach brought in that either didnt perform OR just got worse and worse with us as the years went on
No doubt our salary cap needs fixing but with norman vaughan theres what 1.6 million so i think beale was got as he didnt cost much and Hook only came on in november so a lot of players had already been snapped up . remeber it was rumoured that welch turned us down as we hadnt announced a coach
Yes we have been average for far too long and we need better but lets give hook more than 1 year before we compare him to the last 7 years

That might balance some of the averageness with Griffins list - but McGregor also targeted, and secured, quality players. We are not going even close to that.

Griffin indeed should have plenty of money to spend on recruitment with Norman Vaughan and Dufty gone (and I agree with all these players going).... but what on earth it is being spent on.... ??!?!?

Money spent on Buckets of beige.... that's all I see.

Both McGregor and Griffin came into coaching the Dragons when we were going dire. McGregor got the likes of Hunt, Graham, McInnes, Vaughan, Sims, Benji Marshall, even Nene McDonald... Granted Benji came back from Rugby and didn't hit the heights we wanted but still - experienced, quality players along with the average ones or "gap fillers" like your list. We legitimately made the semis in seasons after - including being 30 seconds away from making a prelim final without Gareth Widdop (if only Leeson could have held the frigging ball). Yep it all fell away from 2019, Widdop/De Belin and all sorts of misery thereafter...

Griffin is buying buckets of average. Actually, that's possibly not fair from me. OUR CLUB is buying buckets of average. "But we were in the 8" I've heard people say all season........ what a load of shite. The comp is shite,

To me the issue isn't all Anthony Griffin, nor was it all Paul McGregor. The common denominator with the last 3 seasons isn't either of these guys.

It's our board. it's our recruitment manager. It's players like Norman, Vaughan, and Dufty. Ie - there's too much self-interest at this club. And it stinks. So much that it's most likely putting off decent players joining us - instead we're getting the might-be's and has-beens...

Maybe Griffin is trying to get some big names.... but they have knocked us back. Like Welch, Hynes, Finucane etc etc... And on the flipside - since Griffin has taken over we've lost McInnes, Frizell, Saab.

Personally - I'd not have signed any of "griffins" signings..... rather spent that money all out on Brandon Smith and Christian Welch/Dale Finucane. Quality players who's won multiple comps and bring the DNA of a successful environment to our club. Build / develop the juniors around these guys.

I may be mistaken - but isnt one of the messages from Griffin when he signed was "development of juniors".... ??

Give em a run.

BIG RIG

Juniors
That might balance some of the averageness with Griffins list - but McGregor also targeted, and secured, quality players. We are not going even close to that.

Griffin indeed should have plenty of money to spend on recruitment with Norman Vaughan and Dufty gone (and I agree with all these players going).... but what on earth it is being spent on.... ??!?!?

Money spent on Buckets of beige.... that's all I see.

Both McGregor and Griffin came into coaching the Dragons when we were going dire. McGregor got the likes of Hunt, Graham, McInnes, Vaughan, Sims, Benji Marshall, even Nene McDonald... Granted Benji came back from Rugby and didn't hit the heights we wanted but still - experienced, quality players along with the average ones or "gap fillers" like your list. We legitimately made the semis in seasons after - including being 30 seconds away from making a prelim final without Gareth Widdop (if only Leeson could have held the frigging ball). Yep it all fell away from 2019, Widdop/De Belin and all sorts of misery thereafter...

Griffin is buying buckets of average. Actually, that's possibly not fair from me. OUR CLUB is buying buckets of average. "But we were in the 8" I've heard people say all season........ what a load of shite. The comp is shite,

To me the issue isn't all Anthony Griffin, nor was it all Paul McGregor. The common denominator with the last 3 seasons isn't either of these guys.

It's our board. it's our recruitment manager. It's players like Norman, Vaughan, and Dufty. Ie - there's too much self-interest at this club. And it stinks. So much that it's most likely putting off decent players joining us - instead we're getting the might-be's and has-beens...

Maybe Griffin is trying to get some big names.... but they have knocked us back. Like Welch, Hynes, Finucane etc etc... And on the flipside - since Griffin has taken over we've lost McInnes, Frizell, Saab.

Personally - I'd not have signed any of "griffins" signings..... rather spent that money all out on Brandon Smith and Christian Welch/Dale Finucane. Quality players who's won multiple comps and bring the DNA of a successful environment to our club. Build / develop the juniors around these guys.

I may be mistaken - but isnt one of the messages from Griffin when he signed was "development of juniors".... ??

Give em a run.
I’ll give this to Griffin we did have a red hot go at Finucane but he was had more reasoning to go to the Shire

From what I remember we were close to signing Christian Welch but we couldn’t tell him straight who would be the coach

And I’m pretty sure Steve Price was the one who signed Benji

But overall your spot on

dungay dragon

Juniors
This is the worst signing that I can remember. Typical bloody dragons signing, a reject from one of the worst performing teams, in fact I can’t believe he actually gets a run there. This on top of pulling Beale from park football in qld. If anyone thinks this is ok, just watch Mybe closely in his next game, he has nothing
Nope sorry Fox..Norman has been the worst signing ..

st.phil

Bench

McGregor>>>

Hunt
Graham
McInnes
Ravalawa
Norman
Kerr
Vaughan
Sims

Griffin>>>

McCullough
Bird
Geale
Alvaro
McGuire
Farmersilly
Molo *
G Burgess *
Mbye *

* for season 2022

mate you have royally cherry picked the milward / mary era

norman, korbin sims, jonus pearson, lafai, mccrone also spring to mind

mate you have royally cherry picked the milward / mary era

norman, korbin sims, jonus pearson, lafai, mccrone also spring to mind

I already had norman in there..

Big Rig also mentioned a big old list, I knew I didnt have them all.

Lafai was ok in his first few seasons with us IMO. DId he also top the tryscoring for us in 2018?

Anyway there's some pretty good beige in your names there. But McGregors list did at least have some cherries!

So far Griffin's has beige with a few half-sucked pips...

hope this changes at some point..

Latest posts