What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MRC are a farce

wibble

Bench
Graham caught Hoffman high to force the initial knock on & then later on he caught Beale with a swinging arm which lead to a mini-rant from Gus.

And no, the video ref. should only do what they've been asked to do. Which he did, Badger all but awarded the try until his touchy told him to be safe and go upstairs where the video ref. found the obvious head high tackle that left us a man down all night.

Still not sure exactly where you mean. Hoffman got hit in a great tackle the set before the no try which leads to Gould's mini rant, no one but you seems to think it was high. Hoffman was still and then got smashed by Graham- it happens now as players are held up but not called held. It looks no worse than the shot on Robson as he kicks it a few tackles later.

Hoffman then loses the ball from a Jeremy Smith tackle, and that one probably does connect with the head- as the first player tackles the ball carrier to the ground and on the way down Smith gets him in the head- clearly because he is falling, but sometimes they are penalised. Smith is attempting a regular tackle and the ball carrier is suddenly just above his waist. Hoffman certainly cops 3 vigorous blows in about a minute. But only the Smith one is possibly illegal, and even then it is rarely penalised. Except now the referees have to defend that stupid no try decision so they say it was OK.

Of course, all these incidental head contact hits happen nearly every tackle. There are at least 3 hits to Sharks players heads like that as well in the sets on either side of this one. After we get the ball it happens to us on the next tackle.

Big Pete

Referee
My mistake, Hoffman loses the ball on the De Gois/Smith tackle which as you said involves a swinging arm from Smith. There was a prior tackle from Graham in that set that was identical to the one he was later (rightfully) penalised for.

It doesn't matter how good or bad a shot is, if the point of contact is up around the head it's a penalty in today's game. Fans don't want to see it because they love the physicality but it's about protecting the safety of our players in the wake of new information about concussions.

No generalisations needed here.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hoffman also had a head clash with a team mate in his own in goal before this incident.

Poor kid was in Disneyland before wade got him. To be honest how he even got to the ball is beyond me. Was sitting right in that corner. If he had his full wits about him I reckon he wouldn't have gone into wade with his head down and the whole incident would have been different. Not saying it was his fault either, just an accumulation of circumstances.

Do hope the kid is okay though.

Mr Fourex

Bench
Been a tough fortnight for Hoffman really ...what with Inglis absolutely smashing him twice last week.

Personally I think both tackles (Teo's & Grahams) were good shots. I don't buy into the assertion that they were different tackles.

One gets a suspension ..one gets nothing

It's typical of the inconsistency with our entire NRL officialdom.

Shits me

.....mehh!

Sharks players put on report and get let off

big surprise......:roll:

The MRC must have thought it was Paul Gallen when the number 13 was read out.

Been a tough fortnight for Hoffman really ...what with Inglis absolutely smashing him twice last week.

Personally I think both tackles (Teo's & Grahams) were good shots. I don't buy into the assertion that they were different tackles.

One gets a suspension ..one gets nothing

It's typical of the inconsistency with our entire NRL officialdom.

Shits me

.....mehh!

Sharks players put on report and get let off

big surprise......:roll:

The MRC must have thought it was Paul Gallen when the number 13 was read out.

I bet you had a smirk on your face when you wrote that last part! Lol

Latest posts