What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New NRL commission as News Ltd plans to exit game

Should John Howard chair the NRL commission?

• Total voters

Moffo

Referee
im not sure if losing news will be all its cracked up to be....does anyone here actually understand how much money they tip into the game?

even if we lose news, we will still be pussy whipped by whatever networks pay for the rights...see a sport called AFL in need

griff

Bench
im not sure if losing news will be all its cracked up to be....does anyone here actually understand how much money they tip into the game?

even if we lose news, we will still be pussy whipped by whatever networks pay for the rights...see a sport called AFL in need

what do you mean? They don't tip money into the game. They purchase TV rights (at well under what they are worth) and take a net $3m out of the game on top of that.

El Diablo

Post Whore
go away Ribot

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,26184188-2722,00.html

John Ribot seeks summit on NRL future

Brent Read | October 09, 2009
Article from: The Australian

JOHN Ribot, one of the architects of the Super League war and now a member of the Queensland Rugby League, has called for a summit involving the game's powerbrokers in an attempt to fast-track the formation of an independent commission.

Ribot, also a former chief executive of Brisbane and chairman of Melbourne, would like the meeting to be held as early as next week. While that appears unlikely given the short notice, Ribot insists only a face-to-face meeting involving the game's key stakeholders can remove the remaining obstacles to the formation of an independent commission.

"The parties have got to get together," Ribot said.

"I would like to see it happen next week. It should be a priority for our game. That's a personal point of view and I think that's the QRL view.

"Queensland want it to happen. I would love to get the stakeholders together. I think that's important for the game."

Although work has been going on behind the scenes for more than a year, the push to have the game ruled by an independent commission has gained prominence in recent days following revelations that former prime minister John Howard had been approached to be a member of the inaugural body.

The Australian subsequently revealed prominent businessmen including BHP Billiton chairman Don Argus had been mooted as potential commission members.

The appointment of possible commissioners, however, is contingent on the game's owners - the Australian Rugby League and News Limited (publisher of The Australian) - reaching agreement. Both parties have already indicated they would be happy to relinquish control of the game provided the right model can be found.

While Ribot believes the fastest way to make that happen would be to call a summit, ARL chief executive Geoff Carr last night claimed that suggestion had the potential to make the process more convoluted.

"It's an issue for the Australian Rugby League board and Ribes is not on that," Carr said.

"The board have to look through it. Queensland are well represented on that board. You can get a whole lot of people at a summit.

"They can have a whole lot of ideas. At the end of the day it's the board's decision to make."

Ribot insists he is in favour of an independent commission despite reports suggesting he is one of the stumbling blocks to its formation. He couldn't have been more emphatic when asked whether he believed an independent commission was the way to go.

"The QRL are very pro-independent commission," Ribot said.

"We believe that is the way the game has to go. We're totally committed to making it happen. I hope good sense prevails and we can get agreement in-principle for it to happen in a year or two years.

"Then we can really start concentrating on the major issues going forward: television rights, development of the game.

"Having the game back in the hands of a totally independent body I think would be sensational for the game."

Ribot also reinforced his belief that everything should be done to ensure the Melbourne Storm remained an integral part of the competition. Should News Limited withdraw from the game, it is believed the organisation would also look to divest itself of its interest in the Storm.

Bulldogs legend Steve Mortimer called on the Victorian government to buy a stake in the Storm and Ribot stressed the club was an important player in rugby league's future.

Melbourne's importance to the game was rammed home last weekend when the grand final - involving Storm and Parramatta - outrated its AFL equivalent.

"No one would suggest Melbourne shouldn't be in the league," Ribot said.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Why anyone would give two knobs of goat sh*t what John Ribot has to say is beyond me. He did more than any other individual to seek to destroy our great game for his own personal benefit. On this rare occasion, however, I agree with him, although reading between the lines, there is yet again a subtext of Queensland vs NSW in that article.

Brutus

Referee
The end of that horrid Colin Love reading out representative teams would be another benefit of an independent commisssion.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
How is what I said crap? There are facts that back it up. Counter argue with facts or otherwise shut it :eek:

Let's be honest here. It's faceless bureaucrats that run the economy plus the reserve bank, not the politicians. Fact is - Australia had a massive resources boom, the biggest in history, in Howard's time. On this basis, they didn't really achieve anything - just watched the good times roll. Always remember with Honest John: (1) GST - never, ever ,ever; (2) "there are core and non-core promises". Politicians are opportunists and self-promoters - not the talented pasionate business people you need to manage rugby league.

THis is why David Gallop, a News Limited stooge, and Love/Carr plus the CRL dinosaurs have to go. They have had a good ride on reh gravy train and contributed zero.

Geoff Dixon? Look at Qantas' status under his helm. It's a basket case.

This is a massive chance to re-establish a genuine ARL. It shoulddn't be wasted on ego-trippers who reall have no genuine track record in building formidable businesses.

Goddo

Bench
Let's be honest here. It's faceless bureaucrats that run the economy plus the reserve bank, not the politicians. Fact is - Australia had a massive resources boom, the biggest in history, in Howard's time. On this basis, they didn't really achieve anything - just watched the good times roll. Always remember with Honest John: (1) GST - never, ever ,ever; (2) "there are core and non-core promises". Politicians are opportunists and self-promoters - not the talented pasionate business people you need to manage rugby league.

THis is why David Gallop, a News Limited stooge, and Love/Carr plus the CRL dinosaurs have to go. They have had a good ride on reh gravy train and contributed zero.

Geoff Dixon? Look at Qantas' status under his helm. It's a basket case.

This is a massive chance to re-establish a genuine ARL. It shoulddn't be wasted on ego-trippers who reall have no genuine track record in building formidable businesses.

I agree 100%. The Howard term was a massive disapointment in terms of what it actually achieved. He was there a long time, but not much good was done by him being there.

Off topic: More progress has been made in 1 year under Rudd than 10 years of Howard. I see Rudds problem though is that he is going way to fast, trying to do too much too quickly, and somethings are in danger of being done half arsed unless he keeps an eye on them. Eg, the soccer world cup bid, broadband network, et cetera. Internationally, he has been brilliant though behind the scenes.

On John Ribbot... that bloke should be put against a wall and shot, for crimes against Rugby League. That should be item one of the new commission.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What are QRL thinking appointing this man as their mouth piece? Independent needs to mean independent!

Ziggy the God

First Grade
I agree 100%. The Howard term was a massive disapointment in terms of what it actually achieved. He was there a long time, but not much good was done by him being there.

Off topic: More progress has been made in 1 year under Rudd than 10 years of Howard. I see Rudds problem though is that he is going way to fast, trying to do too much too quickly, and somethings are in danger of being done half arsed unless he keeps an eye on them. Eg, the soccer world cup bid, broadband network, et cetera. Internationally, he has been brilliant though behind the scenes.

On John Ribbot... that bloke should be put against a wall and shot, for crimes against Rugby League. That should be item one of the new commission.

Progress? I couldn't be arsed responding to your last mail, as it would take this thread off-topic, but since you want to continue sprouting the Kevin07 mantra...........

If we didn't have APRA and the Government was burdened with the same debt levels as under the Hawke/Keating years, this country would have been pharked.

Why do you think Rudd was able to open his shoulders with such a massive stimulus package? Our 4 banks are all rated AAA, and where not burdened with the same CDO/CDS etc exposures as offshore. Why was that? Why are other countries looking to setup the same type of supervision as we have with APRA?

That said, it is real easy to spend, spend, spend. Labor is good at it.
Lets see how guys like you respond when your taxes will inevitably be jacked up over the course of the next cycle to pay for the $900 that was flushed into the pokies. You will be one of the first to to start bitching how Ruddy has let down the true believers.

Also, please let us know when Rudd gets anything started, because all I can see is review after review, with absolutely nothing being done when they come out. Look to the rubbish that was the 2020 summit, the biggest waste of time and money in Australia's history. I guess Ruddy got some pics next to Blanchett, so not all is lost.

Cheers

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
What are QRL thinking appointing this man as their mouth piece? Independent needs to mean independent!

Another major concern in rugby league is the Boys Club.

Geoff Carr, who -as part of the ARL - should detest Ribot - calls him "Ribes".

despite all the spin about an independent commission, I can just see all the old buddies jumping on the gravy train - which is really what superleague was all about.

All I will say is this. I remember John Howard opposing the construction of Parramatta Stadium. I remember whenever he was photographed during his daily walks, he wore a Wallabies tracksuit. (Where was the Dragons jumper?) I remember him as being one of the most divisive politicians in the country.

I don't vote Labor or Liberal. I don't believe he's the right guy for the job. I don't believe he can unite people. I don't believe he genuinely loves the game and he's far too old nor does he possess the ability to generate fresh ideas.

cheers

Brutus

Referee
I don't vote Labor or Liberal. I don't believe he's the right guy for the job. I don't believe he can unite people. I don't believe he genuinely loves the game and he's far too old nor does he possess the ability to generate fresh ideas.

cheers

Come to think of it, you're probably right there.

But at least the tossing of Howard's name into the mix shows Searle and co. are serious about this commission.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,26190354-5003409,00.html

A man's mission to unite NRL

By Ben English | October 09, 2009 11:00pm

MICHAEL Searle is sipping Earl Grey tea as he gazes through square-rimmed designer glasses across Sydney Harbour and beyond.

We're sitting in the executive club suite of the Sheraton on the Park. Here, 21 floors up, horns blasting from CBD traffic snarls are reduced to a faraway murmur.

It's an image at odds with the burly forward who carted the pill up for Gold Coast during their first NRL incarnation in the late 1980s.

It's also at odds with the no-nonsense chief executive who butted heads with David Gallop until he got his way in 2005, realising a six-year dream to get the Coast back into the comp. And it's certainly at odds with the man charged with perhaps the toughest diplomatic mission since Cain and Abel parted ways - unifying rugby league under one, truly independent governing body.

But, as the front-rower said to the actress, looks can be deceiving.

Beneath the serene exterior purrs an engine that would rival any of

the V8s zooming round Mt Panorama this weekend.

How else could Michael Searle command a thriving accountancy firm, head an international talent management group that boasts some of the world's top surfers, run an

NRL franchise and be responsible for setting up the Indigenous-All Stars game next year? Oh, and there's that small matter of brokering a commission to take over the running of the game.

He may not just be the hardest worker in rugby league, Michael Searle could be the hardest working man in Australia. "I'm an 18-hour-a-day guy," he admits. "But I don't have any difficulty bouncing out of bed on a Monday. I really am living the dream. I was raised a Catholic but if I believed in reincarnation, I'd say

I must have had a really, really crappy life last time around because I've been blessed this time."

Searle can be found at his desk at Titans Marine Parade headquarters in Southport from 5am. The other night he text messaged a colleague at 11.41pm. He is Mr Perpetual Motion of rugby league administration.

Yet today he estimates eight of every 10 waking minutes is spent working on the proposed independent commission.

It's an obsession borne out of not just a love for the game, but a profound knowledge of where he'd be without it. "I owe everything to rugby league," he says. "It gave my grandfather an opportunity after the second world war, it gave my father a career and our family an existence on the Gold Coast that we would never have had if it wasn't for rugby league.

"The only reason that my dad moved from Tamworth and my mum from Werris Creek to the Gold Coast was because that's where he played his football. It's given me an opportunity to get a degree and it's given my children a life they would never have expected.

"So I will dedicate my life to the game for no other reason than the game has been good to me."

From the viewpoint of a boy who grew up in the fast-buck days of the Surfers Paradise white-shoe brigade - those shady property developers that cast a pall over the strip for decades - the game has also been good to his community. "Getting the Titans into the NRL has just unified the city behind a cause," he explains.

"The Gold Coast has always been accused of being soulless. But now it seems to have almost created a level of passion among the kids and that's all anyone cares about. When I was a kid you were almost looked down upon being from the Gold Coast.

"You were almost second class. Now the kids are proud of their city - there's a sense of ownership and community." But one community's league love affair is not enough for Searle. His mission knows no geographic bounds.

He may have been raised a Catholic, but he is spreading the good word of the league with the evangelistic zeal of a missionary man.

Which might just explain how the notion of an independent commission taking over the game from those uneasy bed partners, the Australian Rugby League and News Limited, publisher of The Daily Telegraph, went from dead in the water to an imminent possibility in the space of 17 months.

It was Searle who, in May 2008, assembled fellow NRL CEOs Bruno Cullen (Broncos), Denis Fitzgerald (formerly Eels), Shane Richardson (Rabbitohs), Brian Waldren (Storm), Steve Burraston (Knights) and Tony Zappia (formerly Sharks) for the first meeting to discuss a unified force for league. Fittingly, they met at the game's spiritual home, the SCG.

It was a delicate summit. Two of those present (Waldren and Cullen) ran clubs owned by News Limited so any talk of shifting ownership of the game away from its 50 per cent partners was avoided.

"Any discussions around the shifting of equity was never openly discussed in a group format because

it would have made everyone uncomfortable," Searle recalls.

"So the equity being shifted to a non-profit entity probably came out of a sub-unit of that because the original concept was about restructuring the branding, and the equity shift came out of what we would be aiming for if we were

to move forward for the next

100 years."

That first meeting went all day and into the night. There have been 15 in Sydney since and one on the Gold Coast. They last for three to six hours.

Searle has gathered powerful allies, including Harvey Norman's Katie Page, former Qantas chairman Gary Pemberton and Sydney Roosters chairman Nick Politis.

Politis, one of league's true powerbrokers, helped ensure crucial figures such as Nine Network chief executive David Gyngell got on board. But Searle is adamant a far more potent force has driven the mood for change: the fans.

"Everywhere I go people ask me, 'When are we going to get it?' It's one of the few things I have seen come up in the game where it hasn't been howled down.

"I think people see there is a real benefit to this new structure and everyone wants to see the game

do better."

NRL's well documented off-field troubles this year have only galvanised the mood for reform, says Searle. "I think what (the off-field scandals) did was solidify a lot of fans who said, 'You know, this is part of my fabric ... I did grow up in a rugby league suburb, town or city, I love the game'. I had a discussion with Wayne Bennett the other day. He said, 'I always knew how much Queenslanders love their league, but I never realised the passion down here, they really love it in Sydney'.

"Often when things are bleak and you have dark days, people sit up and say, 'I'd hate to see my game die'.

"You almost have to lose something before you appreciate how valuable it is to you."

Searle has felt that, like when David Gallop rang him on August 16, 2004, to tell him the NRL was rejecting the Gold Coast's reinclusion proposal, that the money would instead be spent on junior development officers.

Searle told the game's chief, "That's fine Dave, that's your choice, but you can stick your development officer and your witch's hat right up your arse."

Nine months later, the Gold Coast were back in the NRL. "When I'm passionate about something, I go hard for it," he says. "I think I've had to substitute hard work because I'm not the most intellectual person in the world - hard work has been the only way I got anywhere."

That work appears ready to deliver Searle his most significant payoff yet: the game he loves being truly unified.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...endent-directors/story-e6frexni-1225785204079

Search starts for independent directors

* By Ben English
* Sat Oct 10 00:00:00 EST 2009 Sat Oct 10 00:00:00 EST 2009

THE proposed independent commission for rugby league represents the most sweeping change to the way the game is run since the Super League war of the mid-1990s.

Ever since the Australian Rugby League and News Limited brokered an uneasy truce in 1998, the idea of one unified body has been largely dismissed as an impossible dream.

Critics have declared the stakeholders were so diametrically opposed it would be impossible to achieve. But it appears rugby league's cold war is thawing rapidly.

While there remain significant hurdles, neither party is opposed to the commission's concept. Several talks have taken place between Michael Searle's committee and influential figures from the ARL and News Limited. The next step is for both parties to garner an agreement for an independent commission, to be run as a not-for-profit entity.

Such a body would oversee the NRL, with its chief executive David Gallop still in charge of the day-to-day running of the game.

The model favoured by Searle's committee is one similar to the National Football League in the US, in which the clubs have no direct say in how the game is run.

This is in contrast with the AFL model, where the clubs have significant power.

News Limited's chief concern is to ensure such a commission is peopled by truly independent directors - not proxies for the old establishments such as the NSWRL and the QRL that have polarised the game for a century.

Insiders say while News is open to the idea of a commission, it will walk away from discussions if the boardroom elections are not sufficiently transparent.

The other stumbling block is News's ownership of the Melbourne Storm. News, as a 50-per-cent owner of the NRL, receives an annual dividend of about $8 million. It ploughs $5 million of this into the Storm, which is seen as a pivotal club in the NRL's battle for TV market share.

By delivering Victorian audiences, the Storm greatly increase the game's appeal to advertisers and therefore to networks willing to bid for rights. Those rights are up for grabs again in 2012 and the NRL is desperate to increase its price from the current $100 million.

Complicating the picture is News's 25 per cent share in Foxtel and 50 per cent ownership of Fox Sports. In a sense, News paid itself for TV rights when Fox Sports bought its five-NRL-games-a-week in the last negotiations.

News is understood to be willing to relinquish its ownership of the Storm and its 50 per cent share of the NRL, as long as any new entity that runs the game continues to subsidise the Storm until they generate a profit.

Some clubs, however, believe News's entire $8 million dividend should be shared among them equally. They resent the Storm receiving such a large subsidy.

The counter view is that while the Storm are strong, the game will grow more rapidly and the TV rights it gleans from such growth will more than compensate the clubs for cross-subsidising the Storm.

Latest posts