What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New NRL commission as News Ltd plans to exit game

Should John Howard chair the NRL commission?

• Total voters

gregstar

Referee
unless i can be assured that he will use his power to benefit saints, i cannot support the proposal.

roopy

Referee
We need a Frank Lowie type to run league - not yet another old has been and a bunch of cronies sucking more lifeblood out of the game - we already have dozens of them.

Parra

Referee
At least all that money the libs spent to invent that image wasn't wasted, was it Mick.

I knew someone swallowed that sh*te, I am just glad the constituents in Howards seat weren't that gullible.

Loudstrat

Coach
can't see what harm he could do
I cannot see what harm he COULDNT do!

Howard would only be marginally better than John Ribot running the game. Howard is a self serving dinosaur who couldn't move aside when his time had passed.

Given that the commission is supposed to put RL first and rid ourselves of those that cannot put themselves aside - Fitzy, Murdoch, Delmedge, Arko, Ribot type people, why we want an older, shorter, racist version is beyond me!

Parra

Referee
Last time league was booming it needed "saving" as well according to News Ltd.

Look what happened - put the sport back at least 10 years.

Now it is back strong again, and News Ltd time is almost up, it needs "saving" again.

What a crock.

gong_eagle

First Grade
News ltd selling their share could be a good thing, only thing they need to take Gallop with them

Goddo

Bench
Like the big banks that are going sh!thouse at the moment due to no control and the fact that every bank has extraordinary provision for doubtful debts and write offs due to overly aggressive lending?...you mean those CEO's who put their companies into sh!t....

No thanks....and on top of that..none of them would get involved if it meant a sh!tload of work..they all want cushy board of director jobs and thats it.

And thirdly...they'll ask for massive salaries and bonuses...again..no thanks

Looking at your posts, you must really love John Howard. He isn't the worst option, but not far off. We need someone with a national identity like Howard, but a unifying figure rather than divisive one. That and he is definately too old. How old will he be in 2013 when he takes the position? 75? How long can he reasonably do his job at that age?

Do you know anything about the financial industry? The Australian banks aren't "going sh*thouse". eg, Commonwealth shares are just under $50 (from low of $28 in January, God I wish I bought more)!

Have you ever met a bank executive? Australians big four banks are rated in the top 10 banks in the world at the moment, due to the fact they are well regulated and have excellent management. Part of the reason the recession hasn't hit so hard here, along with stimulus spending and the resource sector doing okay due to China.

On Salary, what do you think Howard will ask for when he is currently getting $100,000 for one hour speaches in America? He would parady a bank executive in terms of salary.

Blind Freddy

Juniors
It's getting people from around the country talking about Rugby League. Whether if it's true or not its been a great publicity move by the NRL in the "cold war"

_Johnsy

Referee
I despise this man from a political perspective. Those who had wondered into the four corners forum will be clear exactly how much I despise this merkin.

However, I would be prepared to see what develops, I can understand why they have chosen him (judgment & discernment), they are not looking for a long term appointment. IMO they want a person who has the ability to set rigid structures in place and develop a clear picture of where we need to go and how we are going to get there. I am also sure they already have a person in mind to take over from honest john, after his term.

MSIH

Bench
First thing he'll do is deport all polynesians.

A Whites only NRL? No thanks.

_Johnsy

Referee
Lets remember this not a political appointment, it is the head of an independent commission. He is a league tragic, so even I'd be prepared to see what his visions for the game are.

Godz Illa

Coach
I hate the merkin but it's a pretty interesting idea and it might work, if he's still lucid and has his wits about him. Similar to Major League baseball appointing that old judge as commissioner following the Black Sox scandal. I'm open to it

Lets remember this not a political appointment, it is the head of an independent commission. He is a league tragic, so even I'd be prepared to see what his visions for the game are.

Yeah but he has his political views regardless. He's rabid liberal like Keating is rabid labor. How is he going to get along with people like a John Brown (think he's on the Bulldogs board) for instance? I think the merkin is too polarizing. Also, his failure to counter measure Rudd's high speed internet policies showed how old he was and helped lead to his demise. Howard is probably the biggest dinosaur in the country.

That said, he would have friends in high places I guess.

PS
League tragics don't go to Rugby games besides, he's a cricket tragic isn't he?

aussies1st

Staff member
No harm in trying as said before. He would be exactly what we need to stop AFL and their take over of Sydney.

Latest posts