What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New beginnings.....

True EEL

Bench
Suitman said:
I said the same thing to Colonel the other day - its a stupid question.

What else are they going to say?

Suity

and add that to my comments

"yeah, i hate that coach who is contracted with us for another season".....?????

The Colonel

Immortal
Suitman said:
Well, where do they go next year if Brians not coaching?

I'd say by now, most of them would stay no matter who gets appointed.

Suity

I'm sure a few clubs would find room very quickly for a number of players on our roster. Hypothetically speaking of course.

It is unlikely to happen this year, particularly now. If a successor is appointed for 2007 early on next year I'd guess there would be a transistional period where Brian may take a back step towards the end of the season. And I'm sure the senior and core players would be consulted anyways on who the next coach would be.....

True EEL

Bench
eelavation said:
and what if several of them had clauses on their contract that states that they'll only play under Smith??

so be it......

although what Suity said kinda answers that question also

i'm not out to get Smithy - honestly - i just can't take something like what happened on Sunday again and i fear that it can and will happen again under BS

something has to change at the club

The Colonel

Immortal
True EEL said:

We all understand and are in the same boat. It is unlikely though that that change will happen in the time frame you want.....

True EEL

Bench
The Colonel said:
I'm sure a few clubs would find room very quickly for a number of players on our roster. Hypothetically speaking of course.

It is unlikely to happen this year, particularly now. If a successor is appointed for 2007 early on next year I'd guess there would be a transistional period where Brian may take a back step towards the end of the season. And I'm sure the senior and core players would be consulted anyways on who the next coach would be.....

i agree we need clarity on who the coach is, but.......

this type of proposed situation also creates disatisfaction IMHO

so in late 2005 or early 2006 we announce that Smithy is continuing as our coach in 2006 and "Fred Bloggs" is going to takeover as soon as he is done for 2007

doesn't this have the potential to create disharmony amongst the players and between the current coach and the players?

do i go all out this year and give it all for Smithy (and then maybe choke under some new gamplan in the big games - sorry all) or do i coast this year and then get into next year??

for mine even this opens up a Pandora's box of possibilities - i just think after what happened - yet again - we need a fresh start and a clean slate and i think BS does too

_mUSASHI_ said:
We will not win the Premiership in 2006. I dont acre if we go the whole year undefeated up until the GF, we will still lose.

We are incapable of winning the Premiership under Brian Smith. If JT can take our reggies to premiership Glory, BS should do the honourable thing and step aside.

Otherwise, it will be another year to forget.

well that where you and i differ. i dont consider this year a year to forget. i would like to forget one game maybe but definitely not the whole season. There were so many memorable and exciting games this year. You'd call a year undefeated, but without the trophey at the end a year to forget?!? :roll:

What did you expect from this team at teh start of the year musashi? did you think they'd be able to come together as a cohesive unit and claim a minor premiership? did you expect players like EGj, Widders, the Smiths to play so well? players like stringer, morrison and marsh to exceed all our expectations after extended time on the sidelines from injuries?

there are 30 weeks a year we get to be involved in the game we love. are you saying you'd prefer 29 of immemorable crap for that 1 week of success? Im assuming most of us follow this sport because we find it entertainting and interesting, and i know for myself that ONE loss at the end of a long successful year doesnt make it a forgettable year

True EEL

Bench
The Colonel said:
We all understand and are in the same boat. It is unlikely though that that change will happen in the time frame you want.....

and i understand what your saying - but the club is stuck in a time warp if that is the case - they need to take affirmative action and be proative in taking the club into the future

hey how was that for over-using buzz words!!!!!

Stagger eel

Staff member
True EEL said:
so be it......

although what Suity said kinda answers that question also

i'm not out to get Smithy - honestly - i just can't take something like what happened on Sunday again and i fear that it can and will happen again under BS

That's fine, and that's your call, as long as you realise the ramifications could be more severe than what you think and the club would have to begin a further re-building process which could take up to 3 seasons to rectify.

Suitman

Post Whore
eelavation said:
That's fine, and that's your call, as long as you realise the ramifications could be more severe than what you think and the club would have to begin a further re-building process which could take up to 3 seasons to rectify.

Or it could happen in 2 seasons or one season.

Who knows?

Suity

The Colonel

Immortal
Depends on how they do it I think. A new coach needs to be announced before next season - if they don't 2007 would be a write off if not done properly. You have a lot of talent coming off contract not just at Parramatta but at a lot of other clubs as well. With the Gold Coast coming in there will be big bickies flying around everywhere which has the potential to rip the core of your juniors and senior players out very quickly. At least if the coach is settled early decisions made on player retention and buying can be made.

Eelectrica

Referee
True EEL said:

so in late 2005 or early 2006 we announce that Smithy is continuing as our coach in 2006 and "Fred Bloggs" is going to takeover as soon as he is done for 2007

doesn't this have the potential to create disharmony amongst the players and between the current coach and the players?

I'd like too think everyone will pull together for one last hurrah. One more chance to win one for their coach they all love and respect.

True EEL said:

do i go all out this year and give it all for Smithy (and then maybe choke under some new gamplan in the big games - sorry all) or do i coast this year and then get into next year??

for mine even this opens up a Pandora's box of possibilities - i just think after what happened - yet again - we need a fresh start and a clean slate and i think BS does too

You see I am thinking the same thing, but then I go back to if the coach is JT. Now I know you all want a different coaching style as well, but JT is a different personality to Brian and that may be all that is needed "to effect the change that some believe is required to win a premiership". I am sure that JT would want to stamp his own uniqueness on the club if possible.

Shane Flanagan the same but then we will hear we have bought over the Roosters successfulness because he worked under Ricky, Even though Ricky wasn't of the belief that 2005 would be a re-building year for the Roosters ?

Either way though I can hear people talking about the specter of Brian Smith hanging over this club if within 4 years of getting a new coach we haven’t won the comp.

Kornstar

Coach
Brian Smith will cop a pounding from the media and alot of fans and alot of League lovers if Parra win a comp after he goes.....

If we win a comp within 2 or 3 years after Brian i will credit him to helping build that, all it will mean is that we had a coach who handled the finals a little better than Brian. I still think that he should be credited though, as i credited Murray to the Roosters 2002 success, he has to take some credit doesn't he? I am sure there are many others too, Michael Hagan and John Lang won premierships with clubs they had only coached for that year.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Kornstar said:
Brian Smith will cop a pounding from the media and alot of fans and alot of League lovers if Parra win a comp after he goes.....

If we win a comp within 2 or 3 years after Brian i will credit him to helping build that, all it will mean is that we had a coach who handled the finals a little better than Brian. I still think that he should be credited though, as i credited Murray to the Roosters 2002 success, he has to take some credit doesn't he? I am sure there are many others too, Michael Hagan and John Lang won premierships with clubs they had only coached for that year.

speaking of Michael Hagan, now there's a bloke who could well become available in 07!

Suitman

Post Whore
MarkInTheStands said:
And what would you like to see as part of the culture ?

Apart from Winning finals games.

It is the new ideas and enthusiasm that a new coach will bring that could give these players a new lease of life.
I'm not stupid enough to think that we are guaranteed a Premiership with a new coach, but it won't hurt trying, and after 9 and soon to be 10 years with this coach, I believe it is time for a completely new slate, not the same old same old.

Suity

True EEL

Bench
MarkInTheStands said:
And what would you like to see as part of the culture ?

Apart from Winning finals games.

winning finals games and just a different view on life and football other than through Brian Smith's eyes.....that's all

Brisbane needs it too - Wayne needs to hand over the reigns something chronic - veen though he at least has several titles to walk away with

True EEL

Bench
Suitman said:
It is the new ideas and enthusiasm that a new coach will bring that could give these players a new lease of life.
I'm not stupid enough to think that we are guaranteed a Premiership with a new coach, but it won't hurt trying, and after 9 and soon to be 10 years with this coach, I believe it is time for a completely new slate, not the same old same old.

Suity

thanks for adding all of that, so i don't have to type it also

The Colonel

Immortal
True EEL said:
Brisbane needs it too - Wayne needs to hand over the reigns something chronic - veen though he at least has several titles to walk away with

It is all about being stale. New air is needed in the place. Open the windows and let a fresh breeze in.

To be brutally honest I actually think (despite the previous year) Wayne Bennett has been worse than Brian Smith since 2000. The thing that has saved him though has been the fact they have always been in the eight. The way they have finished seasons has been nothing short of embarrassing....

Latest posts