What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New beginnings.....

pk76

Juniors
[QUOTE=eelavation]welcome on board and great first post pk!

I don't think Tim and Ben were a problem infact if you want to look at inexperiance in finals, look no further than the team who will be crowned premiers on Sunday night.

Fair point about the Tigers, however, both Tim and Ben were overwhelmed by the occassion along with many others!

I think by March of next year we will be much better prepared than we were the same time this year with several players who will represent our club on sunday on the verge of breaking into first grade and the competion for spots will be even more challenging, on the downside management will need to make some tough decision by June as they did this year but I have no doubt we'll be more than competative in first and Premier league. It's whether we withstand the pressure of finals footy that worries me but you can rest assure that who ever's there would of earnt their spot in the top grade.[/QUOTE]

Yes I agree with that. My earlier point being injury AND form permitting, we will have a largely unchanged team. Brian will continue to blood younger players. I just don't think he will gamble the way he did this year with the halves. (mind you, he nearly (yet, so farrrr), pulled it off)

IMO Next year will be about consolidating the progress we made (yes I know, many of you would be retorting 'what progress').

Suitman

Post Whore
strider said:
f**king oath it was a piss off.....I was off my nut over it....but then our guys don't ake advantage hardly at all :roll:

That's what I don't understand Strides.
If you and I (and no doubt countless others) can see it, why don't those in control see it and try and do something about it??

And by those in control, I mean people both on and off the field.

Suity

pk76

Juniors
strider said:
I'm not trying to argue with anyone or anything....I just can't see there being any captaincy change cos I don't see an alternative.

I'd like our captain to be on the field 80 mins - but that'd just leave a back, of which I don't know if any are up for it (maybe McKinnon? - I think he could, tho I don't really know his personality)....or an 80 min forward - Hindy or Morro.

Good point again. Maybe Morro may have just enough mongrel in him, even though I prefer Piggy.

strider

Post Whore
Suitman said:
That's what I don't understand Strides.
If you and I (and no doubt countless others) can see it, why don't those in control see it and try and do something about it??

And by those in control, I mean people both on and off the field.

Suity

I have seen games where we do push the rules a bit....but not that often...there are teams that sail so close to the wind ALL the time....we we seem to do it on and off and probably more off than on.

I don't know - maybe I am biased and don't think we stretch the rules like other teams do???

I think Nth Qld did it very well against us on the weekend tho - they did it when we stood up (not on the ground) - which is not the usual way of doing it these days, these days its all about wrestling on the ground.....and I think Graham Murray got a tactic that slipped under the referee's radar.

Suitman said:
That was obvious. It was the intention of the Cowboys to go out and slow our game down and they did it to perfection.
I picked up on it after about 10 minutes and it pissed me off big time for the rest of the game.

Suity

Did you notice Clarke constantly calling that we were "milking it" and "their not going to get it" in the call or on ears.

Kornstar

Coach
I re-watched the game last night, it was painful but i had to see it on TV and not just at the ground.

As much as this pains me to say it, Ben Smith was terrible, he was definately overwhelmed, John Morris went missing for almost the whole game, Our forwards were pathetic, absolute jokes they were, Vella is the only one that can stand up and say he tried!!!

Tahu, Grothe, Burt and McKinnon tried their best, Tahu and Grothe were our best!!

Although Timmy may not have been at his best he was certainly not bad, he tried plenty to get us in that game, just the last pass was always dropped!!

It was certainly not our game though, nothing went right for us, the kick to Grothe, although it was a little high and deep it was still catchable, just no luck, there was a kick by Timmy that if it didn't hit the post it was coming around very good from where i was sitting, instead just hitting the post and going out on the full!!

Our bench was basically ineffective, Marsh tried hard as did Widders but they just couldn't produce any magic like they have so many times this year.....

The 2 tries before half time were the turning point though, Jensen's try was appauling, he ran through our markers and fullback like they were nothing, he didn't even have to work for that try and it should have been impossible to score that try from where he came from, same as Firman, the gap that we left was bull$hit, our forwards did not measure up.

As for Caylo, i think the only way he will not be captain is if he himself stands down, Smithy will not take it off him, however the new coach in 07 may very well have different idea's.

I am looking forward to seeing all these boys make up for it next year though, they have a massive point to prove and i think they will be hungry to prove to us fans that they can do it.

strider

Post Whore
yeah timmy did ok....but i think he still got a bit over excited by teh situation.....i mean the kick to grothe - 9 times out of 10 it hits the wide open winger on the chest during the regular season, but with a little extra adrenalin and rushed a little, its about 2 metres too long - catchable, but not the accurate kick we were used to.....but at least he was trying stuff....next time he'll hit him on the chest.

Stagger eel

Staff member
we simply didn't deserved to be there, we definetly had it within our selves to produce the goods but just didn't turn up as a unit.

You know! had 2 or 3 of them been off their game, we probably would of been able to cover for it, as we did throughout the season but unfortunatly about 12 of them decide to bundy off at 4pm.

Kornstar

Coach
Maybe the Jim Beam cup being on before the game didn't help either really, if the P/L had of been on in it's rightful place then the boys could have watched our P/L players win and walk past them and the enthusiasm could have rubbed off but because they won like 2 hours before it would have been exciting at the time but it would have gone away by the time the game started and then they would have had more time to think and more pressure added.

I know that may sound dumb and a stretch, but i am not using this an excuse just more of a theory cause i really think it was dumb the way they had the games organised for Sunday!!!! Plus the Flegg boys winning 2 nights earlier as well, all the First Grade boys had too much time to think about the pressure that was on them to make it in all 3 grades, on a normal game day they usually don't have that kind of time to think about what has happened prior cause they run out after the P/L has finished.......

Redback71

First Grade
put it this way as much as i hATE not making the gf, id prefer to make the finals and not make the gf than to miss out on the finals all together like we have the last 2 years.

and how good was it being minor premiers and reclaiming club championship and seeing hindiy with sheild and gallop.

Bigfella

Coach
Re the comments about dominant tackles; I didn;t have sport ears but noticed that Clarke called "surrender" very frequently on us.

This could potentially be the issue that decides the grand final. Mander has publicly stated that he believes the tigers surrender extensively. Sheens has asked for a conference with him before the game.

IMHO this will determine the result. If the COwboys are allowed to play the game like they did on Sunday they will probably bustle the Tigers out of it then capitalize. If the game is paced anywhere near like it was when they played last the scoreline will be even bigger the Tigers way. That's my two bobs worth anyway.

The Colonel

Immortal
Actually I'd rather the Cowboys win. The arrogance shown by a number of Tigers supporters is really getting up my nose. Simon says, innsaneink and a number of others are doing themselves no favours. I think they may go on to rival the likes of melon and Rooster Cogburn and many other Roosters fans given the opportunity.

Graham Murray and Mitch Sargent are ex-Parra boys....... C'arn the Cowboys.

Latest posts