What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Friend

shiznit

Coach
2007 - 4/16 - Gutless against Cowboys
2008 - 8/16 - Was a fluke through a last minute try against Melbourne
2009 - 14/16 - Sad
2010 - 5/16 - Gutless against the Titans
2011 - ???

Isn't 5 years long enough?

Maybe Friend signed coz Bennett has fooled everyone and coming to the Warriors :crazy:

or Bluey - He deserves another coaching crack
:lol:

talk about giving the statistics a slant to suit your geniused argument.. :lol:

so if we strip away all your whining... essentially under Cleary the warriors have made the finals 3 times over the last 4 seasons...

Skinner

Coach

so if we strip away all your whining... essentially under Cleary the warriors have made the finals 3 times over the last 4 seasons...

and how many premierships in that time ?????

Making the bloody finals means diddly freakin squat if you don't go on with it.

shiznit

Coach
and how many premierships in that time ?????

Making the bloody finals means diddly freakin squat if you don't go on with it.

you talk like winning premierships are easy to come by... you must have plenty of them yourself to be talking like that...

Brian Smith hasnt won a premiership before... but i bet the lot of you would be over the moon if he signed for the warriors.

the NRL is the toughest football competition on the planet...

the warriors have the added pressure of not only the toughest travelling schedule of any club in the competition but also having to deal with being one of the toughest clubs to attract players to.

getting to the finals 3 out of 4 years is bloody impressive.

Juju

Juniors
you talk like winning premierships are easy to come by... you must have plenty of them yourself to be talking like that...

Brian Smith hasnt won a premiership before... but i bet the lot of you would be over the moon if he signed for the warriors.

the NRL is the toughest football competition on the planet...

the warriors have the added pressure of not only the toughest travelling schedule of any club in the competition but also having to deal with being one of the toughest clubs to attract players to.

getting to the finals 3 out of 4 years is bloody impressive.

this.
look at the title droughts of most clubs.
I think the warriors record of the last 5 years stacks up pretty well and I think their recruitment has gone up a level. Recruitment seems to have benefitted for the factory line the u20s are supplying

Fast Eddie

First Grade
If not winning a premiership in 4 years is a reason to go then Brian Smith. Matthew Elliot, John Cartwright, Neil Henry, Craig Bellamy lol etc should all be gone too.......

Revelation 3:20

Juniors
If not winning a premiership in 4 years is a reason to go then Brian Smith. Matthew Elliot, John Cartwright, Neil Henry, Craig Bellamy lol etc should all be gone too.......

They should be..gee Bennett done it in two with the Saints. Chris Anderson done it in two. Dan Anderson GF in two.

Cleary is luke warm....... laugh at yourself mate

Juniors

Bro the aim isn't to make the final a go all limp. It's to Win a GF - you can support mediocre but trust me Ivan won't win a NRL premiership with the Warriors.

Show me stats that lean towards Cleary succeeding.

I'm not whining i'm being real...time to move on

Juniors
this.
look at the title droughts of most clubs.
I think the warriors record of the last 5 years stacks up pretty well and I think their recruitment has gone up a level. Recruitment seems to have benefitted for the factory line the u20s are supplying

As a Warriors fan, yes I'm a fan, I'm not after 'pretty well' I demand the best. The Warriors have more potential then they have been living up to.

I'm not after mediocre, or second best. Warriors have never won a NRL GF.
Don't you think now is the time.
Does every honestly believe, under Cleary, the Warriors will.

No they won't!

Recruitment has only gone to the level it needs to be - they've been poorly recruiting for years

JAG

Juniors
As a Warriors fan, yes I'm a fan, I'm not after 'pretty well' I demand the best. The Warriors have more potential then they have been living up to.

I'm not after mediocre, or second best. Warriors have never won a NRL GF.
Don't you think now is the time.
Does every honestly believe, under Cleary, the Warriors will.

No they won't!

Recruitment has only gone to the level it needs to be - they've been poorly recruiting for years

So, if they've been recruiting poorly for years, is it Cleary's fault that we haven't got to, or won, a GF?

I don't think Cleary controls the purse strings so poor recruitment can't all be blamed on him.

If recruitment is stepping up, as the Friend signing suggests it might be, maybe Cleary will be on a more level playing field with the rest?

Not giving an opinion on the man, one way or another, just asking the question.

Juniors
So, if they've been recruiting poorly for years, is it Cleary's fault that we haven't got to, or won, a GF?

I don't think Cleary controls the purse strings so poor recruitment can't all be blamed on him.

If recruitment is stepping up, as the Friend signing suggests it might be, maybe Cleary will be on a more level playing field with the rest?

I was making to different points.
1.Cleary's been there for 5 year - time to go
2. Recruitment is finally getting to a good standard

shiznit

Coach
Bro the aim isn't to make the final a go all limp. It's to Win a GF - you can support mediocre but trust me Ivan won't win a NRL premiership with the Warriors.

Show me stats that lean towards Cleary succeeding.

I'm not whining i'm being real...time to move on
What a geniused argument... trying to come across like a 'Winner'... you sound like a dude having a midlife crisis.

not to sound corny or anything...

but ive got a revelation for you sunshine... if your wanting instant premierships... pinning all your hopes to Bluey is actually a step backwards.

Ivan Cleary has coached the Warriors for 5 seasons... 1 of which was ruined by a salary cap problem which he had nothing to do with. so effectively hes coached the Warriors to the finals 3 times in his first 4 seasons.... and if it wasn't for the salary cap penalty it would be 4 times in 5 seasons.

Wayne Bennett didn't win his first premiership until his 6th season coaching in the competition so if we followed your 5 season rule the bronco's would have made the dumbest mistake in the clubs history...

Bluey isn't just gonna turn up and turn the Warriors into premiers. you would be taking a bigger gamble taking Bluey on than staying the course with Cleary.

i can assure you one thing, if Cleary left the warriors right now... i dont think he would be unemployed for very long.

Success for a coach isn't necessarily based on how many premierships you've won, arguing that just show's how much of an idiot you are.

and thats especially true of the Warriors... in the whole history of this club... making the finals is never something to be scoffed at. perhaps you should go back and watch a video of that Warriors game in 2001 VS Melbourne where the Warriors clinched there first finals spot... sure they got smashed by Parra in the semi... but theres no doubt that season '01 was a success.

Brian Smith has never won a premiership... Yet Micheal Hagan won one in his first season in charge of the knights... i know who i would rather want coaching my club.

Last edited:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

Cleary gets what he wants, does he not? If he doesn't want a player I doubt he gets signed, even if he doesn't sign the cheque.

It's all well and good this 3 finals in 4 seasons stuff but we haven't looked likely to go any further. Are we happy with that? I'm not. Do I think we're capable of going further under him? I don't really, no.

Juniors
What a geniused argument... trying to come across like a 'Winner'... you sound like a dude having a midlife crisis.

but ive got a revelation for you sunshine... if your wanting instant premierships... pinning all your hopes to Bluey is actually a step backwards.

Ivan Cleary has coached the Warriors for 5 seasons... 1 of which was ruined by a salary cap problem which he had nothing to do with. so effectively hes coached the Warriors to the finals 3 times in his first 4 seasons.... and if it wasn't for the salary cap penalty it would be 4 times in 5 seasons.

Wayne Bennett didn't win his first premiership until his 6th season coaching in the competition so if we followed your 5 season rule the bronco's would have made the dumbest mistake in the clubs history...

Bluey isn't just gonna turn up and turn the Warriors into premiers. you would be taking a bigger gamble taking Bluey on than staying the course with Cleary.

i can assure you one thing, if Cleary left the warriors right now... i dont think he would be unemployed for very long.

Success for a coach isn't necessarily based on how many premierships you've won, arguing that just show's how much of an idiot you are.

and thats especially true of the Warriors... in the whole history of this club... making the finals is never something to be scoffed at. perhaps you should go back and watch a video of that Warriors game in 2001 VS Melbourne where the Warriors clinched there first finals spot... sure they got smashed by Parra in the semi... but theres no doubt that season '01 was a success.

Brian Smith has never won a premiership... Yet Micheal Hagan won one in his first season in charge of the knights... i know who i would rather want coaching my club.

Who said anything about Bluey?

I'll have a midlife crisis when I get to that age, but not now

I don't want an instant premiership, I just know the Status Quo will not work
It's called being proactive

Iafeta

Referee
They should be..gee Bennett done it in two with the Saints. Chris Anderson done it in two. Dan Anderson GF in two.

Cleary is luke warm....... laugh at yourself mate

How's Chris Anderson going with Cronulla? The start of them going to hell and back with Anderson in charge. Daniel with Parramatta? Aside from Bennett, all coaches in the NRL have some severe weaknesses in their career resume. They're as inconsistent as a supermodel on crack.

Iafeta

Referee

:clap::clap: If this was a boxing match revelations would be staring at the ring lights (if his eyes were even openable). He knows it as well. There are a few posters here and on other forums who are completely black or white based in their judgement, there's no middle ground. There's no understanding of circumstances.

Personally, I'm unsure whether Ivan is the best man for the job simply because I notice no improvements or constructiveness in our attacking structure. But he's still a good coach with a good record.

I personally feel we will win premierships once a couple more years roll by and the guys the club has developed in NYC are fully fledged NRL players with the experiences of what it is to be a hardened professional. The only bloke I think will get us one in the mean time is W Bennett. Eric Watson would have to find some serious dough to have even caused a ripple in the efforts of Nathan Tinkler.

jaseg

Juniors
I'm of the mind that Ivan's running very close to his used-by date, but still... his record of making it into the top half of teams is very good - often with questionable cattle available (Rovelli, Gatis, Kirk, Crockett etc). My idea is that while continuity is good, I don't know if Ivan has it in him to reinvent the team over and over again to prevent stagnation (as happens in any sport over a long tenure).

Buuuuut..... There are SIXTEEN teams in the comp. It's very hard to win. Fact.

Just because Bennett can do it, doesn't mean you can reasonably expect ANY other coach to do it - the bloke is the greatest coach in the history of the game ffs.

shiznit

Coach
i think when the time actually comes and the warriors do win that maiden premiership... i think its actually going to have more to do with the NYC competition than the actual coach.

one thing you need to keep in mind is who your going to choose to take over from Cleary. Whoever it is will need to be able to take the club forward...

and whoever it is.. you need to be prepared to accept 2 or 3 seasons where you may not make the finals at all... as it takes awhile for a new coach to embed there ideas and players into a club.

and if you dont give them that time you end up in an endless cycle chasing short term success.

take it from me... ive had to watch Parra go through this.. where were sacking coaches every couple of seasons if they dont produce instant results.its ridiculous.

Auckland4ever

Juniors
Bluey or Bennett or whoever else anyone would like as the coach of our side would still have to contend with putting together a team lacking a quality half. How many coaches have won premierships under those circumstances? That a pretty major hurdle to overcome.

Latest posts