What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

National Anthem appropriate before a club game?

National Anthem appropriate before a club game?

• Yes it is

Votes: 39 44.3%
  • No it's not

Votes: 49 55.7%

• Total voters

lockyno1

Post Whore
I would say NO. Only see the point in big games- test matches, etc. Only exception would be the Anzac Day match.

beave

Coach
It should be played before all NRL games, but internationals the players should be out on the field and singing along. We have played it up in Tvl before cowboys games for as long as I can remember. To the people harping on about the fact there are pacific islanders and so forth in every team, yep you are correct. But up here, they play it before the teams run out onto the field, so I couldn't give a rats if the cowboys were full of Ruskis and Frogs, it more for us the fans because up here at least, the players don't hear the thing. If I saw anyone sitting down during the anthem who wasn't
A) Elderley
or
B) Crippled/obviously injured

you would cop a gobful from me at the end of the anthem. Period. Though where I sit is in the upper stand, so if people can get up to their seats in my area, they can f%$king stand for 90 seconds and pay respect to our country. It is quite humbling going to the states and seeing every person in the stadium before an NFL game take their hats off (which is another thing that pi$$es me off when people don't take their hat off) and standing there so silent you could hear a pin drop and not yahooing and carrying on yelling out their teams name (which you see/hear time and time again during a minutes silence over here before games) and then singing the anthem with pride. We can bag the Yanks out all we like, but at least they show patriotism and pride in their anthem/flag. After reading some of the responses in here, it makes me angry and very sad at the attitude of some.

Callan Pk

Juniors
Not appropriate...there are a lot of kiwis, pacific islanders etc playing in the league now and this Aussie Anthem does not represent anything for them.

What country are they in?
If they dont like it, they can lump it.
Its a a special occasion, no dramas imo

beave

Coach
redneck, charming. Is that the best you can do, or you too busy smoking bongs with the rest of the hippies??? See, it is easy to stereotype, pity you couldn't be any further from the f$%ing truth.

God-King Dean

Immortal
You see... One of Australias core values is based on tolerating other people opinions/values/cultures etc.

Some people don't feel compelled to stand for the anthem, & may be there opinion that they don't have to... for whatever reason ... they are not breaking any laws.

Abusing people for not doing what you think is the right thing to do... lol, yeah, you're a real patriot. Sure making the country a better place.

beave

Coach
You see... One of Australias core values is based on tolerating other people opinions/values/cultures etc.

Some people don't feel compelled to stand for the anthem, & may be there opinion that they don't have to... for whatever reason ... they are not breaking any laws.

Abusing people for not doing what you think is the right thing to do... lol, yeah, you're a real patriot. Sure making the country a better place.

I couldn't be bothered arguing with you but I will say this, it's not about being a patriot, it's about showing respect for our country and the people who have fought and not returned in the past for this flag/country which have allowed you to have these so called "Values" that you get to so "FREELY" display.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Just because he loves his country doesn't mean he's a f**king redneck

No, he'd be a redneck for yelling abuse at someone for not sharing his beliefs.

gunning_for_panthers said:
fmd mate, we're living in AUSTRALIA so why the f**k shouldn't we have the AUSTRALIAN anthem playing.

First of all... find a quote where I said that... I bet you can't.

Dumbarse.

God-King Dean

Immortal
I couldn't be bothered arguing with you. It's not about being a patriot, it's about showing respect for our country and the people who have fought and not returned in the past for this flag/country which have allowed you to have these so called "Values" that you get to so "FREELY" display.

I think people should show respect. But I also think people don't deserve to be abused for not doing what other people think is right.

Part of the reason these people fought is so people could be free to do what they want. And people not standing for the anthem aren't breaking laws.

beave

Coach
You are totally right, there's no law stating you have to stand for the anthem, there's also no law that states you should open a door for an elderley lady, or if there is a pregnant woman on a bus standing and you giving up a seat for her, but hey, some of us do it out of respect and the fact we care, but hey, not all of us share the same values eh????????........

beave

Coach
I did say "gobful" (I would probably say some colourful words more so than yell), but I get your point. Agreed to disagree............

These are the in sequeance quotes from Nosir'rom Na'ed. Its funny when you read them but even funnier when read in context of the actual posts. I will admit right now to finding Nosir'rom Na'ed a nonsensical twat. Talk about a contradiction in sentiment & a very very very confined belief system.

Top 10 Nosir'rom Na'ed quotes worthy of the bullsh!t award of 2008 :

1) “People don't have to stand for the anthem”

2) “You see... One of Australias core values is based on tolerating other people opinions”

3) ‘Yet you abuse him”

4) “F*ck you're dumb”

5) “Don't get me wrong though, I think people should show respect for all things national”

6) “Calm down redneck”

7) “Dumbarse.”

8) “I think people should show respect”

9) “But I also think people don't deserve to be abused”

10) “No, he'd be a redneck for yelling abuse at someone for not sharing his beliefs”

:lol: if it wasnt so :shock:

lotti

Bench
You are totally right, there's no law stating you have to stand for the anthem, there's also no law that states you should open a door for an elderley lady, or if there is a pregnant woman on a bus standing and you giving up a seat for her, but hey, some of us do it out of respect and the fact we care, but hey, not all of us share the same values eh????????........

beave

Coach
it might not be a law but there are signs on buses and trains that certain seats are priority access and you should give them up if asked to.

there shouldn't have to be any signs, it should be ingrained into us to do it without having to be told or asked. It is also sad that over the PA before the anthem being sung the line "Now please stand for our National anthem" is spruiked but god knows if they didn't, some people would sit on their a$$ and think it is "Cool" to be different. With that reply Lotti, you sound like you are agreeing somewhat with Nosir'...... please say it isn't so.

With that reply Lotti, you sound like you are agreeing somewhat with Nosir'...... please say it isn't so.

No, she was simply confirming your point of view.

Not directed at you Beave, but some people on here need to back up from their attacks on Lotti, as most of them are either inappropriate responses or tenuous at best, in their comprehension of what she has posted.