What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NBA Season 2010-2011

Tiger Hawk

Bench
Florida has no state taxes so that's why a lesser value contract there wasn't a huge deal for either James or Bosh. They were worse off then the max offers both the Cavs and Raps made, but not massively so.

NY does have state taxes so it wouldn't be the same. But there would be massive marketing opportunities with Stoudemire (the whole "returning Knicks to glory" angle etc), so yes I could see Melo taking a couple mill less if he got to go home and made it up in other avenues. BUT, that's assuming the cap and CBA stay the same - they won't. Things will be traded off between the league and the PA and it's entirely possible the cap is set at a lower number. And / or it's a hard cap.

If everything was unchanged, I'd say right here that Melo would opt-out, sign with the Knicks for a bit less and that's that. But with the uncertainty, I'm not sure he's prepared to take the risk.

It's certainly going to be interesting. If I'm Melo, I sign the extenion right now, leave nothing to chance. $80m+ guaranteed is easily the best he's going to do. I think he's leaning that way, judging by his recent comments. Likewise, if I'm the Knicks, then I'm trading for him even if it costs me more than what I want - they've sold the fan-base on returning to respectability so they can't take the chance of a lock-out affecting any free agent hopes, or Melo signing elsewhere, or staying with Denver.

Melo for Curry, Fields, Chandler and a number 1 (or Randolph) plus $3m of Dolan's money and everyone's happy. Denver get Fields and Randolph / draft pick as building blocks, rights to match offers for Chandler (a decent player having a breakout season), cap relief, cash and if they can move Billups in combination with Andersen or Harrington (or both), then they'd have a bucket of money to play with as JR Smith and K-Mart also come off the books this year. Meanwhile the Knicks can build around Melo-STAT with Galinari and Felton providing support and hopefully another quality FA in 2012.

abpanther

Staff member
Warriors are playing really well lately, Curry and Ellis are a great combo and Udoh looks like a very good prospect

natheel

Coach
Watching the warriors bs hornets match now, I know it's been played earlier but havnt seen the end result yet. But warriors are turning the lead around quite nicely but gee are my team the hornets frustrating to watch at times!
Had a decent lead and looked like carrying on but end of the second quarter warriors are on a 27 - 12 point run and can't see it turning around tbh

Hornets can't won away from home it seems

Ahwell good game though

Tiger Hawk

Bench
A good article by Larry Coon (author of the current CBA FAQ website) outlining some risks facing Melo if he doesn't sign the extension:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=coon_larry&page=CarmeloFA-110216

I'd forgotten all about the potential of salary roll-backs. That's probably the first thing traded off by the players for something else - most likely maximum salaries or the franchise tag.

Add it all up and there's just no reason that Melo should take any risk. Sign the extension and deal with any issues later, ie try to force a trade in the future if you have to.

ByRd

First Grade
Lakers lose to the cavs, that has to e the final straw, I'm sure a move will be made before the deadline, pathetic effort

ByRd

First Grade
The whole game was just a disgrace (except Gasol who had 30/20) but they just showed no heart or any effort, i expect a move to be made by the trade deadline, we need a freaking PG

All of the Lakers, even Gasol, were guilty of leaving the lane wide open and allowing the Cavs to do what they wanted particularly in the 4th, atleast they have a break and can finally head home soon. I'm not sure what kind of trade they can make anyway that will fix their problems right now because it seems like it is heart and effort that's letting down, where they going to get another big man from? Suck it up for another year and trade for Howard is what I'd try and do.

ByRd

First Grade
Time to trade Kobe?

Kobe for Joe Johnson haha

I think we just might make a minor move, we need to upgrade at the PG position because Blake has been underwhelming the whole season, also i cant wait til Barnes is fit again.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
I'm surprised Blake is playing so poorly. I didn't expect him to be a world beater, but I did expect him to be an upgrade on Fisher. Hasn't worked out that way at all. They definitely need an upgrade there though. They shouldn't worry about Melo and instead try to land Billups. Career 40% 3pt shooter, money from the line, is big and smart and a good defender. Exactly what they need IMO. Of course, nothing to trade for him.

Last edited:
Time to trade Kobe?

lol, well...

Kobe, Artest, Barnes > Denver
Melo, Billups > Lakers

Free up salary cap space for LA to make a move for Howard next year and strengthens the point and get a scorer in Melo, Denver gets a slight upgrade on Melo but lose out on the point but Barnes is on a one year contract and Artest/Kobe combined are only slightly more than Melo/Billups, albeit 2 years longer, so they can still re-sign expiring contracts with cap space and a strong team. That all depends IF Kobe wants to be traded because as we know he has earned the no-trade clause. It pretty much kills off LA's chance of a 3peat and pretty much next year aswell but if they dangle out Bynum and can get Howard they have a considerable upgrade in centre, a younger scorer, a strong point guard, Gasol back to PF, Odom, Brown off the bench and can make a play for a better bench.

Not likely to happen in that specific scenarion but they did trade Shaq so anything is possible.

The 18th Man

Juniors
Now LA are trading away Kobe .... riiight. No chance. Ideas forwarded definately have merit, just can't see it happening.

ByRd

First Grade
lol Kobe is the least of our concerns, we dont need a major move. Having Barnes fit again will mean no Walton (Thank God) and he will sure up the bench, our biggest weakness is the PG position, Fisher should be coming off the bench at this point in his career and Blake has been a major disappointment, hopefully they can get something done.

betcats

Referee
The Lakers just arent the force they have been, Pau is a big pussy who needs to demand the ball sometimes and Kobe is a flat out chucker. Also there defense is poor.

Nth-Qld-Raider

Juniors
Derrick Rose you are a freak, career high 42 pts.

He's the best PG in the NBA, i didn't rate the Bulls earlier in the season, but i think once they get Noah back and if they can get a better SG than what they have now, during the trade deadline, or they should just play Ronnie Brewer at the 2, they can win the NBA.

Lakers will be ok when Dwight goes there in 2012 and then Magic may as well fold.

This Bulls team is definitely building towards something big but I think they're 12 months away from a strong run but I'd love to see them deep in the playoffs this year.

Derrick Rose is the leading contender for MVP in my mind, 25/8/4 and with the Bulls on his back at 38-16 and if he keeps his numbers and the Bulls keep to their 70% win he has to get it.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
Just a little flash on Sportscenter that Nets and Nuggets have agreed to a deal, however it hinges on Melo agreeing to signing an extension. Could be a leak to get the Knicks to up the ante but who knows at this stage.

Nth-Qld-Raider

Juniors
This Melo stuff is heating up thats for sure Tiger hawk, will be interesting to see what happens.

The big question is will Melo agree or disagree to an extension.

Latest posts