What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New NRL commission as News Ltd plans to exit game

Should John Howard chair the NRL commission?

• Total voters

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ocks-john-howard/story-e6freye0-1225785319949

Colin Love's secret deal blocks John Howard

* By Phil Rothfield and Rebecca Wilson
* Sun Oct 11 00:00:00 EST 2009 Sun Oct 11 00:00:00 EST 2009

JOHN Howard is unlikely to become the first chairman of a new NRL commission, even though Gold Coast Titans boss Michael Searle approached the former prime minister to take on the job.

Searle might be one of the men bringing the commission together, but he has not been charged with the responsibility of selecting possible commissioners.

That will come down to discussions between News Ltd (publisher of The Sunday Telegraph), the ARL and NRL clubs.

Searle was obviously unaware of rumours that a secret deal has been struck by News Ltd and the Australian Rugby League to ensure that current ARL chairman Colin Love is handed the chairman's role for two years.

We understand that the only reason the idea of a commission proceeded was because the ARL made it a condition that Love would be the first chairman.

We also understand it is unlikely Love will relinquish that role to anyone, including the former PM.

Last week's The Daily Telegraph story on the approach to Howard caused some angst at NRL headquarters.

Just 24 hours earlier, the federal Labor Government had handed the NRL more than $11million in funding to build a new headquarters.

Certain Labor figures made it well known to the NRL they were not happy about the prospect of Howard becoming chairman when it was the Labor Party which engineered the funding initiative.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Off to a flyer.

As predicted, NewsCorp are refusing to take their filthy fingers out of the pie. They may "leave", but their influence will remain for a long time, it just won't be as evident.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Geez its looking good!

Ribot, Love, some guy from soccer and some ancient ex pm to pee of the incumbent Govt and aboriginal players!

This commision idea is looking just great!

Dogs Of War

Coach
Hahaha, Colin Love said that the ARL aren't standing in the way, but what he meant was as long as I still run the show. The guy is some power hungry moron, why can't he just step aside for the good of the game.

juanfarkall

Coach
The potential damage that may be wrought upon our game by the appointment of someone like Colin Love is a great example of why the creation of a Commission may not be the panacea that some like to believe.
Aside from a warm, shiny "new" feeling I am unconvinced that such a commission will result in anything more than an extra level of egotistical, agenda-driven leeches taking/diverting money out of our game which would be better spent on genuine development and improvement at juniour and school levels.

Dogs Of War

Coach
The potential damage that may be wrought upon our game by the appointment of someone like Colin Love is a great example of why the creation of a Commission may not be the panacea that some like to believe.
Aside from a warm, shiny "new" feeling I am unconvinced that such a commission will result in anything more than an extra level of egotistical, agenda-driven leeches taking/diverting money out of our game which would be better spent on genuine development and improvement at juniour and school levels.

Well honestly, this guy has the right answer below...

http://www.smh.com.au/news/lhqnews/...ape-nrl/2009/10/10/1255019650275.html?page=-1
FIFA's man could help shape NRL

Adrian Proszenko | October 11, 2009

He's the man who masterminded the independent review and commission of Football Australia - and now he's been sounded out about doing a similar job for the NRL.
Anter Isaac, an influential administrator with Football Federation Australia for more than a decade, has met with Titans boss Michael Searle, the architect behind league's push for a new governing body.
The pair were introduced by Bulldogs legend Steve Mortimer, a long-time advocate of an independent rugby league committee. At the meeting, Searle indicated that Isaac, now a consultant to FIFA, could play a role in establishing a body to replace the partnership of News Ltd and the Australian Rugby League.
''I haven't discussed any formal role but they're aware I was involved in the process for football,'' Isaac said. ''Informally, [Searle] said he would get in contact with me and that he believes there is a role for me down the line.
''They're aware of my experience and the fact I now consult to FIFA on matters of organisational performance and assessment, in terms of improving governance and member associations and structure.''
Isaac, whose cousin Lancen Joudo made his NRL debut for Cronulla this year, has the credentials to play a role in a rugby league restructure.
The managing director of business performance consultants Kleinmann Wang, he was an integral part of FFA's restructure and recently advised Lucas Neill regarding the Socceroos' bid for a Western Sydney A-League franchise. Coincidentally, he worked with Searle's sister at Football Australia almost a decade ago.
While he stressed there was no formal approach for his services, Isaac confirmed he would like to be involved in the biggest shake-up in league's 102-year history.
Asked for his initial thoughts on how league could improve its structure, Isaac said: ''What I did suggest was that before any independent commission is instituted, there needs to be an independent review into the game. I'm very strong on that. I believe that each [stakeholder] needs to be heard.
''There needs to be a detailed understanding of what each of them brings and how they can each become more effective in propelling the game forward.
''I ask the people I've spoken to for the strategy for the game - not just for five or 10 years but 10 or 20 years. A lot of the time they don't seem to know. From what I can understand, the stakeholders haven't been part of that process. They need to be because they're at the grassroots.
''That's one thing that soccer did [in 2003] but perhaps not as well as they should have.
''I think we can do it better than the AFL did it 25 years ago and what football did five years ago.''
Meanwhile, John Ribot, one of the architects of the Super League war and now a member of the Queensland Rugby League, vehemently denied speculation he was angling for a commissioner's role.
''One of the great furphies that's come out is that I want to be an independent commissioner - nothing could be further from the truth,'' Ribot said from San Francisco.
''That's not an ambition at all, but I want the game to have an independent commission.''
There were rumours that News Ltd may be prepared to step away from the game as soon as November 1. A potential stumbling block is the fate of the Melbourne Storm once News Ltd divests its interests in the club.
Ribot said the new governing body had to ensure the Storm's future - and said a $30 million guarantee to the club over a five-year period would be a good start.
Before anything else happens, this needs to start (bolded part of article). Until then, you can't be sure what you are fixing. Don't get me wrong, still look for people on the committee, but having a plan as well to go along with it, will really help the game. Maybe that could be the role of the independent commission from the outset? Get this investigation started.

j5o6hn

Juniors
Why do RL have love affairs with incompetent idiots,this bloke along with a lot of others should be no where near the new commission,he should just retire

juanfarkall

Coach
Asked for his initial thoughts on how league could improve its structure, Isaac said: ''What I did suggest was that before any independent commission is instituted, there needs to be an independent review into the game. I'm very strong on that. I believe that each [stakeholder] needs to be heard.
''There needs to be a detailed understanding of what each of them brings and how they can each become more effective in propelling the game forward.
''I ask the people I've spoken to for the strategy for the game - not just for five or 10 years but 10 or 20 years. A lot of the time they don't seem to know. From what I can understand, the stakeholders haven't been part of that process. They need to be because they're at the grassroots.

This Issac fellow has a good agent/spinner on his books.
Neither an independent commission nor a review is neccessary to come up with the section you highlighted.
Similarly aside from the renaming of the A-League and the imposition of the "bail out the top level" levy on junior players, little has changed in soccer in this country. The Soccerroos are only successful due to the efforts of foreign clubs.

There are not very many people who make a living out of the game or who get in to matches for free that have much idea of what is happening at the level which is kept alive by volunteers and "family business" sponsors.

Brutus

Referee
I nearly choked on my cornflakes when I read the news this morning.

I really fear for the future of this great game.

Billythekid

First Grade
I give up. We have been waiting so long for things to finally improve and now we may get even worse.

I'm sick of sitting back and watching a bunch of geniused monkeys who don't even give a sh*t about the game continue to run it into the ground.

joanne

Accredited Media Releases
I'm guessing it was probably this:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ocks-john-howard/story-e6freye0-1225785319949

JOHN Howard is unlikely to become the first chairman of a new NRL commission, even though Gold Coast Titans boss Michael Searle approached the former prime minister to take on the job.

Searle might be one of the men bringing the commission together, but he has not been charged with the responsibility of selecting possible commissioners.

That will come down to discussions between News Ltd (publisher of The Sunday Telegraph), the ARL and NRL clubs.

Searle was obviously unaware of rumours that a secret deal has been struck by News Ltd and the Australian Rugby League to ensure that current ARL chairman Colin Love is handed the chairman's role for two years.
We understand that the only reason the idea of a commission proceeded was because the ARL made it a condition that Love would be the first chairman.
We also understand it is unlikely Love will relinquish that role to anyone, including the former PM.

Last week's The Daily Telegraph story on the approach to Howard caused some angst at NRL headquarters.
Just 24 hours earlier, the federal Labor Government had handed the NRL more than $11million in funding to build a new headquarters.
Certain Labor figures made it well known to the NRL they were not happy about the prospect of Howard becoming chairman whenit was the Labor Party which engineered the funding initiative.

Brutus

Referee
Damn. I was excited about the possibility of Johnny being the head of the new commission.

Janette Howard would be a better choice than Colin Love.

Honestly, this is a massive kick to the head of the commission's credo.

Might as well leave it the way it is.

Iafeta

Referee
It's kind of ironic that a plan to progress rugby league under the direction of John Howard has been scuttled by politics.

JW

Coach
It all seemed too good to be true with this commission bringing a fresh start, but now reality has struck. Farging Rugby League and cronyism, it gives me the sh*ts.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
How is it possible that an independent commission would include the head of one of the current factions??

Is it just me or does seem to defeat the whole purpose?