What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Cleary

OldPanther

Coach
Apparently Cleary will be moved to the no.6 jersey for SOO 2, with Pearce taking control of the team at 7.

If true I think that is a better balance. Cleary can play to his strengths and learn how a halfback is suppose to play if he is going to persist with the position long term.

mxlegend99

Referee
Cleary at 6 is fine.

But in what universe is Pearce the answer in a must win Origin game? Would prefer Cleary is dropped than being partnered with Pearce.

Jimmy is our best chance at winning Origin. His club form isn't great. His discipline is poor. He csnt tackle. But he just doesn't care if he stuffs up. He forgets about it within seconds... and backs himself on rvery play to get it right

Nathan plays it safe. Following instructions and not taking risks. Pearce is haunted by Origin and almost certain to come up with terrible plays which he cant put behind him . Walker seemed to go into his shell in Origin. Wighton is just a big dumb body.

IMO we are gone for this series no matter what option we go with. But if its Jimmy I rate him to be most likely to have an epic MOTM performance for us. If he's not the leader of the team. We arent winning. His 6 can be anyone except Pearce really.

Andy_P

Juniors
Cleary at 6 is fine.

But in what universe is Pearce the answer in a must win Origin game? Would prefer Cleary is dropped than being partnered with Pearce.

Jimmy is our best chance at winning Origin. His club form isn't great. His discipline is poor. He csnt tackle. But he just doesn't care if he stuffs up. He forgets about it within seconds... and backs himself on rvery play to get it right

Nathan plays it safe. Following instructions and not taking risks. Pearce is haunted by Origin and almost certain to come up with terrible plays which he cant put behind him . Walker seemed to go into his shell in Origin. Wighton is just a big dumb body.

IMO we are gone for this series no matter what option we go with. But if its Jimmy I rate him to be most likely to have an epic MOTM performance for us. If he's not the leader of the team. We arent winning. His 6 can be anyone except Pearce really.
Yeah can't help but feel Pearce would be such an unknown despite current club form - the build up to the game would be pressure at a whole new level - but who knows,maybe he's finally ready for it.

With Maloney you're never gonna die wondering - his pass is either gonna win us the game, or it's gonna be intercepted. But even if it was intercepted, you know he wouldn't panic and he'd be scheming to make the plays that need to be played to get us back. And his confidence in his interview with League Life that he would get the job done was 110% which is what you want.

mxlegend99

Referee
James Hooper had Daniel Tupou, Adam Reynolds and Ryan Matterson playing Origin 1. He has no idea.

I dont think Fittler would drop Walker AND Cleary to promote Wighton to 6. I can see Pearce being called up... but i refuse to believe anyone on this planet thinks Pearce and Wighton will lead us to victory in a must win Origin match

OldPanther

Coach
James Hooper had Daniel Tupou, Adam Reynolds and Ryan Matterson playing Origin 1. He has no idea.

I dont think Fittler would drop Walker AND Cleary to promote Wighton to 6. I can see Pearce being called up... but i refuse to believe anyone on this planet thinks Pearce and Wighton will lead us to victory in a must win Origin match

In the article it seems to be just his opinion rather than inside info.

age.s

First Grade
If they pick Pearce they deserve what they get.

I'm done caring about Origin. It's only slightly above a neutral game for me now, mostly because of the jump in quality though.

Flashstep

Juniors

I agree but unfortunately NSW have a history of making brain dead selections

Thirsty Panther

Juniors
Queenslanders must be laughing themselves silly if we pick Pearce.
18 games he has won 5.

What happens if we pick Pearce and lose game two? Do we then go back to Cleary for game 3.
Do we continue with Pearce next year ?

Just makes no sense.

OldPanther

Coach
Braith with his usual high I.Q footy analysis :joy:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/st...k/news-story/968c7d1a3119d18e4b3f97f81509f669

Former NSW player Braith Anasta has given Nathan Cleary a sobering reality check, saying he will never reach the heights of Mitchell Pearce in terms of what he can do on a rugby league field.

Anasta believes Pearce must be picked ahead of Nathan Cleary because he has a higher skill-set to succeed at the highest level.

“Mitchell Pearce debuted with me at the Roosters and I’ve watched him evolve as a player and this is no disrespect to Nathan, but Mitchell Pearce has levels of his game that Nathan Cleary will never reach,” Anasta told NRL Tonight.
“Nathan will be a great first grader for a long period of time, but Mitchell Pearce has the ability to be up there with the best when he is at his best.

“He has got so much fire power with his passing and his kicking game.

“I just think he has a level that Nathan Cleary will never get to.”

Cleary has come under criticism for failing to come up with any try assists or linebreak assists in his four Origin games to date.
Pearce is in arguably the form of his career after six straight man-of-the-match performances for Newcastle and Anasta thinks the time is right to give him another chance in the Blues No.7 hot seat.

“Cleary is a great player and I respect him, but Mitchell Pearce just has to be there for game two in my opinion,” Anasta said.

“He has struggled in the past but behind an underperforming forward pack and side.

“He has copped a lot of unnecessary criticism. I watched it. I witnessed it.

“If there is any time to put Mitchell Pearce in this Origin side it is right now because he is ready.”

The NSW team for game two will be announced on Sunday.

OldPanther

Coach
I just posted the relevant text out of the article about his position going forward since it's come up here: @Panther_Daz @franklin2323 can't remember who else lol

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/st...h/news-story/b11114c028e9454f6ae487368558a306

But pressed on Nathan’s best position and where his future lies, Ivan said he was undoubtedly a No.7.

“Nathan’s a halfback, he always has been,” Ivan said.

“He’s young, halfbacks don’t hit their straps until after they’re 25. He’s only 21.

“He does some things really well each week. But we all stand here and know that in five years time he’s going to be a lot more accomplished as well, you can’t speed up time.”

Panther_Daz

Staff member
I just posted the relevant text out of the article about his position going forward since it's come up here: @Panther_Daz @franklin2323 can't remember who else lol

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/st...h/news-story/b11114c028e9454f6ae487368558a306

But pressed on Nathan’s best position and where his future lies, Ivan said he was undoubtedly a No.7.

“He’s young, halfbacks don’t hit their straps until after they’re 25. He’s only 21.

“He does some things really well each week. But we all stand here and know that in five years time he’s going to be a lot more accomplished as well, you can’t speed up time.”

Whether Ivan Cleary will be here when he is 25 to make that decision is the question...

Halfback's do hit their straps before 25, Ivan is flat out wrong. But even if he was right that means we'd need to wait 7 seasons, around 160 games, before we see him regularly producing. That's just silly.

OldPanther

Coach
Halfback's do hit their straps before 25, Ivan is flat out wrong. But even if he was right that means we'd need to wait 7 seasons, around 160 games, before we see him regularly producing. That's just silly.

I agree. In this more professional generation it shouldn't take as long. What was the point of the halves academy?

The main issue with Nathan isn’t his ability anyway. It’s his pay cheque.

Plenty of 7’s of Nathan’s ability have won premierships, but when you’re paid the most you need to produce big numbers.

In a competition with a salary cap this is vital.

The fact is if he doesn’t produce we need others who can, and it’s hard to recruit or retain those guys when you have someone who is overpaid in a critical position.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
The main issue with Nathan isn’t his ability anyway. It’s his pay cheque.

Plenty of 7’s of Nathan’s ability have won premierships, but when you’re paid the most you need to produce big numbers.

In a competition with a salary cap this is vital.

The fact is if he doesn’t produce we need others who can, and it’s hard to recruit or retain those guys when you have someone who is overpaid in a critical position.

He has gone backwards too playing wise

Latest posts