What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Cleary

OldPanther

Coach
Well if Corey Thompson signs on we will all have a hard time deciding who is the hardest worker in the team. Cleary and Thompson are those 110% effort guys, maybe even 111% but who is counting? (I am).

They are going to break the Telstra Tracker.

I don't mind that. We have some players to counter that in Luai/Maloney, Kikau.

OldPanther

Coach
You know there’s only 4 players who have forced more drop outs than Nath this year, one is Jimmy who is first in the league and doing most of our short kicking, so Nath isn’t doing to bad in that regard.

What's the old saying?

Don’t practice until you get it right. Practice until you can’t get it wrong.

Or

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.

Bruce Lee

You know there’s only 4 players who have forced more drop outs than Nath this year, one is Jimmy who is first in the league and doing most of our short kicking, so Nath isn’t doing to bad in that regard.

There’s a flip side to all our forced drop outs. It’s likely a result of failing to get over the line for enough tries.

soc123_au

Staff member
Nathan seems to kick short pretty well when there isnt much on apart from a repeat set. When there is a genuine try scoring chance on he tends to overcook it. Half of that will improve over time, the other half requires support from the chase. He can only ever be half the equation in an attacking kick. Unless of course he is kicking for himself.

franklin2323

Immortal

On the flip side the halves need some blame for not using the repeat sets well

betcats

Referee
There’s a flip side to all our forced drop outs. It’s likely a result of failing to get over the line for enough tries.

Plays a part perhaps. But Adam Reynolds and Anthony are above Nathan and below jimmy on the list, they’ve had a lot more kicks than our halves.

Plays a part perhaps. But Adam Reynolds and Anthony are above Nathan and below jimmy on the list, they’ve had a lot more kicks than our halves.

We’re no.1 for forced drop outs overall.

We’re also no.1 for tackles in the opposition 20

Conversely we’re no.15 for tries.

Pomoz

Bench
We’re no.1 for forced drop outs overall.

We’re also no.1 for tackles in the opposition 20

Conversely we’re no.15 for tries.
  • Not enough set plays with players in motion.
  • Not enough pace to beat the first tackler and stretch the defence.
  • Poor short passing game.
  • Poor long passing game.
  • Lack of vision to see the gaps and struggling defenders. We are just as likely to play to the right side if a left side defender is prone on the floor. Three on two overlap on the right? Great, let's go left.

tripster

Juniors
Maybe we should take the 2 more often? Cleary is a deadly goal kicker, might make them think twice about the penalties.

I have been thinking the same thing all season. We aren’t good at scoring tries within the 20 m but with Cleary kicking we will convert penalties into 2 points 90% of the time. My rough guess is there would be about 3 shots on goal we are turning down each game this season, and almost never scoring a try instead.

Last edited:

snickers007

Juniors
I have been thinking the same thing all season. We aren’t good at scoring tries within the 20 min, but with Cleary kicking we will convert penalties into 2 points 90% of the time. My rough guess is there would be about 3 shots on goal we are turning down each game this season, and almost never scoring a try instead.

Considering how poorly we complete our sets after scoring points, perhaps this isn't such a good idea.

2 points for, and 6 points against

OldPanther

Coach
Shots fired!!

https://www.nswblues.app/news/cleary-only-one-statistic-matters/

Cleary: Only one statistic matters

Nathan Cleary admits hearing all the criticism about his stats, but is adamant the only numbers that matter to him are wins and losses.

And the Brydens Lawyers NSW Blues halfback reckons some of his naysayers will never understand that.

"I don't think people will ever get it. Being a halfback, everyone just expects (numbers) and that's fair enough for them," Cleary tells AAP.

Cleary is arguably the player under the most pressure when the Blues attempt to keep the State of Origin series alive in Perth on Sunday.
Not that the 21-year-old is feeling any of it.

"I haven't really thought about pressure too much leading up to this game. Obviously it's a massive game and the biggest one I've had so far," he says.

"There's no second chances for us."

Prior to the Blues' Game Two team announcement, Cleary's 'lack' of statistical impact was questioned by some.

"I don't think I've ever been a halfback that's put on a heap of try assists or line break assists, even in my younger ages," Cleary says.

"I've never been that creative X-factor. I'm always the one that will work hard and do my job for the team to allow the X-factor in the team to work their magic.

"If I can get us around the park and put us in positions where (explosive players) can do their magic, then I'll be happy with that.
"At the end of the day, stats don't mean a whole lot to me.

"The only stat that really matters is the win or loss."

Cleary, who has enjoyed one-on-one tutorials under Blues champion Andrew Johns after each session this week, likened his game to Cooper Cronk.

The Sydney Roosters veteran has one more try assist and one less line break assist than Cleary this year, albeit in three less games.
"Cooper's obviously the definition of a general," Cleary says.

"He does get a lot of try assists, and a lot of them are from pinpoint kicking which is something I'm still working at.

"There are times in games where I could just be a bit more perfect I suppose and try assists will come from that. That's still a work in progress."

The Blues had a day off on Thursday but return to the training paddock on Friday before the captain's run on Saturday.

mxlegend99

Referee
Winning is the most important stat. Although until he wins us a grand final he's not winning enough.

The problem with playing to set up our x-factor players is we keep getting rid of them. It's amazing that DWZ was supposedly on big money. Yet his loss hasnt allowed us to sign anyone. We still need to move on Blake just to sign a guy we let go 12 months ago.

I love Peachey. But it's a very bad deal for us. Doesnt make sense offloading guys on overs to replace them with former players on even bigger money.