What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Hindmarsh

JoeyJoJo83

Juniors
Now he's Lasalo without leg drive...

Pull your head in, to say Hindy is like Lasalo is just plain ignorant.

Yeah, he may not be able to bend the line or bust the line like he used to but the guy plays with more passion and desire then a number of players in the team combined.

And what he lacks in attack he makes up for it in leaps and bounds in his defensive work.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Why is showing passion and giving 100% every week a decent reason to gloss over Hindmarsh's pedestrian hit-ups, and yet when the same things were said about Finch, Robson and Mortimer they were dismissed?

oldmancraigy

Coach
The poor guy is just gutted.

I'm just as gutted as he is - if not more so - should I get a gig?

Poore got heavily criticised since he got here for producing performances that are 3x as good as the stuff Hindy is serving up.
Cayless got hammered for his efforts in his final year here - all of which far outshine what Hindmarsh is currently giving us.

His "defensive efforts" aren't there anymore. He used to be the bloke who chased "just in case" and would clean up in scenarios where you just wouldn't expect him to be.
Hasn't done that yet this year.

I think people are failing to understand that I see him as an absolute legend. One of the greatest ever Eels. But I don't see why he should be playing first grade this season :( Possibly he could be the backup backrower off the bench - but (rightly) hasn't been starting backrower for 4 weeks now. I guess I'm saying he's not a prop, and it's silly that we carry 4 other props in the team to accomodate him...

oldmancraigy

Coach
Pull your head in, to say Hindy is like Lasalo is just plain ignorant.

Yeah, he may not be able to bend the line or bust the line like he used to but the guy plays with more passion and desire then a number of players in the team combined.

And what he lacks in attack he makes up for it in leaps and bounds in his defensive work.

I think it's fairly ignorant to say he's not like Lasalo :(

There's a struck match between them in asking who has played better footy this year.
Hindy has busted 2 tackles, at least when Lasalo runs the ball he bends the line on occasion.
And he normally gets a quicker play the ball than Hindy.

And Hindy's D has been MIA this year.

This is just the facts of what happens on the field this year. If it were up to MY sentimental nature Hindmarsh would be captaining Australia, NSW and Parra until 2015.
But all good things come to an end....

JoeyJoJo83

Juniors
Why is showing passion and giving 100% every week a decent reason to gloss over Hindmarsh's pedestrian hit-ups, and yet when the same things were said about Finch, Robson and Mortimer they were dismissed?

Your comparing apples to oranges, over the past few season Hindmarsh has been turned into defensive lock, plays in the middle of the field does 50 plus tackles a game and always puts his hand to make those settling runs. We have other forwards who don't do the defensive work that Hindmarsh does which allows them to attack the line more often.

Mortimer, Robson and Finch are all players that played with passion, but were never good enough to lead the team around, look at what happen when Finch went to the Storm, took a back seat to Smith and Cronk and looked like a superstar, same is happening with Robson at the sharks. These guys never had a dominate playmaker next to them to take the pressure off them which is why people were calling for a change.

JoeyJoJo83

Juniors

There's a struck match between them in asking who has played better footy this year.
Hindy has busted 2 tackles, at least when Lasalo runs the ball he bends the line on occasion.

This is just the facts of what happens on the field this year. If it were up to MY sentimental nature Hindmarsh would be captaining Australia, NSW and Parra until 2015.

In attack they are on a level playing field the big difference here is Hindy puts his hand up every time and gives it his all, Lasalo is nothing but a lazy bum waiting for his next pay cheque, and to say Hindy D is MIA is silly, when the guy has played close to 80mins he has always made 50 plus tackles a game topping the tackle count for the eels.

oldmancraigy

Coach
In attack they are on a level playing field the big difference here is Hindy puts his hand up every time and gives it his all, Lasalo is nothing but a lazy bum waiting for his next pay cheque, and to say Hindy D is MIA is silly, when the guy has played close to 80mins he has always made 50 plus tackles a game topping the tackle count for the eels.

While that's true - his D was not always so much about his tackle count, more about the fact he popped up in remarkable places. Take Lawrence's try yesterday, last year Hindy would've mowed him down.

Here's his quote from the papers today:
"That's the way they want to use me. As long as we start winning games, I don't care if I play 10 minutes. I've come to that conclusion. As long as I'm contributing in some way."

Maybe his biggest contribution came at the end of the match, when he and prop Tim Mannah gathered their teammates on the 40m line and addressed them at length, for about five minutes. "I can't remember what I said," Hindmarsh said. "There was a bit of positive, bit of negative. Bit like the game."

I'd have to say I agree with him! As long as he's contributing, let's use him.

The reason I made this thread was because I felt like he wasn't contributing in important ways - having a prop as your captain who takes underwhelming hitups can set the tone...
But what the heck, we can hardly go any worse - let's hope Hindy bounces back against the hated Dogs and churns out a throwback game!

DeanPay98

Juniors

The major difference is their involvement. When Lasalo does get involved he's outstanding, but he's involved inconsistently.

Hindmarsh is extremely effective in defense. He is much less effective in attack, but he can still offload.

JoeyJoJo83

Juniors
While that's true - his D was not always so much about his tackle count, more about the fact he popped up in remarkable places. Take Lawrence's try yesterday, last year Hindy would've mowed him down.

The reason I made this thread was because I felt like he wasn't contributing in important ways - having a prop as your captain who takes underwhelming hitups can set the tone...
But what the heck, we can hardly go any worse - let's hope Hindy bounces back against the hated Dogs and churns out a throwback game!

Fair point, the way I see it, at present there is really no one else pressing for his spot. If Horo, Lasalo, POH where playing great guns I would agree and say it's time to step a side. But until them I am happy with him to be there doing what he does.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Your comparing apples to oranges, over the past few season Hindmarsh has been turned into defensive lock, plays in the middle of the field does 50 plus tackles a game and always puts his hand to make those settling runs. We have other forwards who don't do the defensive work that Hindmarsh does which allows them to attack the line more often.

Mortimer, Robson and Finch are all players that played with passion, but were never good enough to lead the team around, look at what happen when Finch went to the Storm, took a back seat to Smith and Cronk and looked like a superstar, same is happening with Robson at the sharks. These guys never had a dominate playmaker next to them to take the pressure off them which is why people were calling for a change.

It's not comparing apples with oranges - people counter Hindmarsh's lack of attack by saying he's passionate and gives it his all. But when blokes who had limited ability but played with passion and gave it their all, they were shot down - people even said things such as, "That's not enough; playing with passion and determination is great, but you need more."

The fact is Hindmarsh stifles our attack. He is an easy target for opposition players. His defensive work-rate is second to none, but he gets the ball way too often in attack for my liking.

Someone else (I think it was OMC) said it best: my support and allegiance lies with the club first and foremost. We also lack in quality replacements for him (not that he'd be dropped). But his attack is bad. Very bad. He's a passenger in that regard.

bartman

Immortal
Hindmarsh's contribution on the field is the least of our problems imo.

If wondercoach thinks he has someone better who deserves more minutes, then Hindy can start from the bench for the rest of the year. But I can't think of anyone that would make a better contribution who Hindy is stealing valuable minutes from?

But until we have someone else that can keep the defence tight in the middle (Ben Smith), then we need Hindy to play as many minutes as possible, and if nothing else tackle, tackle, tackle.

JoeyJoJo83

Juniors

If wondercoach thinks he has someone better who deserves more minutes, then Hindy can start from the bench for the rest of the year. But I can't think of anyone that would make a better contribution who Hindy is stealing valuable minutes from?

But until we have someone else that can keep the defence tight in the middle (Ben Smith), then we need Hindy to play as many minutes as possible, and if nothing else tackle, tackle, tackle.

My thoughts exactly.

Eelementary

Post Whore

I agree. Just don't give him the ball...

eloquentEEL

First Grade
It's not comparing apples with oranges - people counter Hindmarsh's lack of attack by saying he's passionate and gives it his all. But when blokes who had limited ability but played with passion and gave it their all, they were shot down - people even said things such as, "That's not enough; playing with passion and determination is great, but you need more."

The fact is Hindmarsh stifles our attack. He is an easy target for opposition players. His defensive work-rate is second to none, but he gets the ball way too often in attack for my liking.

Someone else (I think it was OMC) said it best: my support and allegiance lies with the club first and foremost. We also lack in quality replacements for him (not that he'd be dropped). But his attack is bad. Very bad. He's a passenger in that regard.

That is more an indictment on the others rather than Hindy. If he's the only one putting up his hand for a hit up then he'll get the ball "too often". and to compound it, there are no decoys so of course he's going to get smashed. If we had 2 or 3 guys putting their hand up on every play, then Hindy would have fewer touches and be more effective when he does get it.

Eelementary

Post Whore
That is more an indictment on the others rather than Hindy. If he's the only one putting up his hand for a hit up then he'll get the ball "too often". and to compound it, there are no decoys so of course he's going to get smashed. If we had 2 or 3 guys putting their hand up on every play, then Hindy would have fewer touches and be more effective when he does get it.

I have seen Mannah, Allgood, Paulo, Ryan and Maitua start running for hit-ups and the ball gets sent to...Hindmarsh...

Look, the bloke is a legend, and not just of the club, but the sport as a whole. But his attack these days is painful to watch. He has great strength and an ability to pop an offload, but other than that...

Hindmarsh is important and needs to be in our side. But he offers nothing in attack, and I think we need to stop giving him the damn ball. Or maybe (more realistically) do not give him the ball on important hit-ups (such as the first 3 coming out of our own end, or 10 metres out, or just after we've made a break). Use him on set plays or as a settler, but do not let him take a hit-up when we are rolling forward - it kills our momentum, seriously.

JoeyJoJo83

Juniors

True, when in the opposition 20, Hindy does seem to get the ball a lot, they should be using him as a decoy and get players like Mannah, Fui and Poore hitting the line hard.

Springs

First Grade

That's more like it. Hindy's hit-ups have been underwhelming for a while now, which is why it was a stupid decision to put him at prop.

Now can we have no more silly kneejerk reaction threads like this one and let a champion player play out his final season like he deserves to?

Eelementary

Post Whore
It's a tough situation, because a champion like Hindmarsh would hate to get "special" treatment from his mates (as in, not get the ball as often). But his attack is not so good these days, and there are better options, unfortunately...

One thing we should do more often is get Hindy running decoy lines (which he does often and well) but actually pass him the ball; if we limit the times Hindmarsh actually gets the ball, when he runs a nice decoy line and we actually pass him the ball it will come as a bit of a surprise and we could maybe get an advantage out of it.

Springs

First Grade
I'm just as gutted as he is - if not more so - should I get a gig?

Poore got heavily criticised since he got here for producing performances that are 3x as good as the stuff Hindy is serving up.
Cayless got hammered for his efforts in his final year here - all of which far outshine what Hindmarsh is currently giving us.

His "defensive efforts" aren't there anymore. He used to be the bloke who chased "just in case" and would clean up in scenarios where you just wouldn't expect him to be.
Hasn't done that yet this year.

I think people are failing to understand that I see him as an absolute legend. One of the greatest ever Eels. But I don't see why he should be playing first grade this season :( Possibly he could be the backup backrower off the bench - but (rightly) hasn't been starting backrower for 4 weeks now. I guess I'm saying he's not a prop, and it's silly that we carry 4 other props in the team to accomodate him...

Are you kidding? Unless you are the captain of a struggling side, most of which aren't really trying, with most of his former team mates (and good mates) gone, with a poor coach and poor signings, feeling like he has to carry th club on his shoulders, how the f**k can you say you are more gutted than Hindmarsh is? Am I missing something or are you more than just a fan? It's as stupid as saying you were more gutted than the players when they lost the grand final.

Hindmarsh shouldn't be playing prop. Leave him playing at lock for the most of the game, only taking settlers or hit-ups when he has to (which is more than often), playing his famous cover defender role which he is best at. And in attack, have him play the tip-on, offload, pass-out-the-back role he did in 2009 and 2010 which saw him earn a recall to the Australian and NSW sides. None of his prop shit which he has never been, especially when we have Mannah, Allgood, Fui and Poore in the side.

And his defensive efforts have been there this year. Just this year he has been put in a different role and has played less minutes.