What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moving the Grand Final

Iamback

Coach
All of you have a point but PR is right when he says V’landys has painted himself into a corner here. Backing down now won’t sit with his tough negotiator image. This strategy of his only works when Labor offer the ideal alternative that you can leverage but both parties have a similar stance now. You don’t make public threats to a desperate premier who has to look tough cos his job’s on the line.

I think he has to move the GF now just as a f**k you which could make an incoming Labor government listen to you.

Take the WT who are whinging about no LO ugrade on the horizon. Between the Feds and the State Government they are getting $75m in funding for a CoE.

Very hard to claim they have been hard done by, So come to the table put in a legally binding agreement/Timelines. Start fresh with the new government

Spot On

Coach
not unless the labor govt has done a massive U turn since the last election on this issue. I can guarantee they aren’t going to run on a funding nrl stadium ticket whilst the Libs are saying flood victims are the priority! NSW Public opinion is clearly with the Libs on this one.

Labour need only front up at election time to beat the Liberals. Run on whatever they want, it won’t matter.

Pete will get what is needed - eventually.

At the moment it sounds like the original agreement still stands for Accor. If nrl want to be belligerent they can keep the gf in sydney and take the nsw govt to court for breach of that contract. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if Vlandys is egotistical enough to do that despite the irreparable damage it would cause.
nrl has three choices as far as I can see
1. back down, keep the gf in sydney and try and get the stadium strategy back on track
2. keep the gf in Sydney and take the nsw govt to court for breach of contract
3. Rip up the deal and offer the gf for sale

gonna be interrsting to see which way they go
Interesting, I didn’t know that was still on the table. As for his ego, I think it’ll work the other way. I think he wants to leave a lasting, positive legacy and be remembered for it. But like you, I don’t think he’s going the right way about it. His bluster tactics worked in racing but a different tact is required as it’s now become an election issue.

Iamback

Coach
Interesting, I didn’t know that was still on the table. As for his ego, I think it’ll work the other way. I think he wants to leave a lasting, positive legacy and be remembered for it. But like you, I don’t think he’s going the right way about it. His bluster tactics worked in racing but a different tact is required as it’s now become an election issue.

If the end game is the upgraded Stadiums, This won't get them

I

I’ve worked with govt’s for funding, that’s not how it works. You find a compromise position, stay friends and never, I repeat never publicly bag them off if you ever want them to do you a favour again.

done nothing? three amazing stadiums and over $100mill in C of E funding. Yeh the games been short changed in Sydney lol.
a favour ?
honouring a deal ? hahahaha omfg

and what 3 stadiums ?
i count 2... the sfs & parramatta
the first that we didn't want to the extent it ended up being with funds wasted that could have been used to fix up accor...... ya know .. in the west , where most of our fans are.

but no
this liberal party scg trust pandering deals for the boys scum went ahead & built a cathedral for the pointy end of town & wugby yawnion as much as anyone.

nah
they're scum & enough tip toeing around.
Honour the deal , or its on parrotturd you wanker

They were devoid of ideas, that isn't the case now.

There have some good outcomes, also has been some things that by far could of been handled better from PVL
no they had ideas , & were treated like shit by successive govts
& copped it sweet like the whimps they are

Vlandys is a different beast & I say ...........alleluia

butchmcdick

Immortal
worked out who built docklands yet dummy ? 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Under the terms of the agreement governing construction and operation of the venue, in 2025 the AFL was to win ownership of the stadium for a nominal $30 fee;[29] but the AFL Commissionopted to purchase exclusive ownership of the stadium earlier than this, in October 2016, for approximately $200 million.[6] This purchase left the stadium's tenant AFL clubs millions of dollars better off, as they and the AFL arranged more favourable tenancy agreements.[24] The stadium was eventually integrated into the AFL structure several years later, ending the independent management of the venue by Melbourne Stadiums Limited.[28]

The purchase also soon proved critically important to the AFL's finances during the COVID-19 pandemic, when it was able to leverage its ownership of the stadium in obtaining a $500–600 million line of credit to cover cash flow shortages when the 2020 AFL season was suspended.[30]

Under the terms of the agreement governing construction and operation of the venue, in 2025 the AFL was to win ownership of the stadium for a nominal $30 fee;[29] but the AFL Commissionopted to purchase exclusive ownership of the stadium earlier than this, in October 2016, for approximately $200 million.[6] This purchase left the stadium's tenant AFL clubs millions of dollars better off, as they and the AFL arranged more favourable tenancy agreements.[24] The stadium was eventually integrated into the AFL structure several years later, ending the independent management of the venue by Melbourne Stadiums Limited.[28]

The purchase also soon proved critically important to the AFL's finances during the COVID-19 pandemic, when it was able to leverage its ownership of the stadium in obtaining a $500–600 million line of credit to cover cash flow shortages when the 2020 AFL season was suspended.[30]

i see
so

thats a no ............ 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Perth Red

Post Whore
rubbish

where did being diplomatic get gallop or grant , or smith or beattie ?

thats right
nowhere .........
You mean Apart from aami stadium, nq stadium, commbank, gold,coast stadium, Newcastle rebuild, win rebuild sfs rebuild, hbf park rebuild Etc all decided in the decade or so before Vlandys became chair?
In fact vlandys hasnt delivered anything yet other than hopefully penrith! hes failed to get Accor done, he’s failed to get suburban grounds done, let’s hope he doesn’t screw penrith up as well!

Last edited:
That is the crux of it. Govt needs to work with sports

I fear the NSW Liberals will saddle up with AwFuL just to spite PVL. That would be disastrous as they already spend way more money on grassroots development across NSW. The last thing we need is AwFuL getting more money to build state of the art facilities at local clubs and acquire cheap leases of land to build more ovals. While PVL is fighting for stadia that won't be filled the other mob are promoting their brand to the next generation.

At the moment it sounds like the original agreement still stands for Accor. If nrl want to be belligerent they can keep the gf in sydney and take the nsw govt to court for breach of that contract. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if Vlandys is egotistical enough to do that despite the irreparable damage it would cause.
nrl has three choices as far as I can see
1. back down, keep the gf in sydney and try and get the stadium strategy back on track
2. keep the gf in Sydney and take the nsw govt to court for breach of contract
3. Rip up the deal and offer the gf for sale

gonna be interrsting to see which way they go
If he gets the NSW Liberals offside then the clubs will revolt and demand his resignation.

Perth Red

Post Whore
NRL officials will hold further meetings with the NSW government in an 11th-hour bid to save the game's stadium strategy and keep the grand final in Sydney.
The ARL Commission met on Monday to discuss the venue for this year's decider with the possibility of moving the match out of NSW.
Ultimately, the commissioners decided to defer a decision until later this week, allowing for more talks between the NRL and the state government.

The first of those discussions came on Monday afternoon, after a week-long public feud between ARLC chairman Peter V'landys and NSW premier Dominic Perrottet.
Further meetings will now be held between V'landys and government officials, with the NRL desperate to finalise the matter.
There is genuine hope that a compromise could be reached that would suit both parties.

The NRL had initially signed a deal with the NSW government to keep the grand final in Sydney until 2042 with an $800 million upgrade of Accor Stadium.
That rebuild was put off in 2020 and a portion of that funding was to be redirected to suburban grounds.
Some $300 million has already been pledged to Penrith, but the NRL believed it had a handshake deal on around $250 million upgrades across other grounds before being told it was no longer a priority.

V'landys has made it clear in recent days he would still prefer to keep the grand final in Sydney, but a decision would ultimately rest with the entire commission.

"There are two reasons for that (desire)," V'landys told AAP recently.
"One: we honour our agreements. We gave our word, we have a legally binding agreement (with the NSW government).
"So in order for us to protest those rights we have to continue providing the requirements we have.
"And the second thing is: I don't want to punish the fans of NSW because of the government."
A decision will likely have to be made by the end of the week to allow tickets to go on sale for the October 2 showpiece.

MasterTiger

Juniors
That is my question with it all. Why is it Stadiums to host it in NSW but another state can pay x amount and can host it
Nsw govt are playing this Well
”we have bigger priorities with people in need right now”
”we’ve delivered two stadiums with a third on the way”
”we’ve always said this is a staged startegy and the next stage is penrith”
”we haven’t said we are not going to do it when the time is right”
”why would nrl punish its fans in Sydney”

the 90% of sydney folk who don’t avidly follow NRL would be reading all that and going, ”yep fair call”.

compare that to vlandys whose coming across as a selfish naive fool.
Do not underestimate Vlandys. When he says things or acts it’s because it’s part of a long term plan he has developed. Those corrupt dirtbags in office now won’t be in power come March 2023.

Pantherjim.

Referee
Do not underestimate Vlandys. When he says things or acts it’s because it’s part of a long term plan he has developed. Those corrupt dirtbags in office now won’t be in power come March 2023.

Lol!

After the election, if Chris Minns wins - (And he will) - Let’s see how Vlandys gets on with future stadium funding then. If he thinks it’s tough under the Libs, it’s going to be twice as tough under NSW Labor.

GongPanther

Referee
You mean Apart from aami stadium, nq stadium, commbank, gold,coast stadium, Newcastle rebuild, win rebuild sfs rebuild, hbf park rebuild Etc all decided in the decade or so before Vlandys became chair?
In fact vlandys hasnt delivered anything yet other than hopefully penrith! hes failed to get Accor done, he’s failed to get suburban grounds done, let’s hope he doesn’t screw penrith up as well!
What I was informed of the situation for the new Panthers stadium is that it has been definitely been signed off by cabinet, and it would be unlikely be halted now. But anything is possible in politics. It is definitely much further along the line than the funding which has been halted for the other grounds.

Latest posts