What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New NRL commission as News Ltd plans to exit game

Should John Howard chair the NRL commission?

• Total voters

retch

Juniors
link...:sarcasm:

Former prime minister John Howard may chair NRL commission

By Phil Rothfield
The Daily Telegraph
October 07, 2009 12:01am
0,,7040942,00.jpg
Former prime minister Johh Howard is known to be a rugby league supporter and St George-Illawarra fanatic.

FORMER prime minister John Howard has been secretly approached by league officials to become the game's most powerful figure.

As part of a radical blueprint to overhaul the current structure of the game, Mr Howard has been asked to be inaugural chairman of an independent commission to run the NRL.
The Daily Telegraph reports that Mr Howard, 70, was sounded out recently by Gold Coast Titans boss Michael Searle, who is leading an NRL club committee to establish the commission with eight directors.

Mr Howard, a league supporter and St George-Illawarra fanatic, is currently in the US.
A spokesman said last night: "Mr Howard has no comment to make other than to say that he has always been interested in rugby league and has the best interests of the game at heart."
It is understood Mr Searle is pushing for the former prime minister because he is seen as a distinguished, statesman-like figure with no ties to any faction.

It is believed the push for Mr Howard will meet with some opposition because some influential figures believe the retired PM may be too old for the role.
Mr Howard would be the only appointee to the board.
The other directors would be from nominations who would go through an election process among club and state delegates.
Mr Howard has a strong knowledge of league and is not allied with either co-owners News Ltd (publisher of news.com.au) or the Australian Rugby League, neither of which would be represented on the commission.

The commission is being mooted to resolve the game's complicated ownership issues and the fractious set-up between the NRL, the ARL, the NSWRL, the Country Rugby League and the Queensland Rugby League.
It is proposed all would merge and operate under the Howard-led independent commission, identical to the AFL's senior management structure.

Many senior figures at club level believe the game's development has been stymied by its unwieldy structure and "blazer brigade" culture created by too many controlling bodies.
Now, with the game at the crossroads ahead of crucial upcoming TV rights negotiations and ambitious expansion plans into the Central Coast and southeast Queensland, they want a commission to unify the code.

NRL chief executive David Gallop last night lent his support to approaching Mr Howard.
"I was made aware of it in some discussions I had recently," he said. "I'll just say this: to have someone of his high profile and passion involved in the game would be handy."

TimmyB

Juniors
Hated the bastard's politics with a passion. However, having such a powerful figure at the helm of the commission could only be a good thing imo.

bartman

Immortal
f**k no... I thought we'd finally seen the end of this dinosaur when he was voted out of his own seat!

The guy's 70 years old, not the type of chairman material I'd be happy with. :?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-to-overhaul-nrl/story-e6frexnr-1225783525932

Former PM John Howard asked to overhaul NRL

524378-john-howard.jpg

Can he save the NRL? ... former prime minister John Howard. Source: The Daily Telegraph

FORMER prime minister John Howard has been secretly approached by league officials to become the game's most powerful figure.

As part of a radical blueprint to overhaul the current structure of the game, Mr Howard has been asked to be inaugural chairman of an independent commission to run the NRL.
The Daily Telegraph can reveal that Mr Howard, 70, was sounded out recently by Gold Coast Titans boss Michael Searle, who is leading an NRL club committee to establish the commission with eight directors.
Mr Howard, a league supporter and St George-Illawarra fanatic, is currently in the US.
A spokesman told The Daily Telegraph last night: "Mr Howard has no comment to make other than to say that he has always been interested in rugby league and has the best interests of the game at heart."

It is understood Mr Searle is pushing for the former prime minister because he is seen as a distinguished, statesman-like figure with no ties to any faction.
He is also a figurehead many believe would be the unifying force the game needs and the man to help ward off the AFL's multi-million-dollar assault on league's heartland in Sydney's west.
It is believed the push for Mr Howard will meet with some opposition because some influential figures believe the retired PM may be too old for the role.
Mr Howard would be the only appointee to the board; the rest would be nominated and go through an election process among club and state delegates.
Mr Howard has a strong knowledge of league and is not allied with either co-owners News Ltd (publisher of The Daily Telegraph) or the Australian Rugby League, neither of which would be represented on the commission.
The commission is being mooted to resolve the game's complicated ownership issues and the fractious set-up between the NRL, the ARL, the NSWRL, the Country Rugby League and the Queensland Rugby League.
It is proposed all would merge and operate under the Howard-led independent commission, identical to the AFL's senior management structure.

Many senior figures at club level believe the game's development has been stymied by its unwieldy structure and "blazer brigade" culture created by too many controlling bodies.
Now, with the game at the crossroads ahead of crucial upcoming TV rights negotiations and ambitious expansion plans into the Central Coast and southeast Queensland, they want a commission to unify the code.
NRL chief executive David Gallop last night lent his support to approaching Mr Howard.
"I was made aware of it in some discussions I had recently," Mr Gallop said.
"I'll just say this: to have someone of his high profile and passion involved in the game would be handy.
"I get briefed from time to time on the proposals for the commission but it is something being driven by the clubs and I haven't been involved in any discussion with John Howard."
Mr Gallop would remain as the NRL chief executive and still wield the day-to-day power.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Holy crap. Could be a very good thing. Rugby league would certainly gain some respect with him at the helm, even internationally.

I can't imagine him having to do media conferences excusing players for having crapped in hotels though.

Perth Red

Post Whore
He's 70, is it the best we can do?

"and ambitious expansion plans into the Central Coast and southeast Queensland" What plans???

Perth Red

Post Whore
I nominate his mate on the right as deputy! Seriously he is a bumbling old buffoon, can you imagine the interviews. As if Gallops ummhs and ahhhs are not bad enough!

bush_and_john_howard_santa_clara.jpg

Danish

Referee
I actually dont see a worry with it. He is an absolute league tragic and he certainly seemed to do a good enough job running the country for over a decade.

Would be bloody hilarious for all those labour voters who follow the NRL too :lol:

fourplay

Juniors
If there is one thing John Howard knows it's leadership.

He will also have a commission of 8 other directors. It would be great to have someone with his skills, profile and connections to lead the NRL into a new era.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
If there is one thing John Howard knows it's leadership.

He will also have a commission of 8 other directors. It would be great to have someone with his skills, profile and connections to lead the NRL into a new era.
Agreed. He would be a huge asset to the game.

Ridders

Coach
This actually excites me tbh. How much worse can he be than the leadership we've become accustomed to?

Last edited:

thuggdogg

Juniors
Guys,
he was good enough to lead tha nation,
he will be good enough to lead tha NRL.

former prime minister....honestly guys you cannot get better than that?

Y'all still complaining?

cmon.

18to87

Coach
Guys,
he was good enough to lead tha nation,
he will be good enough to lead tha NRL.

former prime minister....honestly guys you cannot get better than that?

Y'all still complaining?

cmon.

I agree, this would be a step in the right direction for the game.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
This would be a massive coup for the game. I vote Labor every election possible, but John Haward can not be ignored for his leadership and his business know how. Plus, a man with his connections through out the government, we could get some serious funding for what we need.

He could also call a few mates left in Canberra and get them to stop funding the AFL for their stadium in NSW that NSW doesnt want.