What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New beginnings.....

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
SMithy, is in the top 3 for coaches in the NRL, (with bennet and sheens) i seriously doubt anyoneelse could do better

Smartman

Juniors
TheEelsFanatic said:
SMithy, is in the top 3 for coaches in the NRL, (with bennet and sheens) i seriously doubt anyoneelse could do better

LOL you're kidding right?

How about Bennett, Murray, Sheens, Stuart, Folkes and Lang are all better than Smith.

Hes good and thats all.

Eelementary

Post Whore
He has one year left on his contract.

If he happens to win it well good.

But I very much doubt he will be head coach from 2007 and onwards.

And to answer your question - I don't care.

Don't care whether it's Brian Smith or John Doe. As long as we win the damned thing, I don't care.

_mUSASHI_

Juniors
Dont worry, we wont win next year either.

Can a new coach please apply to Parramatta Football Club.

Rod Reddy, Peter Sharp need not apply.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Mate, Brian isn't going anywhere.

I am of the same opinion - I don't think the Eels will win a Premiership under Brian Smith.

I'd dearly love for him to prove me wrong, and will support him until he no longer coaches the team.

But I don't think it will happen.

There have been major flaws with the system currently in place, and he and his staff haven't come up with answers.

On the plus side, next year will be Sharp's second full year as assistant cpach. Maybe he noticed something and can help fix the problem.

True EEL

Bench
well everyone is entitled to an opinion, but doesn't the phrase "give him one more year and see what he can do then with his last shot" ring in everyone's ears????

we were all saying that last off-season, particularly when he got all the new players

and by gee - they had a cracker of a year - but then turned up and embarrassed themselves, the coach, the CEO, the Club and most importantly the fans in a big game - YET AGAIN!!!!!!!!

is it just me or is following the EELS like living out your very own "Groundhog Day"

i'm sorry and blast me all you want - but if Brian had any balls he would just step aside and say enough is enough

"oh but what if he has a fairytale next year and goes out a winner?" well hello wasn't that what we all said for this season and wasn't it looking like happening again - when we again fell apart like a pack of chokers

i don't like laying blame and am not "out to get Smith" but let's be realistic - how on God's green earth does this keep happening to the same bloke at 2 different clubs, over two decades and with different players???

it's always happend with different bunches of players people - don't be so blind!!!!

Stagger eel

Staff member
as I've said on several occasions over the last few days, I would like Brian to see out his last year at the club as head coach working close with an understudy who will ultimately take over the reigns in 07....I'm hoping an announcement of this nature will be made in the next few months.

The Colonel

Immortal
eelavation said:
as I've said on several occasions over the last few days, I would like Brian to see out his last year at the club as head coach working close with an understudy who will ultimately take over the reigns in 07....I'm hoping an announcement of this nature will be made in the next few months.

It is looking like you will get a chance to see who our coach will be in 2007 fairly shortly True Eel. Yes we lost again. I know a lot of people will agree with you. We however have the same problem we have had in the past, a board who is happy to honour his contract. He is here regardless of what occurs until the end of next season however it does appear that change will start.....

True EEL

Bench
i would like to hear an announcement in the next few days that there is going to be an ussering in of the "winds of change" at Parramatta

i really really really do and it's not personal towards BS - as i have said throughout the year he has done a very good job - but yet again failed at the last step

and to those that say it's not everything to win a Grand Final - tell that to the players, Dennis and BS himself!!!!!!!!

i really feel bad for BS and can't imagine how he is feeling right now - i really can't but to be honest this sort of thing can't be healthy for him - maybe he should retire for a while and then come back and have one last crack - he needs tiem away from the game

it (i hate to say it) seems to have worked to a degree for Tim Sheens

True EEL

Bench
The Colonel said:
It is looking like you will get a chance to see who our coach will be in 2007 fairly shortly True Eel. Yes we lost again. I know a lot of people will agree with you. We however have the same problem we have had in the past, a board who is happy to honour his contract. He is here regardless of what occurs until the end of next season however it does appear that change will start.....

Colonel,

i understand about the board and wish they would change their minds

but other than that i honestly feel the ball is more in BS's court and he could resolve the sitation by working out some kind of retirement/resign package with the club - even the dreaded "Coaching Coordinator" scenario again

also, read my other latest post - i honestly feel it might be the best for Smithy and am not out to get him

Kornstar

Coach
I am happy to see Smith serve out his contract, i hear all these players saying how great a coach his is, how they do like him and stick by him! Well next year i want to see how much they respect and love Smith, i really do cause if they get to the same position and choke again then i am afraid they were lying all along, i know that sounds harsh but if you can't farewell a coach you "love" and is "misunderstood", then you didn't like that much to begin with, i am not saying we have to win it, i am just saying there needs to be some effort cause on Sunday there was about 20 minutes of effort and 60 minutes of complacency.

That is not a dig at Smith, it is a dig at the players, just so we are clear!

Stagger eel

Staff member
True EEL said:
and yes i saw that thread and have added my 2 cents worth, thanks

I'd like to ask you a hypatheitical if i may,

If you took the time and asked every contracted player at the club who would they rather play under and just about all of them said they would rather play another season under Brian...would you cop that?? if not why??

Suitman

Post Whore
eelavation said:

If you took the time and asked every contracted player at the club who would they rather play under and just about all of them said they would rather play another season under Brian...would you cop that?? if not why??

I said the same thing to Colonel the other day - its a stupid question.

What else are they going to say?

Suity

True EEL

Bench
eelavation said:

firstly, NO i wouldn't cop that

secondly, i wouldn't cop it because the players are not paying Brian Smith $400 K a year to coach them and there in the players are not running the club

the players are employees of the club, just like Brian

Stagger eel

Staff member
and what if several of them had clauses on their contract that states that they'll only play under Smith??

Suitman

Post Whore
Well, where do they go next year if Brians not coaching?

I'd say by now, most of them would stay no matter who gets appointed.

Suity

Latest posts