What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Cleary

OldPanther

Coach
We can guess, and that is a big part of what he is being judged on. As Umina said, he is 21 & 100% effort on every play,its hard not to be impressed by that. I just hope the vision comes. At least he is backing himself a bit more now. The half breaks will pay dividends eventually.

Yeah that's why I said if tonight becomes his normal game at this age he'll have a very good career at Panthers. He looked like a genuine halfback finally.

luv my panfas

Juniors
Yeah only needed 50+ tackles in souths 20 this time.
So moloney is there to hold clearys hand... And make up for all things Cleary can't do eg run, create tries.

A Cleary led penrith without moloney will be fun to watch next year.
f**k off your just pissed off you lost. We had 5 rookies and a second rower in the centres with a busted shoulder

forby

Juniors
Even Melbourne went more than 25 tackles in the 20 without scoring today. The Knights gave away several penalties inside their 20 which allowed them to set their line and hold the storm out. In the second half the refs stopped blowing the penalties and the game changed.
This is what has happened with Penrith and Cleary all year.

tripster

Juniors
How f**king good is Yeo? A true leader

Reckon he may have done his shoulder again tonight (looked like he hurt it in the second half). I have wondered if we have been carrying Luai on the bench because Yeo’s shoulder is touch and go.

If we sign Peach I imagine Yeo might go and have the shoulder reco

betcats

Referee
He had a try assist and his play led to the To'o try.

His individual game was much better than usual. He varied his kicking, grubbered to the in goal, kicked to corners and only bombed a few times, even put a nice kick for Naden. He backed himself with the show and go which he stopped doing AND he engaged the line when passing tonight instead of passing from 5 metres away.

He had a good run and quick play the ball before our first try also and got us that repeat set I believe. The main difference was his kicking imo, he fixed up his last tackle options and forced a couple line dropouts which always makes a half look a lot better, I think Jimmy playing so well is taking some pressure off him.

He goes to the line most weeks IMO, I dunno where it cans from that he plays so far before the line, he wasn’t doing that last week.

betcats

Referee
Watching Michael Morgan play on Friday and god he looks bad. At least twice he played short when they had 2 and 3 man overlaps out the back, he usually has good vision I mean he looked like the second coming of JT a couple years ago. I think he’s just out of form in a side that’s out of form so he’s not seeing it well out there.

Now Clearys vision isn’t anywhere near Morgan’s but I thinks it’s being made to look a lot worse than it really is this year by our really poor form and Clearys individual struggles to start the year. He’s playing with more pressure than any other panthers and generally since the heat has been turned up on him in the media he has responded positively.

GoldCoastPather

Juniors
Watching Michael Morgan play on Friday and god he looks bad. At least twice he played short when they had 2 and 3 man overlaps out the back, he usually has good vision I mean he looked like the second coming of JT a couple years ago. I think he’s just out of form in a side that’s out of form so he’s not seeing it well out there.

Now Clearys vision isn’t anywhere near Morgan’s but I thinks it’s being made to look a lot worse than it really is this year by our really poor form and Clearys individual struggles to start the year. He’s playing with more pressure than any other panthers and generally since the heat has been turned up on him in the media he has responded positively.

mxlegend99

Referee
He started off rough... kicking dead and costing us a try.

Although the try was pretty flukey... Nathan did all the little bits right. He read the play. Positioned himself, took the ball cleanly. Tried diving low out of the ingoal....and then Murray unintentionally contacted it with his knee forcing it loose and grounding it.

From that point on though he was terrific. He didnt let the ball going dead stop him from going for repeat sets later on. And put in a beautiful pinpoint kick for Naden to score. Outside of Blake we havent had a kick target in our backline for a while. It's good to see that we are using him. Jimmy last week. Nathan this week. Although the kicks are only as good as the chase. They both probably had many kicks wirthy of tries if our backline wasn't so bad earlier in the year.

OldPanther

Coach
He started off rough... kicking dead and costing us a try.

Although the try was pretty flukey... Nathan did all the little bits right. He read the play. Positioned himself, took the ball cleanly. Tried diving low out of the ingoal....and then Murray unintentionally contacted it with his knee forcing it loose and grounding it.

From that point on though he was terrific. He didnt let the ball going dead stop him from going for repeat sets later on. And put in a beautiful pinpoint kick for Naden to score. Outside of Blake we havent had a kick target in our backline for a while. It's good to see that we are using him. Jimmy last week. Nathan this week. Although the kicks are only as good as the chase. They both probably had many kicks wirthy of tries if our backline wasn't so bad earlier in the year.

Not much he could do about Murray kicking the ball out by accident in my opinion.

Honestly that was my favourite game from him in a long time.

I have the 4 in a row recorded on my Foxtel and you can see a real evolution in his game as a halfback in that short time. Whatever is happening is bringing out his best slowly.

Crashtest

Juniors
Not much he could do about Murray kicking the ball out by accident in my opinion.

Honestly that was my favourite game from him in a long time.

I have the 4 in a row recorded on my Foxtel and you can see a real evolution in his game as a halfback in that short time. Whatever is happening is bringing out his best slowly.

A big part during that time frame would of been the one on one coaching he was getting from Johns in the Blue camp. That's why I hope they pick him again for the remaining two games regardless of the results, as the time being coached and mentored by Johns would be invaluable for his development.

A big part during that time frame would of been the one on one coaching he was getting from Johns in the Blue camp. That's why I hope they pick him again for the remaining two games regardless of the results, as the time being coached and mentored by Johns would be invaluable for his development.

He got one on one coaching from Johns last year too. Can’t stick with him in origin unless he starts creating points.

Cleary played solidly last night, better kicking being the main thing.