What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New beginnings.....

scottyeel

Bench
eelavation said:
speaking of Michael Hagan, now there's a bloke who could well become available in 07!
Heaps of Knights fans bag the hell out of him and reckon he only won 2001 because of Warren Ryan, so maybe he could come and win because of Brian Smith.

Kornstar

Coach
Maybe we can swap Bennett and Smith???? We could then get Lockyer!!!, imagine Timmy and Locky???? That would be too lethal!!!

Ok i am dreaming, but it is a nice dream isn't it?

pk76

Juniors
Hi Guys!

My first post so go easy on me.

I am disappointed (moderate-severely depressed on Sunday) just like every Parra supporters. I won't watch the NRL final because it HURTS. However I do agree that we need to look at this season in perspective, given that not many of us expected our team to be a Minor Premier.

My two cents regarding Brian Smith. I think he is a very good coach and he deserves the final year of his contract. What happens after 2006, I am sure, will be vigoriously debated throughout the course of next year.

My bet is that we are going to see mostly unchanged line-up in 2006. Some posters are proposing for younger guys to replace Burt, etc, however, I think the coaching staff will stick with the current squad (injury-permitting)because ONE reason for the disgusting effort on Sunday is inexperience (Tim and Ben Smith). Do you realistically think the coaching staff will risk another final series with vastly inexperienced players?? ( I do agree that we do need a new captaincy and leadership group).

So expect something similar next year and hopefully a different outcome!

Eelementary

Post Whore
pk76 said:
Hi Guys!

My first post so go easy on me.

I am disappointed (moderate-severely depressed on Sunday) just like every Parra supporters. I won't watch the NRL final because it HURTS. However I do agree that we need to look at this season in perspective, given that not many of us expected our team to be a Minor Premier.

My two cents regarding Brian Smith. I think he is a very good coach and he deserves the final year of his contract. What happens after 2006, I am sure, will be vigoriously debated throughout the course of next year.

My bet is that we are going to see mostly unchanged line-up in 2006. Some posters are proposing for younger guys to replace Burt, etc, however, I think the coaching staff will stick with the current squad (injury-permitting)because ONE reason for the disgusting effort on Sunday is inexperience (Tim and Ben Smith). Do you realistically think the coaching staff will risk another final series with vastly inexperienced players?? ( I do agree that we do need a new captaincy and leadership group).

So expect something similar next year and hopefully a different outcome!

Welcome, friend!

And good first post!

Stagger eel

Staff member
welcome on board and great first post pk!

I think the coaching staff will stick with the current squad (injury-permitting)because ONE reason for the disgusting effort on Sunday is inexperience (Tim and Ben Smith). Do you realistically think the coaching staff will risk another final series with vastly inexperienced players?? ( I do agree that we do need a new captaincy and leadership group).

I don't think Tim and Ben were a problem infact if you want to look at inexperiance in finals, look no further than the team who will be crowned premiers on Sunday night.

I think by March of next year we will be much better prepared than we were the same time this year with several players who will represent our club on sunday on the verge of breaking into first grade and the competion for spots will be even more challenging, on the downside management will need to make some tough decision by June as they did this year but I have no doubt we'll be more than competative in first and Premier league. It's whether we withstand the pressure of finals footy that worries me but you can rest assure that who ever's there would of earnt their spot in the top grade.

Prodigal Eel

Juniors
If i was brian, and we made the finals next yr i would sit my team down, and say...look boys, knowing my record in finals time we are goin to choke...so u might as well go out and have some fun, at least go out laughing!
Might just work lol

The Speach that I hear works a treat in the finals is.

You run out there and smash them, bash them beat them do what ever you have to win, because if you lose it is not worth coming back into these sheds.

strider

Post Whore
pk76 said:
...( I do agree that we do need a new captaincy and leadership group).

who do u reackon would make a good captain?

I am unsure if Hindy wants it even if he's teh obvious choice for leader....altho he seems to be changing and being more public etc these days.

Who else? Morro? Piggy?....I really don't know who else.

And I ma not sure if anyone would want to take it from Caylo - I think he is well respected - might feel strange taking the captaincy from him.

Eelementary

Post Whore
strider said:

I am unsure if Hindy wants it even if he's teh obvious choice for leader....altho he seems to be changing and being more public etc these days.

And I ma not sure if anyone would want to take it from Caylo - I think he is well respected - might feel strange taking the captaincy from him.

Cayless is respected - as well he should be.

But I don't think he's the man for the job.

Take Sunday - I noticed (and a few freinds noticed too; believe it or not, somehwere in his home, he has a sheet of paper proving this) that the Cowboys were deliberately slowing our play the ball down, using all sorts of tactics. All this whilst they played the ball extremely quickly. The stats my friend got showed that the average play the ball times were quite different.

I don't remember the Cowboys making so many dominant tackles.

Did Cayless have a word to the ref, pointing this out? I don't think so.

We need someone who would do that - not whinge per se, but point out that they were getting away with murder.

Also, someone talkative and who leads through inspiration as well as example.

Caylo is too quiet for mine.

strider

Post Whore
Eelementary said:
Cayless is respected - as well he should be.

But I don't think he's the man for the job.

Take Sunday - I noticed (and a few freinds noticed too; believe it or not, somehwere in his home, he has a sheet of paper proving this) that the Cowboys were deliberately slowing our play the ball down, using all sorts of tactics. All this whilst they played the ball extremely quickly. The stats my friend got showed that the average play the ball times were quite different.

I don't remember the Cowboys making so many dominant tackles.

Did Cayless have a word to the ref, pointing this out? I don't think so.

We need someone who would do that - not whinge per se, but point out that they were getting away with murder.

Also, someone talkative and who leads through inspiration as well as example.

Caylo is too quiet for mine.

So who do u think would be the replacement?.....given we go with basically the same lineup.

Caylo used to be very talkative as captain, but he stopped it - intentionally - I remember reading an article at the start of the year that he would do less talking.

I just don't know who else would be the captain of our team.

pk76

Juniors
strider said:

Yes good point. Even though Hindy seems to be changing, as you suggested, given his fatherhood I don't think he will be ready for captaincy next year.

My 'out of the left field' suggestion is Piggy. He is an extrovert who may successfully complement caustious and reflective Brian Smith. I think Piggy may be the larrikin in the classroom of Mr Smith, if you know what I mean.

There is no doubt that Caylo is well respected. Caylo will be a major part of Leadership even if there is a change in captaincy (which I doubt). I just feel that we need a VOCAL and FLAMBOYANT onfield leader to complement our playing style.

Eelementary

Post Whore
strider said:
So who do u think would be the replacement?.....given we go with basically the same lineup.

Caylo used to be very talkative as captain, but he stopped it - intentionally - I remember reading an article at the start of the year that he would do less talking.

I just don't know who else would be the captain of our team.

No mate - you make a very good point.

I myself don't know who would be skipper.

Morrison would be good - but does he get respect from the refs I am not sure.

Riddell too - but he can't play 80 minutes, and then we're back to square one.

McKinnon could be a good choice - he's talkative, and I could really see him speaking to referees when he felt that they were having a Barry.

Wags also occassionally speaks to refs, but he's too nice - there's a difference between respect for the ref and being nice.

If things aren't going your way, the captain is entitled to politely have a word with the ref - Joey did it against us at Parramatta Stadium, telling the ref to referee the match as he saw fit, and not to listen to the crowd.

Suitman

Post Whore
Eelementary said:

That was obvious. It was the intention of the Cowboys to go out and slow our game down and they did it to perfection.
I picked up on it after about 10 minutes and it pissed me off big time for the rest of the game.

Suity

strider

Post Whore
I'm not trying to argue with anyone or anything....I just can't see there being any captaincy change cos I don't see an alternative.

I'd like our captain to be on the field 80 mins - but that'd just leave a back, of which I don't know if any are up for it (maybe McKinnon? - I think he could, tho I don't really know his personality)....or an 80 min forward - Hindy or Morro.

strider

Post Whore
Suitman said:
That was obvious. It was the intention of the Cowboys to go out and slow our game down and they did it to perfection.
I picked up on it after about 10 minutes and it pissed me off big time for the rest of the game.

Suity

f**king oath it was a piss off.....I was off my nut over it....but then our guys don't ake advantage hardly at all :roll:

Latest posts