What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

myths, surprises, and the best players in the world cup

roopy

Referee
myth- Australian rugby league fans! is there any? ive only seen NZ, and other lesser nations fans and a sh1t load of English fans who aint afraid to put their hands in their pocket and go to games.
Very good point.
It actually brings up another great benefit of the WC. A lot of people who don't go to NRL games have been getting out to watch League. I wouldn't think 1 in 10 of the 6 or 7 thousand Fijians who have been going to games was a League fan before this tournament.

aqua_duck

Coach
England struggled in the backs because they don't use their backs!

They go through the middle ala WT in 2005. Check out Peacock's article admitting as much. The strange thing is he promotes joining up with our ruck rules instead of telling the SH teams they have to play under their rules in the 4N and presumable 2013 WC.

If we played their rules, blokes like Smith, Price et al would not only be ineffective, they probably wouldn't be selected in favour of quick hookers like Farah and damaging, fast backrowers like O'Donnell etc. Smith would be penalised every single time he made a tackle.
:lol::lol::lol::lol:
so you think the fact we put 50 on them was down solely to the ref and the interpretation of the rules? Who was the ref in the Aus Eng game

hellteam

First Grade
England struggled in the backs because they don't use their backs!

They go through the middle ala WT in 2005. Check out Peacock's article admitting as much. The strange thing is he promotes joining up with our ruck rules instead of telling the SH teams they have to play under their rules in the 4N and presumable 2013 WC.

If we played their rules, blokes like Smith, Price et al would not only be ineffective, they probably wouldn't be selected in favour of quick hookers like Farah and damaging, fast backrowers like O'Donnell etc. Smith would be penalised every single time he made a tackle.

Surely you are joking. I reckon England as a team would struggle to make the NRL Top 8.

England can't even defend a second man play in a 4 on 4 situation... do they even train ? This happened numerous times in the tournament.

They also struggled to beat PNG... who don't play this 'wrestle' technique like you say Aus and NZ do. '

Actually, I reckon English people wouldn't even notice the 'wrestle' if you didnt constantly read about it in the Australian media whilst looking for more excuses to excuse the sh*tness of your team

I still reckon James Graham would make the 17 of Australia ahead of Perry, Burrows might be effective off the bench, going to dummy half with a tiring opposition, those 2 players are quality, Vatuvei would make the team, I also think Mannering would be a decent partner for Stewart, totally underrated player, also Smith after his last couple of games might push Gallen close you'd definately lose nothing in aggression, and pushing Folau out to the wing for Ropati to partner Inglis in centres.

Possible WC team:
1. Slater
2. Folau
3.Inglis
4. Ropati
5. Vatuvei
6. Locky
7. Thurston
8. Price
9 C.Smith
10. Petero
11. Mannering
12. Stewart
13. J.Smith

14. Burrows 15. Kite
16. Graham 17. Gallen/Lafrannchi

butchmcdick

Post Whore
Myth - That the ARL and Colin Love are able to manage a competition like the NRL

Suprises - Ireland, Fiji, Burrows and the english fullback

aqua_duck

Coach
I still reckon James Graham would make the 17 of Australia ahead of Perry, Burrows might be effective off the bench, going to dummy half with a tiring opposition, those 2 players are quality, Vatuvei would make the team, I also think Mannering would be a decent partner for Stewart, totally underrated player, also Smith after his last couple of games might push Gallen close you'd definately lose nothing in aggression, and pushing Folau out to the wing for Ropati to partner Inglis in centres.

Possible WC team:
1. Slater
2. Folau
3.Inglis
4. Ropati
5. Vatuvei
6. Locky
7. Thurston
8. Price
9 C.Smith
10. Petero
11. Mannering
12. Stewart
13. J.Smith

14. Burrows 15. Kite
16. Graham 17. Gallen/Lafrannchi
if ropati is a better player than monaghan I'll give it up. btw luke>burrow

hellteam

First Grade
He hasn't been flashy this tournament, but every time he even scoots from dummy half he makes big metres and takes numbers to bring him down.

roopy

Referee
israel folau is a myth, and overated one at that
You wouldn't want a whole backline of folaus - but i'd take one any day. He isn't much of a defender, and he's not that fast, but he would put most props to shame with his power, and he looks bloody good under a high ball, especially in attack. He scores a lot of tries that few other players would.

westie

Bench
Surely you are joking. I reckon England as a team would struggle to make the NRL Top 8.

England can't even defend a second man play in a 4 on 4 situation... do they even train ? This happened numerous times in the tournament.

They also struggled to beat PNG... who don't play this 'wrestle' technique like you say Aus and NZ do. '

Actually, I reckon English people wouldn't even notice the 'wrestle' if you didnt constantly read about it in the Australian media whilst looking for more excuses to excuse the sh*tness of your team

You're proving my point.

The SL, for the most part, doesn't run as many complicated 2nd man plays, because they go through the middle. I agree that they didn't click in defence, often with players from different clubs playing different styles.

The first point is ridiculous. Leeds are the best club in the world as proved by their pummelling of Melbourne when most of us called them invincible. England arguably have the second best club in Saints, so I fail to see how the top players from the entire league would struggle to make the 8.

As a fan of a club around the top 8, the only players that I would have contend for the England sqaud are Benji and Farah.

England quite simply play a different style game than we do. Just as when it comes to the crunch, only England and SA can win the union WC because of different rules and interpretations.

Butters

Bench
You're proving my point.

The SL, for the most part, doesn't run as many complicated 2nd man plays, because they go through the middle. I agree that they didn't click in defence, often with players from different clubs playing different styles.

The first point is ridiculous. Leeds are the best club in the world as proved by their pummelling of Melbourne when most of us called them invincible. England arguably have the second best club in Saints, so I fail to see how the top players from the entire league would struggle to make the 8.

As a fan of a club around the top 8, the only players that I would have contend for the England sqaud are Benji and Farah.

England quite simply play a different style game than we do. Just as when it comes to the crunch, only England and SA can win the union WC because of different rules and interpretations.

11-4 is a pummeling? Melbourne were still playing trials while Leeds had already kicked off their season. Also Inglis and C Smith didn't play and Matt Geyer was playing hooker. Best club in the world... :lol:

You're proving my point.

Bro as much as it hurts me to agree with an Aussie, there's no way Leeds is the best club in the world that cup competition is a bit of a joke, for 1 most of the top players aren't risked for the game and also most of them have been on the juice for the time since the nrl comp, ended, to be honest if Leeds were to play in the nrl I reckon they'd be lucky to make the top 8, sorry bro.

hellteam

First Grade
You're proving my point.

England clubs are nothing compared to NRL ones. Remember when there was a true World Club Challenge (Super League), the English sides I dont think won one game on Aussie soil, and that was even without Manly, Newcastle and other strong clubs at the time. It would be the same now.

You could play the game with a ref from anywhere, you could ref the game and be as biased as you want and Australia would still dominate England!!

You're just kidding yourself seriously.

hellteam

First Grade
And they do do 2nd man plays in the Super League.... I've watched it myself. England themselves do them, admittedly very badly. If they couldnt have watched a few videos and learned how to defend them then thats their own fault.