What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most over-rated player in the NRL??

D

Deleted member 10972

MSIH said:
Wrong thread, this is asking for the most overrated player in the NRL.

It used to be Fitzgibbon, but now everyone realises he is rubbish. Lance Thompson springs to mind. Has a cult following from some Manly fans, but he truly is average. Reading some Parra posts, Ben Smith is right up in the mix. Kurt Gidley is another who is very average but somehow gets some raps.

But for me, Shane Tronc gets the gong. Constantly talked up as a possibility for Origin, but he seriously is Grant Wooden in disguise.

Mate i know from plenty of your posts that your a deadset Rooster hater, but c'mon! Fitzgibbon from 2002-2004 was part of our unbeatable NSW & Australia backrow of Hindmarsh/Fitzgibbon/Kennedy. All consistently topped 100m, 30 tackles, & were dominant along the fringes, up the guts, & were allround excellent. Fitzgibbon was overrated slightly for one year, 2005, where he got into the NSW side after starting the year very very well, but finished the year poorly yet still managed to get into the Australian side on reputation. This year he started poorly, but finished in some excellent form, topping 100m & 30 tackles in something like 15 of his last 17 games. He was never overrated, he was an excellent player that got worked to the bone by Ricky Stuart (who has a habit of overusing his favourite players), & now has settled into the role of a pack mentor & leader rather than a genuine yardage man. However, all his best performaces this year was when our frontrow did their job well, so maybe thats the key to him finding his own form.

Overrated is the wrong word to describe Fitzgibbon. Tronc though, 100% agree, has about two or three good games a year, otherwise is a giant slug.

Red Bear

Referee
Mason - on top he's the best player on the field, when his team are struggling he just acts like a dick.

O' Donnel

Inglis (flame on). Don't deny his talent, and he had a pretty good season, but the way he's been talked up is rediculous. We'll see how he goes the year after his breakout season.

I personally dont rate cam smith as high as some, purely cos he rarely stands up in rep and he had a shocking GF. The best players will stand up in the big games, which is why i'd take Buderus over him any day. Had a top season tho

Jonathan Thurston - is he really that great? Where was he when FNQ was playing sh*t??? Average defender as well. This is partly a personal thing, i just hate that guy

Mal Meninga

Bench
GoTheBears said:
Jonathan Thurston - is he really that great? Where was he when FNQ was playing sh*t??? Average defender as well. This is partly a personal thing, i just hate that guy
Playing Orgin/Injured.

The guy won the Dally M's in 2005 and was the leader in 2006 before getting injured, he's doing something right.

Red Bear

Referee
Mal Meninga said:
Playing Orgin/Injured.

The guy won the Dally M's in 2005 and was the leader in 2006 before getting injured, he's doing something right.
Wasnt injured till rd 20 something tho was he?

[furrycat]

Coach
Tongue under-rated?

He is good, but he is talked up better than what he is.

Therefore, over-rated.

Same as Covell :p

Matt Orford-Great player and has skill, but he cannot win a big game if his life depended on it, he got shown up by Finch in City/Country costing him and Origin spot.

D

Deleted member 10972

100% spot on. Orford has it all, but yet when even the slightest bit of pressure comes into pla, he panics. I've rarely ever seen him come through in a tight situation. The Stewart try was just as much Stewart & a lucky bounce & Marshall's idiocy as it was Orford. He carved up the Roosters single-handedly both times he played them, but rarely at any point was he under any sort of pressure.

Eelementary

Post Whore
GoTheBears said:
Inglis (flame on). Don't deny his talent, and he had a pretty good season, but the way he's been talked up is rediculous. We'll see how he goes the year after his breakout season.

Agreed.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Ron Jeremys top 5 is

1. Alan Tongue:Yes he can tackle, show me the stats or whatever, but f**k, it's the only thing he can do. He offers nothing in attack whatsoever...and even if he made 80 tackles a game the Raiders have plenty of young forward depth coming along that will turf this guy into first division then Souths.

2. Jason Ryles:This guy i thought would end up being a great, how wrong was I?. He's played one decent game in 3 years, and for his size is an powderpuff of massive proportions.

3. Chris Flannery: I'm still shaking my head as to why this guy continues to be called into the QLD side and then delivers sweet FA at SOO level. He won't make you 40 tackles a game, he won't make 10 metres a hit-up, he won't kick a 40/20...what does he do?, he's a Daniel Wagon!!, atleast Wagon has recently learned to run the ball straight and hard.

And before Roosters fans jump on my back about his versitility?...when was the last time he was switched to 5/8 or centre and produced a MOM performance?, he might fill in a position, but he doesn't add much when he does.

4. Craig Wing: No coincidence that Wings lack of form in the past 2 years in purely the result of two factors: Brad Fittler and Too one dimensional. Wing has been figured out. I mean lets face it, we know he will just run the ball at the opposition and throw a dummy, opposition teams have caught onto this that swhy he was pissweak in the halves for the Roosters this year. He does have good athletic abilities, but for his price tag, status...he is very over-rated.

5. Matt Orford:This bloke cost an arm and a leg, unfortunately these components go missing in the big games. A handy footballer against mediocre opponents, but in big games he contributes no more then a fart in the wind. For his price tag Manly are better off signing Peter North, atleast they will gets some creativity and explosivness.

Canard

Immortal
Wow, the Cowboys have gone from the everyone's favourite second team to most hated in less than 12months.

People have mentioned more Cowboys than any other Club in Bowen, ODonnell, Tronc and Thurston.

Bowen: had a shocking 2006 no doubt, but was probably one of the top 5 players in the NRL in 2004 and 2005.

ODonnell: is the Cowboys heart and soul forward wise who really is our most valuable player (backs are good but lets face it often their impact is overated).

Tronc: Who really rates him? Its more that fact Queensland's poor depth has his name mentioned some times, because quite frankly there is little other choice

Thurston : Finished only points shy of winning the Dally M in 2006, whilst our team was sh*t with a capital S, he had probably a better year than in 2005.

Im happy to have a team called overated, but I think its more the fact that we had a little success a couple of years ago, and people have only just heard about them in the media.

Dont worry the media will be jumping off the bandwagon this year, when we finish 13th or so, so pretty soon those players will be hitting the "underated" lists again.

Dazzat

First Grade
Matt Cooper is massively overrated by NSW commentators. The guy can't step and just runs straight lines with no evasion skills whatsoever ... particularly if you compare him to Justin Hodges he's got nothing.

Willie Mason ... goes missing when the going gets tough, which is pretty much all the time in the NRL.

Gotta agree with Jason Ryles who Phil Gould once said was the best prop in the world when Shane Webke, Steve Price and Luke Bailey were playing ... what a knob.

For sheer overdosing on media hype vs ability, there is no comparision to Andrew Johns.

ocko

juniors
it used to be kimmorley by a country mile, but now not many people actually rate him.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Dazzat said:
Matt Cooper is massively overrated by NSW commentators. The guy can't step and just runs straight lines with no evasion skills whatsoever ... particularly if you compare him to Justin Hodges he's got nothing.

WTF! Cooper is finely rated becuase he is good. If any centre is overrated it is Gasnier, but I am not saying he is. Cooper is a lot more consistent than Gasnier is!