What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Merritt

BennyV

Referee
I like merrit a lot and think he's a really good player, my opinion he's better than the morris twins and boyd and probably uate too, that try he just scored against the warriors was outstanding. However, in origin nothing would worry me more than having a lightly built guy on the wing. They're just gonna get thrown over the sideline by the defense and fended into the grandstand when they try to defend. Your only hope would be if gi wanted him to do well and went easy on him.

And yet you claim he's better than Uate, Morris and Boyd? Kind of a contradiction there...

Really, other than the fact that he's latched onto the end of more tries than Morris and Uate, in what way's is he better? Not being a smartass either, its a serious question. Both of these guys break more tackle busts than Merritt, make more metres and more runs coming out of their own half, and Morris is certainly better in defense. You can't base it purely on tries scored - by that logic, Merritt is one of the best players of all time!

RedVDave

First Grade
I feel sorry for Merritt you can't honestly tell me that players like; Quinn, Turner and Williams were deserving than him. But at the moment I would say Hayne & Morris are ahead of him.

Tone83

Juniors
Better player for mine in that he's more cunning and crafty and skillfull, in attack he's not JUST a line faller over, all though a good percentage of his tries were gimmies he has displayed some outstanding ability here and there, like that try against the warriors, he has a few like that in his highlight reel, morris bros have none. Uate has a couple maybe but I feel merrit is the pick of them, just slightly. I feel he's gonna get the ball down over the line in situations where they wouldn't. I do agree morris is the better defender and uate will break more tackles, but I'd rather merrit as my club winger. He's gonna finish more reliably which is all you really need from him.

timka4

Bench
Merrit is like Jennings, great in open field but when there is a defensive line infront, not much can be done from then, although Jennings has evasiveness and the ability to draw players / offload.

Tone83

Juniors
Both are evasive players, another great evasive player (considerably greater) is barba and to be honest I don't see how he fits into origin either. Its not a small mans game.

BennyV

Referee
Better player for mine in that he's more cunning and crafty and skillfull, in attack he's not JUST a line faller over, all though a good percentage of his tries were gimmies he has displayed some outstanding ability here and there, like that try against the warriors, he has a few like that in his highlight reel, morris bros have none. Uate has a couple maybe but I feel merrit is the pick of them, just slightly. I feel he's gonna get the ball down over the line in situations where they wouldn't. I do agree morris is the better defender and uate will break more tackles, but I'd rather merrit as my club winger. He's gonna finish more reliably which is all you really need from him.

Removing my bias as a dragons supporter, this is a ridiculous statement. Last year in Origin Brett and Josh combined in the lead up for try from Josh(I think), including Brett breaking a 3 man tackle to streak away down the field. Have a look at Brett's highlights at the same time as Merritts - sure, Brett has a few gimmies, but more often than not he has to beat 2-3 defenders and will end up horizontal in order to get the ball down. Merritt has good speed and great support play, but Morris is all over him in his ability to beat the odds and find the tryline.

yobbo84

Coach
I like merrit a lot and think he's a really good player, my opinion he's better than the morris twins and boyd and probably uate too, that try he just scored against the warriors was outstanding. However, in origin nothing would worry me more than having a lightly built guy on the wing. They're just gonna get thrown over the sideline by the defense and fended into the grandstand when they try to defend. Your only hope would be if gi wanted him to do well and went easy on him.

Brett Morris: 183cm, 93kg
Nathan Merritt: 181cm, 90kg

Next.

Joker's Wild

Coach

You are having a laugh surely. Uate rarely scores from a catch and put down scenario. Most of his top level trys have involved him beating 2-3 defenders, sometimes up to 4 and carrying them over the line with him or just plain powering through them. He would have a much higher strike rate at these sorts of tries than Merritt

Joker's Wild

Coach
Nathan Merritt only falls over the line: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysE1OHHhE0M

Nathan Merritt doesn't stop tries: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XitFKYH1H_w

Any other excuses?

Any others apart from the one against the Warriors last week? Christ there aren't many

Lets have a look at 2011 for comparison

Merritt 2011
[youtube]W0weM9wRB_s[/youtube]

Uate 2011
[youtube]XRxJkW7EZk8[/youtube]

Merritt scores heaps but 95% of them are after all the work is done and he has a clear run to the line. Uates however leave him with plenty of work to do

royce10

Juniors
Any others apart from the one against the Warriors last week? Christ there aren't many

Merritt scores heaps but 95% of them are after all the work is done and he has a clear run to the line. Uates however leave him with plenty of work to do

Geez Uate steps sharply off both feet for a big fella.

In some of those situations, only in hindsight would you see a path through defenders but Uate sees it in real time.

RHCP

Bench
And overrunning the ball down the shortside.

Seems like the 'try scoring freak' (lol) couldn't do much against a good defensive side. Flat track bully indeed.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Another terrible game from Merritt tonight. Doesnt get involved, cant tackle and the king of the inexplicable knock-on. Terrible