What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

National Anthem appropriate before a club game?

National Anthem appropriate before a club game?

• Yes it is

Votes: 39 44.3%
  • No it's not

Votes: 49 55.7%

• Total voters

DeeGan

Bench
Where's the 'don't care either way' option?

I mean i don't care if they have it at the normal footy. But if it was on i will stand up and respect the national anthem.

My bad. Good point.

As for some of the comments, I get the feeling some believe one would be deemed to be "unpatriotic" for not thinking it was appropriate before an NRL club game. Please, give us all a break FFS.

The Americans as noted OVER DO IT when it comes to their National Anthem and I don't want us to tread the same path. It's often said today that we are becoming "too Americanised" and you could make an argument that this is an example right here.

"Get the f### out of my country!" :lol: Get some f###ing perspective on things. What a ridiculous comment. I am sure it was made for "shock value" and it made the poster feel like a hero - but geezus :lol:

The National Anthem I love, as one said, it gives me chills up the back of my neck when I hear it played - I just think playing it before a club game is a little over done. That's my opinion and one shared by quite a few. It makes me no less proud to be Australian than those voting for it having a place before an NRL club game.

Where does it end?

Should we be playing it before every Australian's tennis players match at the Australian Open too?

I have no problem with those who think it's appropriate either, I will stand for the anthem if it's being played, I again just see no sense in playing it at club level.

Thanks for the great responses here too just quietly ;-)

simostorm

Bench
It should be played before all NRL games, but internationals the players should be out on the field and singing along. We have played it up in Tvl before cowboys games for as long as I can remember. To the people harping on about the fact there are pacific islanders and so forth in every team, yep you are correct. But up here, they play it before the teams run out onto the field, so I couldn't give a rats if the cowboys were full of Ruskis and Frogs, it more for us the fans because up here at least, the players don't hear the thing. If I saw anyone sitting down during the anthem who wasn't
A) Elderley
or
B) Crippled/obviously injured

you would cop a gobful from me at the end of the anthem. Period. Though where I sit is in the upper stand, so if people can get up to their seats in my area, they can f%$king stand for 90 seconds and pay respect to our country. It is quite humbling going to the states and seeing every person in the stadium before an NFL game take their hats off (which is another thing that pi$$es me off when people don't take their hat off) and standing there so silent you could hear a pin drop and not yahooing and carrying on yelling out their teams name (which you see/hear time and time again during a minutes silence over here before games) and then singing the anthem with pride. We can bag the Yanks out all we like, but at least they show patriotism and pride in their anthem/flag. After reading some of the responses in here, it makes me angry and very sad at the attitude of some.

Yeah ok Hittler..

I will not stand for another anthem again..

Where do you sit usually? Ill come sit right in front of you.

Glenn

First Grade
Only play it for the International matches, playing it for club games,s.o.o etc is over using it and in effect diminishing the significance of the National Anthem IMHO.
As for those who choose not to stand for the anthem, very disrespectful to the country IMHO, but within their rights.

JTB

Juniors
If you are going to play the Australian national anthem, you will need to play the New Zealand, Tongan, Samoan, Lebanese and even Fijian anthem depending on who is playing and where their International allegiance lies.

It is NOT appropriate

innsaneink

Referee
If you are going to play the Australian national anthem, you will need to play the New Zealand, Tongan, Samoan, Lebanese and even Fijian anthem depending on who is playing and where their International allegiance lies.

It is NOT appropriate
Only if the game theyre playing is in New Zealand, Tonga, Samoa, Lebanon or even Fiji

Once Dead

Bench
We are in Australia, the majority are Australian by law.....therefore, be proud and accept the fact that some games will feature it.

JTB

Juniors
Only if the game theyre playing is in New Zealand, Tonga, Samoa, Lebanon or even Fiji

You must play the anthem of the nationality of all players playing in the game...its not where the game is played, its where the players in the game are from.

I remember I was at a speedway racecourse once...there was 1 new zealand driver...so they played both the aust anthem and nz anthem

Chapsta

Juniors
Its definitely not 'outrageous' that the anthem was played before those games. I dont wont to hear it become the norm, but that wont happen anyway.

Those people who say they would not stand up for the anthem, are just outright disrespectful IMO.

TeamSatan

Juniors
Do you people have the national anthem played everytime you turn up for your job ?

If i was representing my country i would think it was appropriate......otherwise whats the point.

Yesterday i saw some imbecile yell at someone who didnt stand...strangely silent after he was told " come and pick me up hero my knee is broken".

Play it at Australian games only.

innsaneink

Referee
You must play the anthem of the nationality of all players playing in the game...its not where the game is played, its where the players in the game are from.

I remember I was at a speedway racecourse once...there was 1 new zealand driver...so they played both the aust anthem and nz anthem
No.

If its an international contest between two or several nations, then yeh OK.

But yesterday wasnt.

meltiger

First Grade
never a bad thing to show respect to the country. I have no issues

It seems contrived at EVERY Storm game.

Though it's always interesting watching the Kiwi f**kwits showing absoloutely NO respect towards it at all.

They would be the first to scream is Aussies were chatting and laughing during the play of their anthem.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
My view is as long as the kickoff happens when it's scheduled to I don't care what they play or do beforehand.

Despite not being Australian when I'm at the games I'll stand silently. Doesn't hurt me to stand, no need to scream and shout during an anthem where no action is happening anyway.

There's always going to be people who are going to stay sitting or carry on, whether the be Australian, New Zealand or wherever. That's their choice and has no effect on me so I don't give it a second thought.

Slackboy72

Coach
Maybe we should do as Thailand do and play it at 6pm every day while everyone stands to attention and faces a portrait of the head of state.

The anthem should only be used for events of national importance and a club game is not that important. Test matches yes. SoO and below, no.

Callan Pk

Juniors
Maybe we should do as Thailand do and play it at 6pm every day while everyone stands to attention and faces a portrait of the head of state.

The anthem should only be used for events of national importance and a club game is not that important. Test matches yes. SoO and below, no.

How about the 100th anniversary of the game, to the day?
Itmay not be national importance, but its a special occ.

Slackboy72

Coach
How about the 100th anniversary of the game, to the day?
Itmay not be national importance, but its a special occ.

Would you play the national anthem at a wedding? That's a special occasion.
For christs sake people lets not become amercanised to the point where we deify these national icons to the point that they become kitsch and overexposed. I personally dislike seeing little kids at ANZSAC day marches waving flags like it's some kind of celebation of Australian military might. It disowns the meaning of the day and the importance of that flag to the individuals who died in service of Australia. The flag and the anthem mean something special and that something shouldn't be trotted out casually for the sake of revving up the crowd at an ordinary game of club footy.

I dont believe that to be correct. I also dont think the speedway example is anything to go by.

Where else has anyone recognised multiple anthems due to the nationality of all participants ?

Callan Pk

Juniors
A wedding is something totally different and youre taking it out of context.
I think you have an incorrect view on Anzac day too....
95 year old vets in wheelchairs and walking frames = military might, how skewed can you get?

Latest posts