What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Cleary

Fangs

Coach
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/12/im-a-halfback-cleary-dismisses-second-receiver-talk/

Nathan Cleary has brushed off suggestions he's more suited to a five-eighth role than the No.7 jersey as he prepares to line up opposite Blues halves partner Cody Walker on Saturday night.

Knights coach Nathan Brown told a media session last week he felt like the Blues played with two five-eighths against Queensland in Origin I, implying Cleary was best suited as a second receiver.

"I've always played halfback so I wouldn't really know," Cleary responded on Tuesday.

"There's not a massive difference. The footy we're playing at the moment [at Penrith] I don't think there's a massive difference between halfback and five eighth. Jimmy and I play similarly."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/12/im-a-halfback-cleary-dismisses-second-receiver-talk/

Nathan Cleary has brushed off suggestions he's more suited to a five-eighth role than the No.7 jersey as he prepares to line up opposite Blues halves partner Cody Walker on Saturday night.

Knights coach Nathan Brown told a media session last week he felt like the Blues played with two five-eighths against Queensland in Origin I, implying Cleary was best suited as a second receiver.

"I've always played halfback so I wouldn't really know," Cleary responded on Tuesday.

"There's not a massive difference. The footy we're playing at the moment [at Penrith] I don't think there's a massive difference between halfback and five eighth. Jimmy and I play similarly."

It’s interesting that there’s more and more people talking about him not being a halfback.

OldPanther

Coach

He basically admits it and simultaneously denies it there.

It’s interesting that there’s more and more people talking about him not being a halfback.

Because he looks like a more consistent and calm Wighton. Big strong frame who have a good running/kicking game. He is the ideal 6 if he were willing to consider it.

mxlegend99

Referee
He basically admits it and simultaneously denies it there.

Because he looks like a more consistent and calm Wighton. Big strong frame who have a good running/kicking game. He is the ideal 6 if he were willing to consider it.
The only difference between how our halves are asked to play is which side of the field. Even in Origin it was pretty much 6 = left and 7 = right. Against Roosters i was just happy to see them combining for plays and Jimmy trying to hit holes off Nathan.

Would be better off if Nathan was the one hitting holes though. Hes bigger and more likely to force his way through.

OldPanther

Coach
The only difference between how our halves are asked to play is which side of the field. Even in Origin it was pretty much 6 = left and 7 = right. Against Roosters i was just happy to see them combining for plays and Jimmy trying to hit holes off Nathan.

Would be better off if Nathan was the one hitting holes though. Hes bigger and more likely to force his way through.

Hit the nail on the head.

To do that Ivan would have to change his style of a left/right attacking structure.

Nathan makes the point that the way they’re playing now they’re both essentially playing 7.

So you need to go back to a more traditional style of 5/8 where he’s always the second receiver.

OldPanther

Coach
To do that Ivan would have to change his style of a left/right attacking structure.

Nathan makes the point that the way they’re playing now they’re both essentially playing 7.

So you need to go back to a more traditional style of 5/8 where he’s always the second receiver.

I guess. MX mentioned Maloney running off Cleary this week a few times. Just do the same thing and get Cleary running off Maloney from time to time.

I guess. MX mentioned Maloney running off Cleary this week a few times. Just do the same thing and get Cleary running off Maloney from time to time.

It’s going to happen occasionally because the play the ball jsnt always in the middle of the field, so I agree you could definitely change it around a little.

But to change it around properly the 7 would need to follow the ball to each side of the field to make sure they’re the first receiver. Unless it goes blindside of course.

OldPanther

Coach
It’s going to happen occasionally because the play the ball jsnt always in the middle of the field, so I agree you could definitely change it around a little.

But to change it around properly the 7 would need to follow the ball to each side of the field to make sure they’re the first receiver. Unless it goes blindside of course.

Yeah I think keep it how it is for simplicity sake just Get Cleary to run off Maloney when it goes left to right. If nothing else just remind Nathan he is allowed to run.

rem286

Juniors
Someone mentioned earlier about him losing his step. I tend to agree with the observation. This year at least, when he spots a bit of space he just accelerates towards it and ultimately fails to get through. In previous years (and as good players do) he would overrun the gap and then change direction and accelerate into it giving a better shot at a break

BxTom

Bench
Someone mentioned earlier about him losing his step. I tend to agree with the observation. This year at least, when he spots a bit of space he just accelerates towards it and ultimately fails to get through. In previous years (and as good players do) he would overrun the gap and then change direction and accelerate into it giving a better shot at a break
Thinking more about it, I also think he may have lost a little acceleration. As Daz suggested, perhaps he bulked up too much? He used to be able to get through the occasional gap - something he doesn't seem to be able to do now. He still goes for them, but can't seem to squeeze through. Perhaps he has slowed down or perhaps defenders read him better?

mxlegend99

Referee
Nathan had ankle surgery and missed most of the off-season. He might have lost speed due to the injury and/or different pre-season it would have forced upon him.

Surprisingly he is incredibly fit still. Averaging 107 metres a minute covered in Origin. Backing up to play 80 for us and still having the speed and stamina to make a try saving tackle 78 minutes into a game against Roosters.

I think he's still quick. But just not stepping off his ankle the same way. When Edwards was in space he had no trouble supporting him. Could be a combination of these things though.

OldPanther

Coach
Nathan had ankle surgery and missed most of the off-season. He might have lost speed due to the injury and/or different pre-season it would have forced upon him.

Surprisingly he is incredibly fit still. Averaging 107 metres a minute covered in Origin. Backing up to play 80 for us and still having the speed and stamina to make a try saving tackle 78 minutes into a game against Roosters.

I think he's still quick. But just not stepping off his ankle the same way. When Edwards was in space he had no trouble supporting him. Could be a combination of these things though.

Do we know how long it takes to be 100% from an ankle?

He’s definitely still got decent pace, look at those cover defence tackles he pulled off against the roosters.

Latest posts